Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Non-matching numbers
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbearls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Non-matching numbers Reply with quote

Hi...A few years ago I bought (on ebay) a 1970 Bug convert with the intention to build a Volksrod. I finally realized that the project is beyond my capabilities and have been trying to sell it.

My problem was with trying to get the title switched from Colorado to Oregon and in my name. When I finally checked the numbers I had one number stamped in the frame and a different number on the plate in the front compartment. The one up front matched the CO title, so I was able to get an Oregon title with that number on it. I'm assuming that someone grafted a newer pan to the old body.

I recently had a conversation with a guy in Washington State about selling the VW and he said that the number stamped in the frame HAS to be the one on the title. It makes sense since the frame one is stamped in and the plate up front is only riveted on and could be switched.

Can anyone tell me if the mismatching numbers I have could pose a problem in trying to sell it and, if so, what can I do about it? My wife is really dinging at me to get rid of it and I'm just about ready to fill it with dirt and turn it into a planter!!

Any help/advice is certainly welcome.

Thanks/Bob
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vin stamped on the tunnel is the one that is really important. After all it is an integral part of the car. In fact none of my VWs still have the riveted plate (POs removed). To do it right you would need to do a VIN search and see what you came up with. However, if your DMV is like the ones in CA, you will be opening up a big can of worms. Of course you can always play dumb and act like you never saw the vin on the tunnel Embarassed .
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
bbearls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: mismatching numbers Reply with quote

I'm sure it's probably easy, but how do I go about doing a VIN search???

thanks
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can solve the problem easily. Just ship the car to me in Georgia. Titles aren't required for antique motor vehicles. I have the one-owner title I received when I got my '63, but the DMV won't put it in my name due to the age of the vehicle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bbearls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer....shipping would cost lots more than I'm asking for this "project". If you happen to come to Oregon and happen to have a car trailer hooked up, then we can talk.

cheers/bob
1970VWGUY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: mismatching numbers Reply with quote

bbearls wrote:

thanks

Car fax...uses the vin number
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1970VWGUY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: mismatching numbers Reply with quote

1970VWGUY wrote:
bbearls wrote:

thanks

Car fax...uses the vin number

Maybe you can get it retitled as a reconstruction.....using the real vin number....provided it's not stolen....then you have a big problem...

have any cop friends...
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if its the same in Oregon, but this is how I do it in CA. I write the VIN number down, and then call the main DMV in Sacramento. I tell them the VIN # and a made up name (Frank James as an example). Then I tell them that I am thinking about buying the car and I want to make sure that it has a clear title.

They punch in the numbers and tell you what they have found. If the numbers have fallen off the records because it hasn't been registered in a long time, you are good to go. If not they will say that the VIN numbers doesn't match the registered owner (they won't tell you the name). Then you have to go through a whole lot of BS paper work like a lean sale and other BS that costs a lot of time and money.

If you get lucky and the VIN numbers are not on record. Remove the riveted tag and the back seat. Then you take the car in for a VIN verification. Usually it is the highway patrol that does it, but if you are a member of triple A they can do it as well. Once you get the VIN verified, the you take the paper work into the DMV and get your new registration.

When you are dealing with the DMV and modified vehicle it is a royal pain in the $%#^. That is why I said that you may be better off to play dumb. I hate to pass on headaches to other people. But if your car is registered by the tag and you bought it that way, you are not really cheating anyone, because you didn't do it. Besides, in the too many years that I have owned VWs, I have never had to pull up the back seat to show the VIN number to anyone. Also, I can guarantee you the 99.9% of the police officers do not know that the VIN is even there.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: