Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW38 found in Lithuania
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 226, 227, 228  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kdf38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the person who used to have it do the mods? Could there still be pieces left after this long? Rear window section or other pieces?

Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<Gasp!!>

What an awesome discovery!!

No semaphores? Filled in apertures, or it never had any?

H.
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zwitterkafer wrote:
<Gasp!!>

What an awesome discovery!!

No semaphores? Filled in apertures, or it never had any?

H.

It probably had "boxed" semaphors. Confused
desh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="KdF1"]
desh wrote:
In a weird way, the people who altered them over and over again kept it around and out of the scapyard.

Yes I see what you mean, when the engine broke down where would they get another from?

So I guess someone has cared for the car, in a twisted sort of way, to keep it going, rather than junk it.
ProjectX
Accessory Nut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great find, even though it's butchered it is a part of history.

Thanks for sharing Undis.... crazy find....

That car needs a very special person to be very patient with her Very Happy Very Happy

I would love to have it, but then again, I don't want it. It would drive a person like me nuts.....

195? Project "X"
1954 Oval Convertible
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a details that a vw38 should have. Note the round stamping with reinforcement ribs and glove box doors.I suspect most or all of these details are gone from the car just found. this is the '38 that the vw museum has. This is a modern picture hence all of the incorrect parts.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is where the inside lock handle should be.

In the center right under the glass.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
kafer53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely contact the VW museum regarding this. They may be able to assist you with this vehicle. This looks to be something really special that you have found. What does the dash and inside of the car look like?

Paul
desh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kafer53 wrote:
I would definitely contact the VW museum regarding this.

Paul

Good point, if it is earlier than their #3 car they would be interested for sure. And they should be able to identify what's what.

Audi which is owned by VW has paid recently a quite lot of money to bring home some of their silver arrow race cars.
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, thanks for all the interest guys!

Yes, I have been privately contacted by some people already with great info and sugestions. Thanks.

Just a small disclaimer: I'm in no way associated with this car, and I'm not acting as an agent for the owner and have no financial or other interests in this matter. The two reasons for posting this information here is, first of all, share something that I think is an amazing find and people in the hobby have a right to know about it. The second reason is to receive expert opinion and practical input in order to confirm that the car actually is what we think it is. It is now up to the owner to decide how to proceed.

ok, back to scheduled programming... Laughing

As far as getting this car restored, keep in mind this car was practically hand built therefore missing parts can be duplicated by skilled craftsmen. As I have found out, it seems there are bits and pieces of other vw38/39's that have survived and could be useful. So getting this car back on the road is possible.
tstracy39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that (what's left of) the original parts can be salvaged is nothing short of a miracle. Often when something's been driven that long it just falls apart on the lift forks when you try to pick it up. Too bad the odometer (if it had one?) would probably be long gone, or rolled over if it's there. This car would have quite a story to tell.
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SplitPersonality wrote:

This last statement of yours - could you tell us more about that? Sounds interesting.

Those who are in the game, have the parts. There are some serious players in the hobby. Wink

tstracy39 wrote:
The fact that (what's left of) the original parts can be salvaged is nothing short of a miracle.

Looking at what is happening in the Barndoor bus workshops, I don't think it is impossible to raise this one from the dead!
tstracy39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the pics a second time, the "paint" underneath the chipping layer of gloss red inside the decklid looks to me like a thin layer of zinc primer used in aircraft manufacture. Wouldn't be the only beetle part vw didn't bother to topcoat inside and out. The unearthed paint on the outer side of the bodyshell and decklid must be black over grey primer Shocked .
tazm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kafer53 wrote:
I would definitely contact the VW museum regarding this. They may be able to assist you with this vehicle. This looks to be something really special that you have found. What does the dash and inside of the car look like?

Paul

Undis I would not do that , There are other people in Germany, who have more Knowledge about these cars and they own a correct floorpan for this car aswell ! I would like to check your mailbox now Undis Rolling Eyes
I think you are receiving a few mails abouth that car !! Laughing Laughing
Great find , the bad thing is that your Oval is not anymore the oldest VW in your Country ! Crying or Very sad

Guido Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RichOakley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SplitPersonality wrote:
Undis wrote:

As I have found out, it seems there are bits and pieces of other vw38/39's that have survived and could be useful.

Thanks for sharing UNDIS - amazing!

This last statement of yours - could you tell us more about that? Sounds interesting.

About 8 years ago, there was a bunch of NOS panels found in a workshop in (I think) East Germany. The panels allegedly dated from 1939/1940. Pictures were posted on Klaus Jacobsen's site and if memory serves me correctly, Herr Grundmann purchased them. Can anybody else recall this or did I dream it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SplitPersonality
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichOakley wrote:
SplitPersonality wrote:
Undis wrote:

As I have found out, it seems there are bits and pieces of other vw38/39's that have survived and could be useful.

Thanks for sharing UNDIS - amazing!

About 8 years ago, there was a bunch of NOS panels found in a workshop in (I think) East Germany. The panels allegedly dated from 1939/1940. Pictures were posted on Klaus Jacobsen's site and if memory serves me correctly, Herr Grundmann purchased them. Can anybody else recall this or did I dream it?

I think you are very right about all this. But again - Grundmann's chassis is from the VW30-series and the mentioned body panels are "regular" post-1940 KDF to my knowledge. One of the reasons why I was surprised to read that somebody actually had parts for the VW38/39-series. But I guess most 1940-45 parts would fit anyway.
tstracy39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tazm wrote:
kafer53 wrote:

Paul

Undis I would not do that , There are other people in Germany, who have more Knowledge about these cars and they own a correct floorpan for this car aswell ! I would like to check your mailbox now Undis Rolling Eyes
I think you are receiving a few mails abouth that car !! Laughing Laughing
Great find , the bad thing is that your Oval is not anymore the oldest VW in your Country ! Crying or Very sad

Guido Wink

Indeed it might be a good idea to keep it hush-hush, you never know when they're going to try to repatriate something as the former spoils of war. Especially something as rare and valuable as this could very likely be Shhh
tazm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you're where dreaming Rich ! Wink
But 1 thing I Know for sure ! The VW factory, would not be interested in that car !!
1 because they have already a car in the museum ! And they would not spend money on a second car !
2 because they are not able to restore the car ,They do not have any information about these cars , for the simple reason they are not Builded In the VW factory ! There was not a VW factory in that Time Laughing Laughing
These cars are builded somewhere else ,And they have nothing to do with The VW Factory !

I know the person who owns the drawings and detailed discriptions from these cars from 1936 till 1939,I could show you some pictures from the drawings (But I have to ask first If I'm alloud to do that ) He would be the only person who could restore this car like it should be !

Regards,

Guido
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are other people in Germany, who have more Knowledge about these cars and they own a correct floorpan for this car aswell ! I would like to check your mailbox now Undis

Yes, I have contact. I know what and who you mean Wink

Quote:

No, you are not dreaming (ohh, I'm running out of winks Wink )

Quote:
Indeed it might be a good idea to keep it hush-hush, you never know when they're going to try to repatriate something as the former spoils of war. Especially something as rare and valuable as this could very likely be

Nothing is hush-hush on the inernert thingy.
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tazm wrote:

But 1 thing I Know for sure ! The VW factory, would not be interested in that car !!
1 because they have already a car in the museum ! And they would not spend money on a second car !
2 because they are not able to restore the car ,They do not have any information about these cars , for the simple reason they are not Builded In the VW factory ! There was not a VW factory in that Time Laughing Laughing
These cars are builded somewhere else ,And they have nothing to do with The VW Factory.

Guido

Wow, you must be very close with the VW factory to tell what they want and what not for sure. Their convertible they will surely sell soon while it was not build there anyway. Confused
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tazm wrote:

Guido

It still is! The vw38 is in Lithuania. Wink and it is not roadworthy. My car is totally driveable, registered and insured.

The oldest VW in Latvia is a Schwimmwagen. Not driveable either.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 226, 227, 228  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 228

Jump to: