Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW38 found in Lithuania
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done show. I noticed a few inaccuracies, such as this is the oldest Beetle but I found it very entertaining to watch.

As I watched that car driving down the road, I was struck with the fact that this is what they started with...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Truly amazing how that car looks now. It could of easily ended up being shredded for scrap metal.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. Hope it lasts a while before the beeb gets it shut down.

In general I loved seeing the car driving and Capt. Slow seemed to handle it respectfully. I was surprised that he took the car into what looked like normal traffic!

I was not as happy at them taking every opportunity to show goose-stepping soldiers rather than doing a more complete history. They really did a good job of perpetuating the myth of the VW being Hitler's design.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvulich wrote:
It is the oldest surviving body, the other car in the museum has a later body.

I don't believe that is accurate. It has some later sheet metal such as the doors, rear apron and a few other parts on it but it is the original body and floor pan. What do you base your claim on?

The Grundmans used number 3 and the hitler vert as reference for recreating many of the missing pieces of this car.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
dinsdale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
Nicely done show. I noticed a few inaccuracies, such as this is the oldest Beetle but I found it very entertaining to watch.

As I watched that car driving down the road, I was struck with the fact that this is what they started with...

Truly amazing how that car looks now. It could of easily ended up being shredded for scrap metal.

They said it was the oldest running beetle. How often does the one in the museum get out?

Pete
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MDKG wrote:
Saw this stunning car again at the Pre67 VW event at the Louwman museum last Sunday. Here's a little video I made:

Link

Hope it is ok to post it here.

That's a Very cool video.

Seeing this car pull in past all the other beetles, it's almost as if they are bowing to the pack leader. Respect for the distiguished elder statesman that started it all. Cool

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Seeing this car pull in past all the other beetles, it's almost as if they are bowing to the pack leader. Respect for the distiguished elder statesman that started it all.

Please keep those perverted political views to yourself.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allsidius, I thought the same exact thing at first... But I re-read the post.

He's not referring to the militant German political leader, but rather the car itself...
As if all of the other beetles were bowing to their pack leader, the VW38. The car is their distinguished elder that started it all.

Just ordered my book! Super excited! Thanks guys for all the hard work!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Björn Schewe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsidius wrote:
Quote:
Seeing this car pull in past all the other beetles, it's almost as if they are bowing to the pack leader. Respect for the distiguished elder statesman that started it all.

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
He's not referring to the militant German political leader, but rather the car itself...
As if all of the other beetles were bowing to their pack leader, the VW38. The car is their distinguished elder that started it all.

Right. It's the Alpha VW!

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Björn Schewe wrote:
allsidius wrote:
Quote:

Um, yeah... Relax b'ys... I'm talking about the car. Never even thought this could be misconstrued to be a comment about hitler... Jeeze. Sensitive much?? lol.

Look at the video. Clearly this is the granddaddy of them all, and that’s pretty cool to see.

allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exact wording in the post was:

Quote:
Respect for the distiguished elder statesman that started it all.

Apart from the "distinguished", there is only one elder statesman that can be associated with the beetle. Ferdinand Porsche was not a statesman, and the other elder of any notice was AH. If this was an allegory or something, it came out pretty bad. I stand by my point, if anyone feels I am overreacting, please explain how this was supposed to read?

usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsidius wrote:
... please explain how this was supposed to read?

He meant the ´38 would be the elder statesman in the society of beetles.
No gloryfication of dead criminals.
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsidius wrote:
The exact wording in the post was:

Quote:
Respect for the distiguished elder statesman that started it all.

Apart from the "distinguished", there is only one elder statesman that can be associated with the beetle. Ferdinand Porsche was not a statesman, and the other elder of any notice was AH. If this was an allegory or something, it came out pretty bad. I stand by my point, if anyone feels I am overreacting, please explain how this was supposed to read?

No, the exact wording in the post was:

Quote:
That's a Very cool video. Seeing this car pull in past all the other beetles, it's almost as if they are bowing to the pack leader. Respect for the distiguished elder statesman that started it all. Cool

Read what I wrote in context- the beetles are bowing to the CAR. I was personifying the VW38 as a notable figure in the history of VW. As I just stated, it didn’t even occur to me that this could be interpreted any other way. I want to be clear that any other interpretation was NOT my intention.

I’m sorry you took it the wrong way, but I know what I meant. If I had even remotely considered that this would have been taken that way I would have worded it differently. Really this is a non- issue. Watch the first part of the video again; I was just expressing that the way the 38 moves past the other cars is very elegant and stately, and as they are all facing the 38 as it passes by, it is almost as if they are bowing in respect to the elder beetle, the one that started it all.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usariemen wrote:
allsidius wrote:

This was obvious to me and how I read it too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved all the VW38/03 discussion to
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604885
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cory464 wrote:
Blue Baron wrote:
James May has spewed absolute vitriol about the Volkswagen and its history in the past. I wouldn't let him within a kilometer of No. 6.

its a tv show, for entertainment. honestly though I believe james would show the most respect for the cars history. and while he does often belittle the vw, he is a fan of engineering and history so I am sure will say many good things about the car

Yes, thanks to James May I now know the Volkswagen was "Hitler's flatulent people's car," and is responsible for nudism. I've never made that connection before! It even resembles a buttock, he says, and its "face" reminds him of the sickening counterculture. (I think May despises hippies because he's constantly being mistaken for one.)

But the biggest annoyance was May's regurgitation of the worn-out claim that the Volkswagen project was nothing but a gigantic swindle perpetuated against the German people. While it's true that none of the savers ever got a car, May overlooks the fact that the Porsche team spent years perfecting the best small car in the world and traveled across the ocean to Detroit to learn how to build the world's most modern car factory. Evidence shows the Third Reich did intend to fulfill its promises and build VWs by the millions, but a criminal and ill-conceived war got in the way and fortunately the regime never had the chance.

To his credit, May does come down just as hard on communism, illustrating the type of product one could expect from a totalitarian regime.

In the end though, I do agree with Cory464. Despite my complaints, the show was very entertaining, and I do appreciate all the research, clever writing, archival footage and ride along in Old No. 6.

Heinz Nordhoff
IIIA-0426
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
cory464 wrote:
Blue Baron wrote:
James May has spewed absolute vitriol about the Volkswagen and its history in the past. I wouldn't let him within a kilometer of No. 6.

its a tv show, for entertainment. honestly though I believe james would show the most respect for the cars history. and while he does often belittle the vw, he is a fan of engineering and history so I am sure will say many good things about the car

Yes, thanks to James May I now know the Volkswagen was "Hitler's flatulent people's car," and is responsible for nudism. I've never made that connection before! It even resembles a buttock, he says, and its "face" reminds him of the sickening counterculture. (I think May despises hippies because he's constantly being mistaken for one.)

But the biggest annoyance was May's regurgitation of the worn-out claim that the Volkswagen project was nothing but a gigantic swindle perpetuated against the German people. While it's true that none of the savers ever got a car, May overlooks the fact that the Porsche team spent years perfecting the best small car in the world and traveled across the ocean to Detroit to learn how to build the world's most modern car factory. Evidence shows the Third Reich did intend to fulfill its promises and build VWs by the millions, but a criminal and ill-conceived war got in the way and fortunately the regime never had the chance.

To his credit, May does come down just as hard on communism, illustrating the type of product one could expect from a totalitarian regime.

In the end though, I do agree with Cory464. Despite my complaints, the show was very entertaining, and I do appreciate all the research, clever writing, archival footage and ride along in Old No. 6.

Agreed, I also found his remarks a bit shallow, even though they were obviously tongue-in-cheek. From the very beginning this car was designed for mass production. The government was even discussing the export market before any prototypes were built.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TopGear episode was well done, IMO. Bjoern- it seems Mr. May shifted the crashbox transmission with skill, would you agree? Looks like he's doing a good 50mph (80km/h) on the Autobahn segment... Go #6! Amusing how he spoke a few phrases in German with his British accent.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching the segment a few times, it appears the segments filmed in Britain where he uses the most unflattering rhetoric were done first. In the segments filmed in Germany, and especially aboard No. 6, he lets his enthusiasm show through. He's trying not to like the car, but No. 6 is irresistible.

Heinz Nordhoff
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
usariemen wrote:
allsidius wrote:

This was obvious to me and how I read it too.

X2. I honestly can't see how you COULD read it any other way.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 223, 224, 225, 226, 227, 228  Next
Jump to:
Page 224 of 228

Jump to: