Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW38 found in Lithuania
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 224, 225, 226, 227, 228  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was intent on letting this rest but

You mean that you can't honestly understand that I read elder statesman as a human?

I am sorry you all took this so bad, in my country a man is a man and a car is a car. And if I was to describe any old beetle by its human counterpart, elder statesman would not be the first word that springs to my mind.

We all dig this car, let's agree to that.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsidius wrote:

You mean that you can't honestly understand that I read elder statesman as a human?

I am sorry you all took this so bad, in my country a man is a man and a car is a car. And if I was to describe any old beetle by its human counterpart, elder statesman would not be the first word that springs to my mind.

We all dig this car, let's agree to that.

I'm not here to give anyone a lesson in English...heaven knows it's a difficult enough language as it is but just clarification of how James May was using a common "turn of phrase" relating human attributes to an object. It's known as "personification".

Your English is excellent but as we have seen some of the stranger uses of English don't translate well into other languages. This is a page about "Personification" that might help: http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-personification.html
Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jack O'Neill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I'm not native speaker, but I work in an anglophone company. I do see that expression a lot, and used only with the best and most deserving people. It's an expression of affection and utmost respect.
Not that I wish to dwell in this subject any longer (I would rather discuss any news in the Elder Ancestor W30 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy ), but I think that the following links can shed some light in this issue:

Quote:
: an eminent senior member of a group or organization; especially : a retired statesman who unofficially advises current leaders

(from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/elder%20statesman)

Pretty harmless, isn't it? Also, if elder was enough to disqualify AH (he died with 56, not an elder), this particular expression denotes a still active and respected retiree - good description for n°6, running around all regal like that, and completely opposite to the disgraced, dead, inactive and deposed AH.

Also, it's the title of a play: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elder_Statesman

Here is it used to talk about Nixon (perhaps not quite the stand up guy, but hardly a genocidal maniac): http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/presidents/richardnixon

And here is it used to talk about Mandela, a beloved and respected figure to balance things out Smile:

Quote:
Nelson Mandela was often described as the "world's elder statesman", a father figure tackling global problems.

(from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22389954)

If N° 6 isn't a father figure to all the subsequent beetles, he is, at least, a beloved uncle (or aunt, for those native speakers who sees cars as girls - in my native portuguese, they are guys!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a small diversion...

This thread has just passed the 3 million views mark!
koenigsberg4ever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"06" should be declared "world heritage" like "The Wizard of OZ" and such.

You would surely have my signature for the UNESCO !
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undis, congratulations on the 3 million hits, now it is time to secure this thread on paper! What a book it would be, just clean up the double and triple posts, smooth over the worst insuations and the most ridiculous suggestions (slam it), and print it! I for one am dying to have the whole story of this resurrection on paper, with all the pictures that go so much deeper than the official Brezelkäfer book! Epic!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would make a really nice companion volume to the first book. I'd buy that.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
sotos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello I'm new here ,although I'm visiting Samba.com a long time ago.
I'm reading this thread over and over again. I think it really worth to make an in depth book.
Already have "Der erste Brezelkafer" ,a wonderful book but really need all the details ,after all this is a unique prototype of a very important car.
Three million hits should say something about the popularity of the subject.
It is so sad that so many important photos of the restoration process have been lost which makes the need of such a book even more mandatory.
I wonder if there is such a possibility.
New beetle 1.6 2003
rcraigbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read it over and over like you claimed, you would know that there is a book on this Car. Maybe you should read it again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timon1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Sotos, you should read his post carefully... "Already have Der erste Brezelkäfer". I think knows about the book...
sotos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,as I said,I have the book as I have Chris Barbers Birth of the beetle,Volksworld magazine series of articles about the beetle evolution again from Chris Barber, Karl Ludvigsens Battle for the beetle,recently bought Bernd Wiersch book"Als der kafer laufen lernte" an excellent photo book and the list goes on.
My point is that I think it would be interesting to exist a book about vw38/06 that is more restorer oriented,some of you might remember a series of articles in Excellence magazine about the restoration of a 1951 Porsche 356 Glaser cabriolet by Brett Jhonson thats the kind of writing I imagine for that book.
I hope there is a positive answer from the people involved.
New beetle 1.6 2003

Last edited by sotos on Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
rcraigbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Apologies sotos, maybe I should of read your post over and over Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sotos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem rcraigbug and of course no need to read my post over and over Smile
New beetle 1.6 2003
Kjetil L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that there is a lot more interessting information and pictures in this thread that there was in the book.

A lot of details were lost in the book, importaint details.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kjetil L wrote:
I agree that there is a lot more interessting information and pictures in this thread that there was in the book.

A lot of details were lost in the book, importaint details.

More information...more pages...more costs...more risks. Confused

Publishing information to print is very expensive and you can never guarantee covering your costs. So who want's to put up the money. Wink
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big obstacle here would be to get the permission to print each photo that has been upoaded to this thread. (the ones that are worth pritning, that is). I guess the most important pictures would be the original Lithuanian shots, and the garage shots by Christian and co. I am not sure about the rights to printing text from the posts here, if anyone could claim ownership and then ask for a piece of the cake. If you had to PM every contributor for permission to print the text, I guess that would take some time.

The job of editing the thread would be a lot of fun to the right persons. Even if it is 200+ pages, I guess at least half or more could easily be deleted due to redundancy, petty quarrels or plain bull shit. Printing and distribution could be done as with the other books, not as expensive as you would think.

Jack O'Neill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsidius wrote:
I am not sure about the rights to printing text from the posts here, if anyone could claim ownership and then ask for a piece of the cake. If you had to PM every contributor for permission to print the text, I guess that would take some time.

Well, I guess that the text at least wouldn't be a problem; this case is covered in the terms of use:

TheSamba wrote:
All contributions to TheSamba.com, and all material therein are copyright by TheSamba.com (while remaining the property of the author) as unpublished work under sections 104 and 408 of Title 17 of the United States Code with all rights reserved. Contributors expressly allow TheSamba.com to publish their work in other media without consent or compensation. Content of TheSamba.com may NOT be reposted or published without written consent of TheSamba.com (except by the original author). Material already in the public domain is not covered by this notice.
sotos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what is the success of the current book , in the german and english edition respectively.
This would give the publisher an indication if the publication of another book on the same subject is justified.
I'm already thinking to make a scrap book for my own use and hope that there will be an answer if there are any thoughts about the publication of a detailed documentation of the VW38/6 restoration.
New beetle 1.6 2003
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack O'Neill wrote:
allsidius wrote:
I am not sure about the rights to printing text from the posts here, if anyone could claim ownership and then ask for a piece of the cake. If you had to PM every contributor for permission to print the text, I guess that would take some time.

Well, I guess that the text at least wouldn't be a problem; this case is covered in the terms of use:

TheSamba wrote:
All contributions to TheSamba.com, and all material therein are copyright by TheSamba.com (while remaining the property of the author) as unpublished work under sections 104 and 408 of Title 17 of the United States Code with all rights reserved. Contributors expressly allow TheSamba.com to publish their work in other media without consent or compensation. Content of TheSamba.com may NOT be reposted or published without written consent of TheSamba.com (except by the original author). Material already in the public domain is not covered by this notice.

That is interesting, it seems that the editing of the material is the easy part here. But, as long as the guys running TheSamba would be OK with it, and you could get the photos, mostly from Undis and Kdfkid, it would be possible to make such a book. As it stands now, the thread is slowly detoriating as more and more photos are getting unavailable if they are stored at some other photo sharing site. I think this would make a fantastic project and a once in a lifetime opportunity to document this amazing resurrection!

Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsidius wrote:
...As it stands now, the thread is slowly detoriating as more and more photos are getting unavailable if they are stored at some other photo sharing site. I think this would make a fantastic project and a once in a lifetime opportunity to document this amazing resurrection!

Perfect example why people who take part in and appreciate threads such as this should join our crusade to stop this happening...see my signature. You can join us by copying and pasting the following code into your Samba signature:
Code:
[url=http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807][b]Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery![/b][/url]

More here too...it's important.: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=610245
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 224, 225, 226, 227, 228  Next
Jump to:
Page 225 of 228

Jump to: