Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing the front clip on my bug?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjbtsi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Replacing the front clip on my bug? Reply with quote

I need to replace the front clip on my 66' bug, but I kinda want to do it myself as well as the rest of the body work. The front clip is the only major repair that I need to do. I just need some help on how to go about this. I'm not very experienced in body work so any tips and pics would be great.
blarneyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How bad is the damage to the front of your car? Could you post some pics?
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just broke down and bought the 61-65 Bently manual. Has more than you want to know about doing this......
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kjbtsi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to post some pics as soon as possible. I was trying to bang it out myself but I'm not sure its salvagable?
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an fyi - there are some decent quarters and patch panels available. Getting ready to replace passenger front quarter, apron, spare tirewell and the front section of the drivers side ( bumper bracket area).

I got my panels from Wolfsburg West. This is not trivial to do, but people do it all the time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some pics in my gallery of two different front clips ( out of the many I felt like taking pics of) using original donor clips...

and there are some other threads on here with similar pics and details.

Andy is right though, you may not need to do the "whole clip"... you should post pics and let's see your damage.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kjbtsi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get my computer to read my camera memory card, once I fix that I will be able to post some pics.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a suggestion - take a look at a couple VW supplier websites and scope out their panels to get some ideas of what is available.

Couple things to think about and you will probably get other posts with similar comments. The original metal is heavier and will fit better than any aftermarket parts.

Some aftermarket parts are not very good. One thing that I have heard to stay away from repeatedly is the one piece apron repair assembly (apron, spare tire well, etc). Other Samba posters (as well as one VW shop and Wolfsburg West) said that you end up having to cut it apart to make it fit.

For me being in the northeast, finding good original parts is not easy, let alone removing them from a junk car. I went new, but from a good supplier.
kjbtsi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

had to redo it sorry
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

the passenger side was worse but I banged it out a bit, it was basically flat with the edge of the front apron. the main problem is the passenger side where the gas tank mounts is bent down and the bottom of the spare tire well is just a crumpled up mess, ill try to take some pictures of that soon.
skalywags
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Here's a suggestion - take a look at a couple VW supplier websites and scope out their panels to get some ideas of what is available.

Couple things to think about and you will probably get other posts with similar comments. The original metal is heavier and will fit better than any aftermarket parts.

Some aftermarket parts are not very good. One thing that I have heard to stay away from repeatedly is the one piece apron repair assembly (apron, spare tire well, etc). Other Samba posters (as well as one VW shop and Wolfsburg West) said that you end up having to cut it apart to make it fit.

For me being in the northeast, finding good original parts is not easy, let alone removing them from a junk car. I went new, but from a good supplier.

So are the panels from say Wolfberg West, MidAmerica, and some of these other places actually from different manufacturers? It seems liek most sites and catalogs have the same pictures. I'm asking becasue I'm doing the same thing, and need to buy an apron, bottom spare tire well, and right side bottom quarter patch. I'm putting on some used quarter panels.
kjbtsi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering about that as well. So far wolfsberg west seems like it has some better stuff, but I want to try and use as much original panels as possible

1966 Bug Bahama Blue(my first car)
1958 Euro Bug
1962 Pearl White Bug
1970 Fastback Clementine
1966 Fastback VW Blue
1970 Fastback Diamond Blue
1967 Bug
1963 VW Variant
1963 Karmann Ghia Ruby Red
1969 VW Variant
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would seek out an original donor clip for that damage and do it just like the pics in my gallery show... I don't trust the aftermarket "metal" to fit and there are still plenty of good clips for that year around/not so rare like early clips.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kjbtsi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I was thinking, I've seen a few aftermarket ones and I was not impressed at all. I just have to learn to weld and get better at body work before I tackle this.

1958 Euro Bug
1962 Pearl White Bug
1970 Fastback Clementine
1966 Fastback VW Blue
1967 Bug
1963 VW Variant
1969 VW Variant
kjbtsi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone out there have a good donor clip for my 66, I'm located in eastern north carolina.

1958 Euro Bug
1962 Pearl White Bug
1970 Fastback Clementine
1966 Fastback VW Blue
1967 Bug
1963 VW Variant
1969 VW Variant
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is at least one VW junkyard that I heard of near Ashville, a friend of mine from work saw it just off the highway on his way to Florida. I don't remember the name, but I'm sure you can find it. You should be able to get a clip from them. I wish I would have at least written down the highway he said he was on, he probably does'nt remember now since it was over a year ago.

Dan
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are pretty crunched. Mine was whacked but not anywhere near as bad. Since you are in the Carolinas you should have better luck finding decent metal. I would break down and get the 61-65 Bently as soon as you can. It coveres all body panel replacement.
Jerry Hundley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
You are pretty crunched. Mine was whacked but not anywhere near as bad. Since you are in the Carolinas you should have better luck finding decent metal. I would break down and get the 61-65 Bently as soon as you can. It coveres all body panel replacement.

Does it have to be the 61-65 Bently? What about this one?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=454494

Because Stock Sucks!!!!
70 baywindow deluxe
65 slammed bug
69 bug
64 drag buggy
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The later one is very good, but does not have all the body nitty gritty in it. That's one of the reasons its MUCH thicker and more expensive. If you are doing serious body work, I think the 61-65 is worth the investement. I am farming out a fair chunk of this work, but I am loaning the guy that is doing the work for me the manual. It will save both of us hours of work and me a ton of cash.....
kermatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I have a question pertaining to this...

I'm a welder and fabricator by trade, although tbh, I don't have a ton of body exp...im building a 70 gtv rat, with some fancy stuff, a reverse opening hood, some grafted louvers, plus...

So here's my question; My front driver quarter is pretty bad off. Someone tried to straiten it at some point and made a mess. I don't want to deal with it because I would like to get the car bare metal/clear eventually. So I want to replace it. I would like to cheat and cut the quarter out right in front of the door seam, down to the heater channel area(there's some rust there too), separate it only from the cab and upper seam, and chop the fender line.

I have a strait donor quarter. In my case, since its a rat and im bobbing so much metal away, i figure with some accurate cuts and using the hood as guide, i should be able to get it damn close?

If someone follows what im saying, i would love some input. Keep in mind, im running no fenders and cutting everything from the fender line down and fwd of the master cyl area off except the hood-which on making reverse open...

Pix soon=D
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kermatt wrote:
Ok, so I have a question pertaining to this...

I'm a welder and fabricator by trade, although tbh, I don't have a ton of body exp...im building a 70 gtv rat, with some fancy stuff, a reverse opening hood, some grafted louvers, plus...

So here's my question; My front driver quarter is pretty bad off. Someone tried to straiten it at some point and made a mess. I don't want to deal with it because I would like to get the car bare metal/clear eventually. So I want to replace it. I would like to cheat and cut the quarter out right in front of the door seam, down to the heater channel area(there's some rust there too), separate it only from the cab and upper seam, and chop the fender line.

I have a strait donor quarter. In my case, since its a rat and im bobbing so much metal away, i figure with some accurate cuts and using the hood as guide, i should be able to get it damn close?

If someone follows what im saying, i would love some input. Keep in mind, im running no fenders and cutting everything from the fender line down and fwd of the master cyl area off except the hood-which on making reverse open...

Pix soon=D

Sounds like the only real fitment issue would be the line between the hood and the quarter. If you fit it with the hood on for reference I think you'd have a hard time screwing it up. You might consider opening the fold on the door edge drip rail to fit the panel. Less welding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: