Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mid engine vw trike question
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stockcar1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Mid engine vw trike question Reply with quote

I am thinking about building a mid engine vw trike for my wife. Does anybody have any suggestions. Surely you cant just turm motor and trans around. Would have several gears in reverse and one in forward, would it not? Mark
P.S. Already checked out badd ass trike's site. Don't understand the two transmission thing. Question
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on one right now, sort of (no time!). You'll need to flip the ring gear in the tranny if you're using air cooled VW power. You don't need two transmissions...that's just retarded thinking there. Check out www.btw-trikers.org as it's strictly a triker site
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jody714
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a Type 1 trans you'll have to flip the ring gear to the other side OR get a Bus trans that had reduction gears and you wont have to flip it. And just use the ONE trans.

Jody
'67 Bug Deluxe
'69 Fatchick
'69 Baja
'73 Squareback
3-Dune Buggy's
3- Trikes
NIASE/ASE Master Mechanic
Low Country VW Club
Southern Integrity Aircoolers
drscope wrote:
If the guys on TV can do it in an hour, you should be able to get it done in 60 days!
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking through the trike sight posted, some pretty cool stuff. Look what I came across.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Project#2. Neighbors build up. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327008
jody714
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Waste of a trans housing ^^^^

Better to use ONE trans and move the seat a little more forward. Still have the weight forward concept but with better leg room and movement.

Jody
'67 Bug Deluxe
'69 Fatchick
'69 Baja
'73 Squareback
3-Dune Buggy's
3- Trikes
Low Country VW Club
drscope wrote:
If the guys on TV can do it in an hour, you should be able to get it done in 60 days!
kickinkz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The transmission is bolted to the engine is emptied and a shaft goes through there to the working transmission....the one bolted to the engine acts more like a spacer...I've been checking in to Bad Ass Trikes....if things hadn't gotten so screwy with the economy, I would have ordered a frame for a winter project....unfortunately I had to sell most of my stuff for building a trike.

Later
Phil
Ruptured Tortoise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to TheSamba kickinkz and sorry to hear of your sacrifice in these hard times.

The VW Trike build has interested me as well. I like the idea of all my machines having interchangable engines, it leaves me with a pleathera of spare parts and options. Not to mention I have everything in my garage to make it happen except the frame. This is the first time I've heard of "Bad Ass Trikes". When it's not so late I'll delve into it some more. A ready built frame sounds good since I'm not in practice with a torch. The Sweedish Trike Garage is where I've found a lot of inspiration but the frame plans are all in Sweedish. http://hem.passagen.se/trike/engelsk/ramareng.htm

p.s. You know, a way around flipping the differential would be to use a 914 transaxle.

66 Beetle
67 Karmann Ghia
68 Bay Window Camper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wildb4762
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Mid engine trike Reply with quote

I am just about 2/3 finished with a trike that started with a frame from Bad Ass Trike Company. Mark is a great help and I am pleased with parts bought from him. Email me at [email protected] and I can send you some pics.
jody714
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be starting a mid-engine one soon with a 914 5 speed gearbox. Should be an interesting build.

Jody
'67 Bug Deluxe
'69 Fatchick
'69 Baja
'73 Squareback
3-Dune Buggy's
3- Trikes
Low Country VW Club
drscope wrote:
gleep_54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Mid engine trike Reply with quote

So- has anyone here completed, is still working on their version of a mid engine trike? Has anyone been able to get Bad Ass Trike to respond to them?

I'm commencing a build and would love any feedback that anyone has regards this project. Starting from scratch, have a motor core, transaxle core and an emptied trans case.

Any and all replies are appreciated!

Thanks,
Pat
vwbug72501
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject: Mid engine trike question Reply with quote

Check out Front Engine Trikes post on The Samba by DeathBySnuSnu. He has a slick built from scratch front engine trike that he's been riding for years. He also posts at Triketalk.com forum. I'm working on my own version but am not ready to post yet as I'm still collecting some parts.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: