Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clean Oil Bath Filter
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GatorJZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

Also...as for the exerpt from tehe article about oil barth air-cleaners being superior to pleated....that is incorrect. Or...only partically correct.

All oil bath air cleaners...are always more restrictive than pleated filters for airflow because of the directional changes. The turbulence created by air directional changes is precisely why they actually DO filter better than the "average" pleated filter. The only reason they do not overly restrict our engines is because our oil bath filters are quite a bit oversized for each engine application that they go onto. This is partly why there are so many sizes and designs of oil bath filters for VW's. Ray

This is only partially correct. Oil bath cleaners filter large particles as well as a modern paper filter, but oil bath cleaners are inferior to paper filters in small particle efficiency. There are several threads on this topic at Bob Is the Oil Guy, some with links to actual SAE J726C testing method results (rather than someone's recollection of an article they read) as well as used oil analysis results, all coming to this conclusion. Oil bath cleaners are superior in the amount of dirt they can hold, but that is their only area of superiority.
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering ,does I have to be 30weight oil ,or can any engine oil be used? Thanks
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any engine oil is fine. Clean oil is best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Any engine oil is fine. Clean oil is best.
thanks.... yup new oil it is!
50 Kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just throw this in, there is a guy in Ca. offering rebuild services for '67 oil bath cleaners. www.1967beetle.com
1968 Beetle (11/67)
1982 Westy
1986 Cabriolet (6/86)
WTB Air-Camping roof top mount http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1499947
dualref
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlex wrote:
TSP stands for tri sodium phosphaste. It's the active ingredient in laundry detergent. Can be purchased at most hardware stores. (I'd just save the money and use the dry type laundry detergent instead).

No it isn't. TSP is sold in hardware stores to be used to take the gloss off of walls before painting. If you washed your clothing in it, your clothes would fade a lot. So since TSP is a cleaner-degreaser this may be what you want to use.

STPP is the stuff used in laundry detergent. It is used to soften the water so your detergent can work better. You can buy it from chemical stores. 2 teaspoons per load of laundry or 1 tsp per load of dishes in the dishwasher.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
AirCooledArtifacts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 Kafer wrote:
I'll just throw this in, there is a guy in Ca. offering rebuild services for '67 oil bath cleaners. www.1967beetle.com

Yep, that's me. Please let me know if I can be of any help.
aircooledartifacts.com

Follow our restoration work on Instagram.
Our vintage VW story — featured by Volkswagen of America, Inc, VW Trends & HotVWs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tikitime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aussiebug wrote:

The twin inlet oval cleaner shown in the pics above is the 68 version. In most countries it had a wire-pull device working the warm air flap system. The wire looped down to the right side flap mechanism inside the shroud (a small crank poked through the tinware), so the air cleaner got air from the right cylinder bank until it warmed up and the flaps opened, which then pulled the wire and switched to cold air intake. Other methods of operating the flap may have been used in other countries.

With the two-inlet 68 air cleaner, the left inlet is normally shut and only opens via a weighted flap when the airflow is high. It is always a cold air inlet.

The pull-wire system was also used on the 69, 70 and 71 cars with the oval oil bath air cleaner (one larger inlet on the right side).

Does anyone have photos of how the wire-pull device should be connected at both ends?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8269014&highlight=#8269014

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=382905&highlight=

Streng Deutsch Die Völker Klub
munana1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Oil bath filter Reply with quote

If you don't feel comfortable cleaning your filter, there is a website that offers to go through it completely or you buy one from them almost brand new for around $225.00 , the website is: 1967beetle.storevny.com
AirCooledArtifacts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Oil bath filter Reply with quote

munana1 wrote:
If you don't feel comfortable cleaning your filter, there is a website that offers to go through it completely or you buy one from them almost brand new for around $225.00 , the website is: 1967beetle.storevny.com

Thanks for the plug. Yes, I'm the one that offers this service. I can restore any unit, but I have a special interest in the '67 Beetle. I have restored units in stock that are ready to ship. Please let me know if I can be of any service. Info below.
aircooledartifacts.com

Our vintage VW story — featured by Volkswagen of America, Inc, VW Trends & HotVWs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
minimember
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: oil bath filter question!!! Reply with quote

I have a quick question on a VW that I recently purchased. It has an oil bath filter that has two valves... the weighted one and the cable. From what I read the cable is suppose to control the valve that lets in heat from around the exhaust, and the weighted controls the fresh air flow, yes??? Ok, so I don't have a cable hooked up to that valve and their is no hose attached to that inlet for it. I also noticed that the weighted valve was installed incorrect, so that it was closed at all times...yikes!!!

I'm not going worry about installing the cable right now because I live in a pretty much continuous warm climate, and I was able to get the weighted valve out and installed properly (so that the flow of air opens the valve and not keeping it closed)

My main question is this: Should I make the cable valve stay open or closed for my needs right now?...As it rests right now, with no cable attached the valve wants to stay open and allow air in from the end of the housing...i'm not sure what function that serves, and if it would be better left closed. I also assume that I should block the warm air inlet for the exhaust hose as well...help help help
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make it stay open.

From Rob and Dave:

http://www.vw-resource.com/air_cleaner.html#pull

Quote:
If the pull wire is missing, and the cooling flaps inside the shroud will probably be missing too (should get them replaced as soon as you can - they are quite important for fast and EVEN warmups), then the flap in the air inlet should be fixed open. It will mean the engine is a little rough when cold, but the engine only needs warm air for the initial warmup period, then it should be running on cold air with the heat riser under the manifold providing the necessary heat to stop icing etc.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
AirCooledArtifacts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Make it stay open.

From Rob and Dave:

http://www.vw-resource.com/air_cleaner.html#pull

Quote:
If the pull wire is missing, and the cooling flaps inside the shroud will probably be missing too (should get them replaced as soon as you can - they are quite important for fast and EVEN warmups), then the flap in the air inlet should be fixed open. It will mean the engine is a little rough when cold, but the engine only needs warm air for the initial warmup period, then it should be running on cold air with the heat riser under the manifold providing the necessary heat to stop icing etc.

Yes.. What he said.....
aircooledartifacts.com

ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I was able to get the weighted valve out and installed properly"

How the hell did you do this? I have asked others with no response. I have spent many wasted hours attemping to pull the flaps out, trying to be careful not to break the plastic inserts that hold them in...I just don't get it. Do I have to pry apart the entire lower half of the oil bath to work on these flaps???

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
AirCooledArtifacts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
"I was able to get the weighted valve out and installed properly"

How the hell did you do this? I have asked others with no response. I have spent many wasted hours attemping to pull the flaps out, trying to be careful not to break the plastic inserts that hold them in...I just don't get it. Do I have to pry apart the entire lower half of the oil bath to work on these flaps???

You just have to take it slow. I've restored a ton of these now, and I know first hand how hard it can be. Just take your time. Wiggle a bit and they pop right out.
aircooledartifacts.com

1970VWGUY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem is...since I just bought the car and everything was already done...I have no idea if the fan housing flaps are even there...since it's southern car...the guy that did the motor may have eliminated them.

Do you think it's a possibility that anyone rebuilding an engine would remove the flaps..aren't they somewhat critical to the overall operation?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look under the engine on the passenger side. You'll be looking in the area just under where the heads and cylinders join. You can see the four pushrod tubes there also. There is, hopefully, a piece of engine tin that's blocking most of your sight line--but you can see up in there from the back, okay.

Between the pushrod tubes there will be a rod that's attached to a small, round accordian-type gizmo. It's about the size of an egg--but barrel-shaped. That's your engine thermostat. If you don't have this arrangement, you probably don't have the shroud flaps that the thermostat regulates.

Tim
aprophet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erokCom wrote:
50 Kafer wrote:

Yep, that's me. Please let me know if I can be of any help.

do the oil bath filters fit super beetle 1600 dp engines ??
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aprophet wrote:

do the oil bath filters fit super beetle 1600 dp engines ??

Yep. Make sure you use one correct for your year, no earlier than a '71. Also depends on the type of pre-heat connection your car uses. Lots of info - w/pictures - on that in the forums if you do a search.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
air-h2o-air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many decades ago...a beer distributor bought several(at least 10, I cant remember) Type II trucks for their deliveries. Upon a very short period of time..EVERY truck had the engine wiped out...cyl walls scored, pistons ate up severely. What was the cause? GRIT in the engines....the area these trucks were operated was Arkansas..that area has a very very fine silt that blows through the air. Back then many roads were not paved which also created more of this fine silt in the air. Where did this grit come from??? Right through the air filter. As stated about oil bath air filters for many many decades..they filter large rocks and that is about it. You may ask as to why I tell such a story? I worked at 424-000...many will know what those 6 numbers mean. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: