Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 European Standard, what was OG
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mabbo wrote:
Hello,

I have a RHD UK spec 1968 1200 model Beetle that I posted on another thread in the late Beetle section - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6426799#6426799

Someone on there pointed me towards this thread and I have just read through it... I found it very interesting Smile

If any of you are interested, these are some of the features of how my Beetle left the factory... I'm sure you know most of this anyway:

Body:
Early heater channels
Bonnet pull under dash
Late bonnet with no vents or chrome
Decklid with no vents
Running boards with no trim
No chrome in window rubbers
Blade bumpers
Painted quarter light frame and indicator housings
Early rear lights
4 stud, drums all around, swing axle long axle.
No mirror on passenger side door

Interior:
Speedo with no fuel gauge - early style
67 rear view mirror - black
Low back seats with no locking mechanism
Painted door handles
Door handles similar to dash grab handle
No chrome on dash
Main beam switch behind pedals
1200 steering wheel - no D horn push
Small headliner

Not sure if it would have come with a single sun visor or a pair.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cheers

Yes, very interesting indeed! Thanks for posting. There were never any standards sold Brand New in the US at all, so the info you have provided is new to most.

FWIW, I once owned a LHD '67 Std delivered new to Holland, and it did not have a passenger sun visor if that's any help.

You can also add to your Body list the front fenders. They are similar to our US only '67's, but VW moved the horn grilles out further for some unknown reason. Most people assume those fenders are cheap re-pops, but they are in fact Genuine VW. From what I've researched, they used them on Late Model Standards up until '72. Perhaps you can confirm the span of years used?

I'm curious if your outside door handles are the button type as used on US '67's, or are they the trigger type as used on '68 up Beetles? Either way I wouldn't think your car came with a locking passenger door handle, did it?

Have you ever found any VW literature or brochures on the car? That would also be very interesting to see.

I hope you start a build topic on it, as I would like to follow along.

Thanks again and have a Happy New Year.
Cheers!

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
mabbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Thanks for the point about the sun visors. When I got the car there was a pair fitted, they were the earlier type and looked like they had been fitted for quite a while so I assume they were original, but Im not sure.

My front wings are repro Im afraid. I can take measurements if you like? The blade bumpers stayed until 73 I think, so thats when the wings would have changed.

The door handles are the late style, not 67 style. The passenger door uses the original key, the drivers door has an aftermarket handle and key. I guess the handle on the passenger door may have originally been on the drivers door though and moved to the passenger side when the aftermarket handle was fitted to the drivers door? I dont think any 68 or newer Beetle had handles that had no key? My old 67 1500 deluxe had a lock on the drivers side but not the passenger.

I used to have a users manual but I have no idea where it is Sad Im looking for another. I think Im going to get a birth cert from VW too.

I have a build thread on a UK forum. Here is a link to it http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=790812

Thanks again,
Neil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite sure the fenders for Euro spec Standards were made new just like yours are.
Here is another example of a GB standard with them (not sure of exactly what year it is though, or if it has had some trim upgrades on the windows)...

Lots of Brits on this site, Germans too and people there have posted pics of their Econo Beetles with those fenders as well...
http://cal-look.no/lounge/

In the 70'-'80's you could buy them new here at VW dealers as US '67 replacements too.

What makes you say yours are re-pops?

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - The 8/71 parts book shows the same part number for the front fenders for M611 (which meant 12V vertical headlights) in 1967 and the Standard 111,112,115,116 models starting in 1968. http://oacdp.org/type1part/8060.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mabbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That white bug is on a K registration which is a 72.

The front wings / fenders on my bug are the correct ones for the year / model, but they are reproduction not genuine. The original wings were rotten. I bought these a few years ago.

Although, I have seen quite a few standard models that have a single horn grill - like here http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a135/chris67bug/img008.jpg
Not sure why some have a single grill and some have two?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
classiccult Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello VW Standard Fans. I have a 1965 1200A. The restoration is just finished. Anyway, I have a question.

This is a picture of the original side mirror.

I painted the mirror arm in steel grey (L328) and I used 3000 abrasive paper for the head. So after the restoration, now the mirror head is dull aluminum. I think it is not so clever to put paint on the mirror head, because when you adjust the mirror the color will flake off. By the way, I painted the mounting screw in L328 too.

Should the mirror head be painted in steel grey?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please follow the link, if you want more information about 1965 VW 1200A with 30hp and 34hp:
http://www.classiccult.com/blog/vw-1200a/

Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So according to the two links you could order a 1200 "A" with a 36hp or a 40 hp?
I was advised and understood that in 1964 a standard model was just called the Standard or 111 or 112. In 1965 the 111 or 112 was called for the first time something else and called the "A" Sedan. In 1966 the 111 or 112 had a new name, called the 1200 "A".
The link clearly shows a 1200"A" as a 1965 model, the link also shows the car with a 40hp engine.
My 65 "A" Sedan is a numbers matching car and has a 36hp engine.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think every time he says "after they came back from the summer holidays" he's talking about the change to model year 1966.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. When you follow my link you find lots of good info Smile

1) VW 1200A brochure, printed 08-1965 = VW 1200A model 1966, 34hp
In the case you ordered a VW 1200A in 11/1965, then you recieved this VW

2) VW 1200A brochure, printed 01-1965 = VW 1200A model 1965, 30hp, first 1200A
In the case you ordered a VW 1200A in 03/1965, then you recieved this VW

>I was advised and understood that in 1964 a standard model was just called the Standard
YES, thats true.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
I think every time he says "after they came back from the summer holidays" he's talking about the change to model year 1966.

Andy, here is the strange thing about the link. It shows a 40 hp or removable generator stand engine and that would indicate a 1966 1200"A", but in the next picture it shows a 65 dash instead of the 66 dash. How do I know this? 1966 1200"A" cars have a center defroster just like the deluxe 113-114 model and 65 "A" Sedans and deluxes do not have a center defroster.
It's probably just another VW advert/owners manual type screw up.
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=336263& Reply with quote

All I know is;

MAN, I WANT ONE OF THOSE STEERING WHEELS!!!

I guess I'll just have to make one. Very Happy
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
glutamodo wrote:

Andy, here is the strange thing about the link. It shows a 40 hp or removable generator stand engine and that would indicate a 1966 1200"A", but in the next picture it shows a 65 dash instead of the 66 dash. How do I know this? 1966 1200"A" cars have a center defroster just like the deluxe 113-114 model and 65 "A" Sedans and deluxes do not have a center defroster.
It's probably just another VW advert/owners manual type screw up.

Something else I noticed about the second picture ( dash) , 65 "A" sedan is the last year for not only for the 36hp engine, but also the 28PCI manual choke. That picture shows no manual choke cable pull and no center dash vent...talk about a VW publication confusion! It's not a 65 "A" sedan dash nor a 66 1200"A" dash!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Standard Fans.

1) VW 1200A brochure, printed 08-1965 = VW 1200A model 1966
-140kmh Speedo, no manual choke, no center defroster (=early “1966” 1200A without defroster)
-140kmh Speedo, no manual choke, with center defroster (=late “1966” 1200A with defroster)

VW put always the old “cheap” parts in a 1200A.
A 1966 1200A had a ragtop. A 1966 1300 had a sunroof.
A 1966 1200A had a split steering wheel. A 1966 1300 had the new steering wheel.

I think, about 09/1965 VW produced the “1966” VW but they still had “1965” dashboards without the center defroster in stock which they put in the “1966” 1200A.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

classiccult wrote:
Hello Standard Fans.

1) VW 1200A brochure, printed 08-1965 = VW 1200A model 1966
-140kmh Speedo, no manual choke, no center defroster (=early “1966” 1200A without defroster)
-140kmh Speedo, no manual choke, with center defroster (=late “1966” 1200A with defroster)

VW put always the old “cheap” parts in a 1200A.
A 1966 1200A had a ragtop. A 1966 1300 had a sunroof.
A 1966 1200A had a split steering wheel. A 1966 1300 had the new steering wheel.

I think, about 09/1965 VW produced the “1966” VW but they still had “1965” dashboards without the center defroster in stock which they put in the “1966” 1200A.

One last note about steering wheels. !965 "A" Sedan in the Canadian model called the 1200 Custom uses the 1956-1959 deluxe steering wheel. See on page 3 of this thread.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

classiccult wrote:

Well, as has been mentioned/debated before in one of these 1200A threads, Progressive Refinements has that date at December 1st.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello glutamodo, thanks for the good information.
gitchesum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So were more stds sold than Delux or Customs ???

57 SC
61 rag w/356B brakes
61 356B
Honda XLR 250, 69 Z50, Yamaha 100 Enduro...and others.
GMC SLT 4x4 Dmax
Kubota L3710, not enuf attachments.
And various VW's that come and go...
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, the Standard (and the Canadian Custom) were the bottom of the barrel cheap-ass model - they were produced in small quantities compared to the mainstream Deluxe models. There was a LOT more Deluxes made!
FPCT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LHG wrote:
Here is the Birth Certificate for my 66.
Confirms it's a post 63 Factory Ragtop Model 115

I haven't deciphered the motor description. Any ideas?
Thanks

Your car is from the same month/year as mine.

My beetle is a June 1966 European version and apart from the paint and color of the seats all the rest is OG, according to the research I did in The Samba.

Here are some pictures:

The 1300cc is a strong motor and revy so I am a bit curious about the 1200.

I started the restoration of mine and its all in parts, or else I would share more photos so you could make a comparison. Will follow this thread Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 16

Jump to: