Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

V10 Ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

midman914 wrote:
That's hilarious. Every time I hear dudes talking Dodge, I always hear the "cam sensor" mentioned. Seems to be a real problem with them.
Yep, the sensor has a slight design flaw: It picks up pulses from a magnet embedded in the cam, which fine, except that the supplier covered the sensor head with a steel cap which becomes magnetized... I'd post a picture of the one I swapped out of a PT Cruiser a few weeks ago, but I tossed it in the trash.
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything is beautiful until final execution. The enlarged grilles, odd two tone layout, and snaking up the engine worked super hard to cheese up a classy ride. The hardest part can be knowing when to stop before the car starts looking like a cartoon character.

It's like taking the mona lisa and saying...."Hmmm you know what'll make it look better, a bitchin goatee, maybe some glasses and pointy elf ears."

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chazz79 wrote:
Everything is beautiful until final execution. The enlarged grilles, odd two tone layout, and snaking up the engine worked super hard to cheese up a classy ride. The hardest part can be knowing when to stop before the car starts looking like a cartoon character.

It's like taking the mona lisa and saying...."Hmmm you know what'll make it look better, a bitchin goatee, maybe some glasses and pointy elf ears."

I agree, that paint job just doesn't flow. If they had to have a 2 tone, I would have done the roof only like early ghias.

Not a fan of all the LED lights too - looks like off the shelf stuff from Pep Boys and just bolted on.
Zach Thomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many cool elements but I can't enjoy the final product. This is one of those cars that was incredible in bare metal, but IMO looks cheesy now that it's completed. I usually just hate cars built for show though Razz And whether or not this car can perform is beside the point, somebody spent a lot of time trying to make it look "like a show-car" or "custom." I do respect the amount of time, effort and skill however.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any video of this thing running yet?
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
Is there any video of this thing running yet?

Not yet, still waiting on the cam sensor...

Laughing
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwfye wrote:
Fantastic car! If someone tossed me the keys for a test drive, I sure wouldn't turn come back.

Fixed it for ya Very Happy
Romans 6:13
WTB 67 beetle rear seat belts.
59 Euro ragtop build with my dad
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
65 dlx Slow build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391061
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zach Thomas wrote:
So many cool elements but I can't enjoy the final product. This is one of those cars that was incredible in bare metal, but IMO looks cheesy now that it's completed. I usually just hate cars built for show though Razz And whether or not this car can perform is beside the point, somebody spent a lot of time trying to make it look "like a show-car" or "custom." I do respect the amount of time, effort and skill however.

Agreed. I was really pscyhed about this car when it was in bare metal. The engineering and fabrication that went into the chassis and drivetrain was a work of art in and of itself. Then dean got sick and the project stalled. Glad dean is better and the car got done, but I think the shop involved with the body and paint watched one too many episodes of "Pimp My Ride"
tacochris
OG Paint Archeologist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im going to bring back a 3-pages-ago issue:
I personally dont know Chip Foose, nor can I vouch for who he is as a person, but no where in any media he has done nor any interview Ive seen has he displayed any "asshat or douche-like behavior" that would lead anyone to believe that, on the contrary he has remained a very down to earth dude, even going so far as to sign my friend Rob's arm in vegas so he can get the signature tattoo'd.
....unless he has a secret youtube video where he kicks a puppy with kitten shoes I havent seen it. If simply taking a VW bus and customizing it as Germany didnt intend makes him an asshat then this site is shoulder deep in asshats....
Have some class people, we're mostly men here, and men shouldnt talk s#$% about others they dont know like a bunch of women in a shoe-store.

"Nothing will ever be as nice as original paint, no matter how much is or isnt left"

"Those that confuse hoodride with the OG paint movement definitely have their wires crossed. Its all about preservation, pulling out its true potential while hoodride is about purposely making something look like a piece of shit." -SKIM
cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tacochris wrote:
I personally dont know Chip Foose, nor can I vouch for who he is as a person, but no where in any media he has done nor any interview Ive seen has he displayed any "asshat or douche-like behavior" that would lead anyone to believe that, on the contrary he has remained a very down to earth dude, even going so far as to sign my friend Rob's arm in vegas so he can get the signature tattoo'd.
....unless he has a secret youtube video where he kicks a puppy with kitten shoes I havent seen it. If simply taking a VW bus and customizing it as Germany didnt intend makes him an asshat then this site is shoulder deep in asshats....
Have some class people, we're mostly men here, and men shouldnt talk s#$% about others they dont know like a bunch of women in a shoe-store.

Agreed. Not sure where the "Let's Kick Chip Foose" came from .. I have never heard anything bad about him, and at least the persona he projects on Overhaulin' is that of a pretty decent guy. Also, any yahoo can customize a vehicle beyond recognition .. Foose designs accentuate the original designs and enhance and improve upon them without losing what the car was originally. Sometimes it takes more talent to hold back the reigns rather than go ape shit with something. I also think one of the reasons Foose and Boyd clashed so much was when Foose worked for Boyd, he realized what an A-hole Boyd was and how crummy he treated his employees.
tacochris
OG Paint Archeologist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cseay1 wrote:
tacochris wrote:

Agreed. Not sure where the "Let's Kick Chip Foose" came from .. I have never heard anything bad about him, and at least the persona he projects on Overhaulin' is that of a pretty decent guy. Also, any yahoo can customize a vehicle beyond recognition .. Foose designs accentuate the original designs and enhance and improve upon them without losing what the car was originally. Sometimes it takes more talent to hold back the reigns rather than go ape shit with something. I also think one of the reasons Foose and Boyd clashed so much was when Foose worked for Boyd, he realized what an A-hole Boyd was and how crummy he treated his employees.

Exactly...Take Jesse James for example, I think that guy is freakin awesome...however, he is a bit of a douche, but I kinda like that about him, he says what he means and stands up for himself. ...but Chip Foose? Really? Hes like the Bob Ross of car customizers....he may be out there but he hasnt been a doosh.

"Nothing will ever be as nice as original paint, no matter how much is or isnt left"

"Those that confuse hoodride with the OG paint movement definitely have their wires crossed. Its all about preservation, pulling out its true potential while hoodride is about purposely making something look like a piece of shit." -SKIM
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ I agree. I don't often care for Foose's designs, but that is not a personal judgement of him. Same with Jesse James.

Not sure how this thread branched into the Chip Foose bashing thread. Doesn't really belong here.

I don't care for the paint design on this Ghia, but the execution is excellent. I feel it would have looked great with a factory two-tone, like the red lower with the black top.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

tacochris
OG Paint Archeologist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take the blame for rehashing the Foose thing....I was a little irritated by the whole thing.
On to the ghia: Hell we knew what it was gonna become when the thread was started, Im not sure why everyones surprised it ended up being an over the top show rod. However I will say the execution is indeed well done. I cant count the number of hotrodders I run into at shows that say thing to the effect of "Man i would love to shove a 58 in one of those...blah blah" This guy just got ahold of one and did it....Lol
Anyone thats read hotrod magazine for any length of time knows they cant resist shoving giant engines into little cars....

cdennisg wrote:
^^^ I agree. I don't often care for Foose's designs, but that is not a personal judgement of him. Same with Jesse James.

Not sure how this thread branched into the Chip Foose bashing thread. Doesn't really belong here.

I don't care for the paint design on this Ghia, but the execution is excellent. I feel it would have looked great with a factory two-tone, like the red lower with the black top.

tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just read this thread
.... Shocked wow Shocked
did anyone drive this thing already, or is it purely for display....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tacochris wrote:
.. Hes like the Bob Ross of car customizers....

That's what this Ghia is missing .. it just needs some happy little trees painted on it! Laughing

Bob Ross quote: "Trees cover up a multitude of sins."

http://www.bobrossquotes.com/quotes.shtml
hemifalcon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen this machine today at the Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals in Chicago..
Pretty incredible work..

I spoke with the owner of The Custom Shop--the car is an awesome piece of fabrication/engineering.. But-it's truly form over function with it's design..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63Ragtop NZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aw those rear wheel arch's still don't look right, even on a full custom you should not mess with some things.
j-sou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was at SEMA a couple weeks ago too. I think I spaced on getting pics of it there though. Busy week....
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats cool, but does it run?
cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
Thats cool, but does it run?

Link
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 29 of 30

Jump to: