Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW38 found in Lithuania
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 226, 227, 228  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonicjagstang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not KdF. It is likely VW39 as stated already. Look at the dash pod with the shift pattern not KdF. Also front hood is still square corner. No logo on the hubcaps. Maybe a transition? Front hood has square corner but rear has round corners and no flying swastika hubcap. The steering wheel and linked wiper arms indicate also not KdF. The impressions mentioned in the drip rail are evident in a few early photos of prototype cars. One with a rack for skis has identical impressions in the same location. It appeared appropriate on vw38 06. I'm not sure why they were removed unless it was a modification not built in but done only for cars with rack fitted later. Unrelated but notice what appears to be an electric defrost placed in the drivers side windshield.
axel struwe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

take a look at the door handels too...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ampegboy1 wrote:
Nico1981 wrote:
He is speaking of the two dents below the waterdrain:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I also thought, these dents were a reason, why the wreck was recognized quickly as a VW38?

Are they still visible after restoration?

No, the ones I'm thinking of were in the lip of the gutter itself, rather than underneath the gutter, about the same distance apart as you'd expect the feet on a roof rack to be.

Searching back through the thread, it sounds like they were repaired before paint, it's been so long since reading it I didn't remember the repair being mentioned - at least I wasn't imagining things!

Michael

Ah, I see the dents were at another place than the waterdrain.

But: why removing something, that was added during production and belongs to the handmade-factoring-history of the car?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondering if any of the experts can shed any light on this distributor?

I acquired it seven years ago off of ebay. At the time opinion was negative for VW but I recently pulled it out of my core pile and did a mechanical restore leaving the original patina cosmetics in place.

It is date stamped 9S which is September 1937.

There is a brass ring that came with the distributor and once fitted it is within 2mm of being the correct length for a more modern distributor like the 010.

The badge is interesting and has besides the 1930's Bosch style logo a logo for Lavalette. I do know that in the 1920's and 1930's Bosch partnered with several firms like Lavalette (France) in order to get around restrictive World War I reparations quotas.

The drive dog is interesting. It has a tapered shaft that does match up with a 36 hp distributor drive pinion with the spacing spring removed which did happen off and on throughout VW engine development. What I have noticed is that the distributor drive is symmetrical instead of offset. I wonder if the earliest drive dogs were set up this way?

here is a drive dog from a 1940's VW installed magneto\

This distributor has a fitting for maintenance oiling the shaft, I've never seen a VW distributor with this fitting.

The badge reads: F4VE4AS268

Here is a picture of a VW 38 Summer 1938, note the distributor with the condenser facing rearwards:

And here is the distributor in question. Unfortunately the badge and oiler are not visible. above.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JUST WONDERING WHY THE MOST VIEWED . MOST IMPORTANT THREAD HERE ON THE SAMBA NOT A STICKY? IT WOULD BE NICE TO FIND IT FAST TO RE- LIVE IT OR SHOW SOMEONE WHO HAS NOT SEEN IT FAST WITHOUT HAVING TO SEARCH? ANYONE ELSE WITH ME? CAN WE TAKE A POLL?
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgmalt46 wrote:
JUST WONDERING WHY THE MOST VIEWED . MOST IMPORTANT THREAD HERE ON THE SAMBA NOT A STICKY? IT WOULD BE NICE TO FIND IT FAST TO RE- LIVE IT OR SHOW SOMEONE WHO HAS NOT SEEN IT FAST WITHOUT HAVING TO SEARCH? ANYONE ELSE WITH ME? CAN WE TAKE A POLL?

NO NEED TO SHOUT. To save you searching for it simply click on the "bookmark this topic" link just below my post. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a Sticky for years while they were working on it.
There are less updates now.

In terms of finding it:
It's the very first thread in the Split Bug FAQ.
When in doubt where something is located, look at the FAQ first. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS I DID NOT KNOW THAT. I'M NOT SHOUTING MY CAP LOCK MUST BE BROKEN. Confused
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for another dose of 38/06 minutiae.

Look what turned up in the Norwegian classifieds today: A 1956 GAZ51 truck.

I knew I had seen those fenders before:

Seems like you took what you had to keep a car running over in the Baltic states. (Well I guess that has already been firmly established)

Grant Reiling Premium Member
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsidius wrote:
Time for another dose of 38/06 minutiae.

Look what turned up in the Norwegian classifieds today: A 1956 GAZ51 truck.

I knew I had seen those fenders before:

Seems like you took what you had to keep a car running over in the Baltic states. (Well I guess that has already been firmly established)

WOW, allsidius; we gotta hand it to you. Arrow
Pretty astounding of a connection to to make. Shocked
Yet another 38/06 wrinkle of time unfolded. Nice. Wink
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Grant!

Here is the charmer in all it's glory:

http://www.finn.no/finn/car/used/object?finnkode=61009964&searchclickthrough=true

2kart2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GAZ 69

Type1ofaKind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject: 1st post Reply with quote

After I was born in 72 I was brought home from the hospital in a Volkswagen. When I was a small boy I had a next door neighbor who had a 54. Mint, original condition. I loved that car. Riding in it always gave me so much joy. But the teenaged girl down the street had a car that just captivated me. It was like no other car on the road. I didn't know what it was but I knew I had to have one someday. Volkswagen Karmann Ghia. Type 114.

My first car was purchased for $300. 1967 primered rust bucket from hell. Didn't run looked like shit. California beach car. A hole so big in the floor pan you could fit a twelve pack of beer through it. God I loved that car. Fine tuned 1500cc single port with nipple hubcaps. I layed wood down on the floor, cut my own grey velour interior in. Man that car was a piece of shit. But I loved it.

Me and my buddy used to go drive the country sides and back roads of California in his 68 Fastback looking for that find. That VW that we all dream of. I shit you not, before the days of cell phones and internet we put hundreds of hours if not thousands in to our searching. Never found that car that makes you go wow... A few close but never an ultimate score.

But even if we did we didn't have the tools, space or resources to make our dreams a reality.

When I got older and started to have the tools, space and resources I found myself a very nice 1964 KG convertible. Great original stock condition. I worked 72 days straight two jobs and bought that baby and took it home. This was the car I dreamed of as a little kid.

But as an adult I dreamed of KdF and lost forever prototypes.

I just finished reading this whole thread. I don't have an air cooled at the moment. But I was thinking about getting one again and stumbled on to this web site. I was blown away by the volume of great cars for sale in one place! parts galore. And the forums... This forum... This thread.

I don't even know where to start... I had no idea a 38 was found until a week and a half ago.

The whole story discovery through restoration. That is what being a VW guy is all about. So many contributors on so many different levels. The world had no boundaries or barriers seperating these men online and in Europe from getting the job done. Every aspect of this project was assited by devine intervention from god or the gods, whichever you belive. How else can you explain these extinct parts finding their way to this car.

I do think a lot of people missed on the made statement of the viewing of the remains at the church. Not sacreligous at all. To me you had brought the Fatherland's forgoten fallen soldier home. Presented him before god and asked for peace and fogiveness. I belive it was granted and now that prototype, that soldier, that prisoner of war has returned home to be what he was made to be. A car. If Fatherland is an offensive name to some people. I'm sorry but you can kiss my ass, quit being a PC pussy.

The restore team. If I was to encounter this car I would drop before it to pay it my respect. I don't think it's possible for the original build crew to do a better job than you did. I think the car is absolutely amazing and would not even consider it anything but a restoration of the highest order. You guys did this out of love. And we were all young men at one time and there is nothing that can stop a man in love.

Hitler the N.S. and Porsche. Yeah, they are responsible for the birth of the Volkswagen. To that I can easily say thank you. For not just giving us a car. But a mentality a lifestyle. That we each create from what we each get from Volkswagen, Germans did a lot of bad shit during the mid 20th. But so did we Americans, Russians, Brits... hell, everybody in the not so civil civilized world did. The Germans lost so they are to blame. Bullshit, there are a lot of reasons to blame the war on.

But Germany (Deutschland) rose above its past with a little help from our friend VW. Congratulations on the 2014 WC btw.

Thank you to everybody responsible for turning this forgotten red car in to the unforgetable black one.
dlearl476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: VW38 found in Lithuania Reply with quote

After finding this thread 7 years later, I've made it through 130 pages. What a shame the links to all Christian's photos are broken. There are so few on the 38 website. Is there a photo gallery anywhere?
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: VW38 found in Lithuania Reply with quote

If you keep reading you'll find that someone re-posted many of the lost photos. I can't remember exactly where they appeared but it was great to find that at least some of them were available. It is a real shame that so many were lost.
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: VW38 found in Lithuania Reply with quote

Well you are in luck as I was routinely saving all the build photos as they appeared (the relevant ones anyway). I have reposted them in pages 202 to 203 of this thread or you can go directly to my gallery and look at pages 7 to 10. Unfortunately a lot of the photos were hosted on other resources instead of The Samba and have since disappeared from the original posts however they are still available.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: VW38 found in Lithuania Reply with quote

I joined The Samba on a recommendation from my local Volkswagen club, which I also just joined.

I have been a VW fan for almost half a century, but I have never owned one. My Dad had a '71 back in the mid to late '70s, but it went elsewhere when he was done with it. I am currently on the hunt to find and purchase the right car for my needs and budget. Ideally, this would be a pre-'68, although the right '68 to '71 would be considered.

As I do in most forums I join, I read most threads from start to finish, beginning at the top.

As it happened, the VW38-06 thread was at the top. Over the course of a couple of weeks of reading the 227 pages in my spare time, I have come to the current end of the thread.

All I can say is wow. I've seen restoration processes before, but none like this. I followed this thread like I would watch a baby being born, or a damaged animal being rescued and then rehabilitated. The whole thing was actually very emotional for me. My hat is off to the restoration team.

The only thing that bothered me is, because of the late date at which I discovered this thread, that shortly after the vintage floor pan was first shown, the pictures that Christian posted, and many pictures by others, were unavailable. I would have loved to have seen all those photos during the restoration process.

Many thanks to Undis who reposted what I suppose are almost all the photos that were no longer available in the previous pages of the thread. I breathed a sigh of relief as I began to look through them. I had many, 'Ah, so that's how it was done!' moments.

And there not a single angle in which this car's lines are not breathtakingly beautiful.
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: VW38 found in Lithuania Reply with quote

This thread is by far the most important historically on TheSamba so far, and it is hard to imagine anyone topping it. (Unless a real W30 is found in a barn)

Not only does it document an extraordinary restoration that far outshines VAGs own VW38/03, but it takes us back to the choices and designs as they happened in the Porsche and other workshops back in 1938. Moreover, the choices in some cases had to be done again by the restoration team, 70 years later.

It is my sincere wish that this thread could be preserved, with pictures restored, into a 600-page printed book for total VW nerds, carefully edited to remove double postings, irrelevant stuff, but keeping the colorful language and petty quarrels that arose when we all had our daily fix, checking the thread and the lates pics against Chris Barbers book and other historical material.

I, for one, would gladly cough up the cash for such a book!

splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: VW38 found in Lithuania Reply with quote

My favorite posts were from the people who said it looked like an ordinary Super Beetle.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: VW38 found in Lithuania Reply with quote

Very Happy

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 226, 227, 228  Next
Jump to:
Page 227 of 228

Jump to: