Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW38 found in Lithuania
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 225, 226, 227, 228  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsidius wrote:
Jack O'Neill wrote:
allsidius wrote:
I am not sure about the rights to printing text from the posts here, if anyone could claim ownership and then ask for a piece of the cake. If you had to PM every contributor for permission to print the text, I guess that would take some time.

Well, I guess that the text at least wouldn't be a problem; this case is covered in the terms of use:

TheSamba wrote:
All contributions to TheSamba.com, and all material therein are copyright by TheSamba.com (while remaining the property of the author) as unpublished work under sections 104 and 408 of Title 17 of the United States Code with all rights reserved. Contributors expressly allow TheSamba.com to publish their work in other media without consent or compensation. Content of TheSamba.com may NOT be reposted or published without written consent of TheSamba.com (except by the original author). Material already in the public domain is not covered by this notice.

That is interesting, it seems that the editing of the material is the easy part here. But, as long as the guys running TheSamba would be OK with it, and you could get the photos, mostly from Undis and Kdfkid, it would be possible to make such a book. As it stands now, the thread is slowly detoriating as more and more photos are getting unavailable if they are stored at some other photo sharing site. I think this would make a fantastic project and a once in a lifetime opportunity to document this amazing resurrection!

I don't have any issue with it. I believe you would need permission from the individuals that took photos to use the photos, although these laws may vary by country.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no issues sharing the photos made by me, be it published in a book or whatever. Just like most people on this site I'm here to share information and the only motivation for me is love for old VWs.

I would love to see this thread published in some kind of book form and if someone has an idea how to do this, they are welcome to use my text and photos. I'm also presuming that most people here would feel the same about their photos as well.

I do know, however that some photos taken of #6 were done by professional photographers and the reproduction of which may need to be followed up with the authors.

When the book came out I was hoping for a more "nerdy" narrative. I do appreciate that the publishers had to make a decision on how much detail will be included and considering it is their money that was being gambled here, it was totally their call. I love the book but what stands out for me is the fantastic photography by Axel Struwe with the text taking a second place.

Responding to what Allsidius and John Moxon was saying, I agree with both gentlemen. Knowing that many photos will disappear over time I was compulsively saving all new photos that were posted in this thread and I did re-post many of them ,after saving them in the Samba gallery, back into the thread. You can see them on pages 202 and 203.
sotos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another aspect about the necessity of such a book.
Is not only the photos that have been lost and the need to narrow this thread down to the actual story of the project VW38/6.
Behind all this there where people,how Traugott and Christian Grundmann organized and planed the restoration ,there must be many small interesting stories behind each part searched or re manufactured.
Marschels who painted the car surely have some story to tell.
Marcus Raeke for the interior studying the details in those old photos ,another story to tell.
Certainly there are many others but personally I REALLY would love to read a marathon interview from the "Karosseriemeister" Matthias Wiechens.
So I guess if this wonderful team is willing to share their story a way will be found.
New beetle 1.6 2003
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, one of the great parts of this thread was how so many original parts came out of the woodwork and were contributed to this restoration as the story unfolded.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undis wrote:
I have no issues sharing the photos made by me, be it published in a book or whatever. Just like most people on this site I'm here to share information and the only motivation for me is love for old VWs.

I would love to see this thread published in some kind of book form and if someone has an idea how to do this, they are welcome to use my text and photos. I'm also presuming that most people here would feel the same about their photos as well.

I do know, however that some photos taken of #6 were done by professional photographers and the reproduction of which may need to be followed up with the authors.

When the book came out I was hoping for a more "nerdy" narrative. I do appreciate that the publishers had to make a decision on how much detail will be included and considering it is their money that was being gambled here, it was totally their call. I love the book but what stands out for me is the fantastic photography by Axel Struwe with the text taking a second place.

Responding to what Allsidius and John Moxon was saying, I agree with both gentlemen. Knowing that many photos will disappear over time I was compulsively saving all new photos that were posted in this thread and I did re-post many of them ,after saving them in the Samba gallery, back into the thread. You can see them on pages 202 and 203.

Undis, I just checked those pages, thanks a lot for reposting those pictures! It was a blast to see them again. I am sure with a little work, a handsome bunch of interesting pictures could be sourced, in addition to your great photos. Axel Struwes photos are amazing of course, a new book would not be complete without his amazing documentation.

Some questions that still remain unsolved in my head, which could be shown in a book as we are discussing, is for instance:

Where did the front fenders come from? I understand some existing fender without the headlight bulge were found and then had the headlight bucket and molding added. This was shown, but where in the world do you find half fabricated 1938 VW fenders?

How did manufacture the inner reinforcement for the split window? Was it copied off VW 38/03? I guess no such parts exist at Autoteile.de anymore..

And those magnificent satin chrome headlamp surrounds, where the h*** did they come from?

This resurrection was shown in such detail, openly and freely discussing, even arguing, while the Grundmanns all the time knew the way forward and proceedind on a steady course, never being thrown off by well meant but ignorant suggestions from the public. Never did Christian let his temper show, even at the height of the headlight bulge wars... We still have fond memories of those months when everyone got their "daily fix" from checking this post.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the front fenders where kdf one's with the bulge added. if i remember right. the inner pressings where made from original drawings. as was done to 38/ 03 in the 90's. that car was re-bodied in the 50's. with a new oval body . the only thing 38 on it is the dash/under dash/rear window section/ deck lid. but that's a whole other thread. interesting story too.
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe starting a Kickstarter campaign will show actual interest in a second, more in depth book. I would definitely sign up.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
sotos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here!
New beetle 1.6 2003
Stetoppingphoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lucky enough to read this thread when the pictures were intact. Easily the most interesting car build iver ever read, i mirror other peoples comments on learning more about finding the parts / fabricating etc. Id love to read into that side of the build. Cool Amazing car and build!
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A certain '38 Beetle is on its way to the UK! Any wild guesses which one?

Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/02/james-may-picks-13-most-significant-cars-ever/

Quote:
James May picks 13 most significant cars ever for London Classic Car Show

Quote:
James May tends to be the most pragmatic of the Top Gear UK hosting crew. Jeremy Clarkson obviously likes his vehicles loud, brash and preferably British, and Richard Hammond seems to have a thing for American muscle. May appears to find joy just in the mechanical nature of things, whether high performance or simply made for getting around. He's getting a chance to put that appreciation on display by curating a 13-car collection at the London Classic Car Show called The Cars That Changed The World.

May actually wants to provoke debate from visitors about the exhibit and is separating his choices into two categories: The Halls of Obviousness and The Chambers of Bloody-mindedness. The first bunch includes the usual important vehicles you expect to see, but the other group has the really interesting picks. As May explains these selections in the event announcement, "I believe they are just as significant historically but they've simply been forgotten or misunderstood."

The obvious choices are:

1886 Benz Motorwagen
1908 Ford Model T
1938 Volkswagen Beetle
1959 Austin Mini
1964 Ford Mustang
1997 Toyota Prius​
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undis wrote:

The obvious choices are:

1886 Benz Motorwagen
1908 Ford Model T
1938 Volkswagen Beetle
1959 Austin Mini
1964 Ford Mustang
1997 Toyota Prius​

Wow! Can't wait to see the Prius!

(How did he sneak that past JC, he hates the Prius with a vengeance.)

But showing the old 06 will be a blast!

Björn Schewe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:39 am    Post subject: On the way to UK Reply with quote

VW 38/06 loading for London Classic Car Show.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ampegboy1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to the London Classic Car Show today to see #6 (and the rest of the exhibits while I was there!). It looks brilliant up close just when judged on its own merits, but knowing its story made seeing it for real so much better - well done to all involved Smile

One question though, I thought I remembered there being two small dents in the gutters which helped identify the body as #6, but I didn't notice them on the car. Do they show up more in pictures, were they repaired during the restoration, or did I imagine them?!

Special thanks to the Grundmanns for sending her over here, I doubt I would ever have had the opportunity to see her otherwise!

Michael
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is speaking of the two dents below the waterdrain:

I also thought, these dents were a reason, why the wreck was recognized quickly as a VW38?

Are they still visible after restoration?

Last edited by pastellgreen on Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
scvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember seeing that #6 had been involved in a wreck in its past. Was this mentioned and if so what's the story?
SOUTHERN INTEGRITY AIRCOOLERS

WTB - Sigla popout glass like in my ad.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1667775
Stetoppingphoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a link in identifying the car was the decklid, the shape in which it was made.

Isn't that a KDF? i spot a indent for the door handle
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car of the picture is 43032 from the VW39 series and shows the same dents as the cars from the VW38 series. And with "wreck" I just meant our 43006 found as wreck in Lithuania. And that these two dents also were a hint that this wreck on a grassfield could be a VW38.

hope you understand for now...

... back to the question: are these two dents still visible?
RosemaryT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Kjetil L wrote:
I agree that there is a lot more interessting information and pictures in this thread that there was in the book.

A lot of details were lost in the book, importaint details.

More information...more pages...more costs...more risks. Confused

Publishing information to print is very expensive and you can never guarantee covering your costs. So who want's to put up the money. Wink

Amen, brother. I'm the author of eight books on old houses, and I can tell you, there's only way to make a million in publishing; START with $2 million!

Great thread.

My husband's already fussing at me about spending too much time at this site and this thread didn't help! LOL.
ampegboy1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nico1981 wrote:
He is speaking of the two dents below the waterdrain:

I also thought, these dents were a reason, why the wreck was recognized quickly as a VW38?

Are they still visible after restoration?

No, the ones I'm thinking of were in the lip of the gutter itself, rather than underneath the gutter, about the same distance apart as you'd expect the feet on a roof rack to be.

Searching back through the thread, it sounds like they were repaired before paint, it's been so long since reading it I didn't remember the repair being mentioned - at least I wasn't imagining things!

Michael
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 225, 226, 227, 228  Next
Jump to:
Page 226 of 228

Jump to: