Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

V10 Ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DUDE, BUILD THAT THING!! I'm all for keepin VW engines in VWs but I think it's cool when someone builds something crazy like this!

OOOHHH he's chopin up a VW! Big Whoop! People screw up these cars all the time, this build seems cool enough.

Who knows, it may even turn some people onto to VWs that didn't like them before.

Keep us posted!
kjwalters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottz wrote:
DUDE, BUILD THAT THING!! I'm all for keepin VW engines in VWs but I think it's cool when someone builds something crazy like this!

OOOHHH he's chopin up a VW! Big Whoop! People screw up these cars all the time, this build seems cool enough.

Who knows, it may even turn some people onto to VWs that didn't like them before.

Keep us posted!

Thanks Allot, that is exactly the way we have been thinking. This car will be finished. Check out the build site for regular updates and pictures. www.deanzrodzandracecarz.com
Thank for the comment.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottz wrote:

Keep us posted!
365,000 Ghias built in 19 years. This is akin to someone taking a Bus and making a shorty out of it because he'd seen it done before and "it looked so totally cool" Rolling Eyes Worse than that is a Shorty pickup. IMHO, it sends the wrong message in trying to get people into the hobby.
Crocco58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that any volkswagen should at least have a volkswagen engin in it.
scottz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever... THERE ARE NO RULES!

Perhaps we shouldn't consider this a VW but more of a HYBRID.

Maybe he should put a FERRARI engine in it! You know, keep it all Italian! Wink

But seriously, there are a lot of purests here and like I said, I like my VW engines, but if someone gets enjoyment out of building a FULL CUSTOM car then so be it. Not everyone's cup of tea, but still interesting. I'm going to keep an open mind!
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be pretty cool if it was rear engine and also a trike, like something out of Tron or something.

Motorwagen LLC
Concord NC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottz wrote:

Perhaps??

One thing for sure it's not a Volkswagen. Perhaps it should have been posted in a Viper or a Custom Forum. It adds nothing to the hobby.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottz wrote:
Whatever... THERE ARE NO RULES!

Maybe he should put a FERRARI engine in it! You know, keep it all Italian! Wink

But seriously, there are a lot of purests here and like I said, I like my VW engines, but if someone gets enjoyment out of building a FULL CUSTOM car then so be it. Not everyone's cup of tea, but still interesting. I'm going to keep an open mind!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=149769

Scroll through there and you'll see a couple of "cool custom" Ghias with a V8 stuffed under both the front and the rear. Notice the appropriate title of the thread as well.
SkrapMetal
Samba Hornblaster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea. As long as it's not chopped and it doesn't look hacked, and still maintains a somewhat stock look, I would love to see the finished product. Stock nazi's will hate it, but thats not news.
scottz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
scottz wrote:

Perhaps??

One thing for sure it's not a Volkswagen. Perhaps it should have been posted in a Viper or a Custom Forum. It adds nothing to the hobby.

Well of course it's not a VW!!
When I used the word 'perhaps' I guess I meant it as kind of a suggestion to all the people that were freakin out over the build.

To say it adds NOTHING to the hobby seems like a very closed minded statement. Surely it adds SOMETHING! Inspiration? Spark the imagination a little?

Many people find it interesting. It dosen't take up much space here on our forum. I'm glad I was exposed to it!

In fact, maybe we should make this topic a STICKY! J/K!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I say…”this project adds nothing to the hobby”, that’s not “close minded” it’s a statement of fact. This forum is a VW Technical Forum and this project has little or no value to someone looking for information. inspiration or guidance in restoring or running their Karmann Ghia…the very reason for this Forum’s creation.

If it’s “Inspiration” or something to “Spark the imagination” you want in a Karmann Ghia build I suggest you go back and re-read Grelland’s Ghia project, it will give you everything you crave: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=263825

Grelland’s project has brought together all Karmann Ghia fans on this forum…because of that he has my sincere thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottz wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
scottz wrote:

Perhaps??

Well of course it's not a VW!!
When I used the word 'perhaps' I guess I meant it as kind of a suggestion to all the people that were freakin out over the build.

To say it adds NOTHING to the hobby seems like a very closed minded statement. Surely it adds SOMETHING! Inspiration? Spark the imagination a little?

Many people find it interesting. It dosen't take up much space here on our forum. I'm glad I was exposed to it!

In fact, maybe we should make this topic a STICKY! J/K!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
IMHO, this thread belongs in the Reader's Rides for the obvious reason John stated (meaning this car brings nothing "technical" to this particular forum.)
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Moved from Ghia Forum Reply with quote

Icy wrote:
IMHO, this thread belongs in the Reader's Rides for the obvious reason John stated (meaning this car brings nothing "technical" to this particular forum.)

Thanks Gary, yes I think it's a solution that will satisfy all factions.

Last edited by John Moxon on Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Lee.
Samba Animal Controller

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet the 'project' never gets completed.
delamaize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am late to the game but, Dear God Why?
His non-attention to detail really sets it apart. I see a new trend.......call it " 'tard ride".
Sled wrote:
The tard box will live again!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeadEndVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delamaize wrote:
I am late to the game but, Dear God Why?

Why not? Have you all checked the classifieds lately? Pages and pages of cars and buses nobody wants to buy.(Even "Uber cheap split windows with potential.") KJWalters sounds like hes from the old school thinking. Bigger motor, tires, brakes, ect... is cool to him. I would bet most of you naysayers either couldnt afford or have the skills to make it happen. After looking at his site I know he does. So what if he hacks up another POS ghia? Obviously nobody else wanted to do anything with it.

KJ build it and when your done you can show it at the new and improved Tulsa show in Sept.
freednighthawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ffs people, cant you do something other than whine about someone doing what THEY want to do with their car?

I don't know about you guys, but I kinda get sick of looking at the same "slammed on earlies" cars posted over and over and over again on this forum. Is it such a sin for someone to have a little imagination and want to do something away from the norm?

Personally, I love this topic, but then again, I've got a few anti-purist ideas of my own.

Only thing I would like you to do differently, is use a better camera!
Memph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool project, props for doing something different Cool
bugpowered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to add my two cents for whatever its worth. I hear the argument on both sides fundamentally this project adds nothing to the technical forum for newcomers. However, it does lend credence to creativity to think outside the box. This is exactly what has helped VWs transcend time forever evolving. Who would of thought narrowed links would be the rage. I didn't ten years ago, but someone had to venture into uncharted waters to be the first. I applaud this build for one big reason. Many outside the VW community have little to no respect for our love and passion in our VWs. What they are attempting to build helps draw in Hot Rodders, Ricers, and a whole new plethra of people who would not normally be drawn into our ranks. All it takes is a taste and then you are hooked. I am sure that we can all agree somewhere in our past we saw an inspiration that sparked our journey into VWs. All I can suggest is that during your build pay close attention to fit and finish. Anyone can hack up a car, but one that looks as if it could have rolled off the assembly-line if the technologies of today existed back then is a beautiful thing. I personally love all sort of VWs in many shapes and forms. I could only hope that I was afforded the opportunity to have a VW grace the cover of a magazine. If this project is done well it will be applauded...if not it will be just like the pages the notes and drawings are now on...discarded and forgotten after time. With that being said...Good Luck.
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why the wimpy V10? Move up to a man's powerplant:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Oh, and if you can put one of these into a trike or bus there should be no problem with a Ghia!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 30

Jump to: