Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is there a hit list on what I should do to 'sand proof' bugg
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rathbone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Is there a hit list on what I should do to 'sand proof' bugg Reply with quote

I just had my pistons and cylinders replaced on my engine and I would prefer not to do the engine any damage. I live near the coast and occasionally drive on the sand. What do I need to do to seal the engine and transmission well enough for this type of use?
(o\_i_/o) what you've just said ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul - Mr. Oblaski, Principal
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think sand is as critical of a problem as fine silt/dust, but a sand seal pulley and Outerwears on the K&N air filters(or better) is a good starting place
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use good air filters and apply grease along the rubber sealing surface when assembling. Sand can/does get under the air filters if you don't.

Crankcase breather system needs to keep out sand too. If you're using a common "breather box" get rid of it and go with something that uses a K&N style filter. If you have the stock draft tube (extends down from the stock oil filler/breather) you may want to place a filter on that. Not sure how I would go about it though.

Sand seal pulley setup as mentioned.

Clean THOROUGHLY after playing in sand.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rathbone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting grease on the air filter is a good idea - I've noticed sand getting through my K&N filter.

Ever heard of a sand proof alternator?
(o\_i_/o) what you've just said ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul - Mr. Oblaski, Principal
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure on the alternator.

Just to be sure, you do know that K&N type filters have to be cleaned and oiled on a regular (read:FREQUENT) basis? I mention this because I see VW people driving around with K&N style gauze filters that have never once been oiled. Without the oil, the filter offers almost no protection.

At the last Pasco Bug Jam in November I stopped counting when I ran out of fingers and toes...

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rathbone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but how often? I've only put 1,000 miles on it since I oiled it.
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bug is a street car and I service the filter every other oil change (2500 miles per oil change). For someone driving offload and on the beach I'd say every oil change or after every trip onto the sand.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: