Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can you help me determine a price for my 73 Bug?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
junebugboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Can you help me determine a price for my 73 Bug? Reply with quote

Hi, Cool

I purchased a 73 bug about a year ago. I wanted to relive my high school days and emotion overcame the sensible voice inside my head.

I bought it knowing that it was leaking oil but was told it was ok to drive (as long as I kept checking the oil!) I thought that if I had the plugs and some of the seals replaced this would solve the issue. I did this and it still continued to leak.I teach high school and one of my students who works on old vw's regularly, did the work. It was close to the end of the year and he told me to have my head gasket replaced. I was then told if I drive it while it leaked that it would start on fire! Well...

My mechanic (student...lol) has gone into the service, and I am currently storing it for winter and now am thinking I may have gotten in over my head! Should have listened to the little voice I guess...

If I were to sell it what could I expect to ask for it. I was thinking around $3500 or 3750.

It is a 73 bug, with an added sunroof, a stereo added, new gas tank, a fairly new battery, drivers seat doesn't fold forward, leaks oil, and the brakes are a little tricky (sometimes pulls to the right, sometimes to the left..Midas guy says he can't figure it out--he worked on vws before). This car came from FL, went to CA then came to Madison, WI. It has not seen snow and has about 69,000 miles on the original motor. (the odometer was detached for about 20000 mi)

Are there any mechanics in the Madison, WI area who still work on old VW? How much should I expect to pay for a headgasket to be replaced?

Thanks for the help!
fastinradford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some mechanic..

there is no head gasket.

Where is it leaking oil from.

I can safely say that unless it is leaking fuel, it is not going to catch fire, from normal driving.

Keep her if she is that original. Mine has 367,000 miles on it.....
who even knows about almost anything about the car..

On the brakes, it may need anything from lines cleared, new rubber lines, wheel cylinders, brakes adjusted, or any combination.

Recently a rubber line was swelling shut on me. They really do go bad,

Good luck,
Mark33563
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head gasket? Could he have meant the valve cover seal? Perhaps the pushrod tube seals?

Taks some pictures of the engine (top and bottom) and post them....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures are worth a 1000 words so post a few about the oil leak, and other areas of the car... not driven in snow that is a good thing.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you give up on the car, find a qualified mechanic to work on it. The leaks may be minor.

-jeffrey
jbbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't sound llike any real detriment to the life of this Classic. These are not late model cars and do have some inherent personality quirks. I would be inclined to search for a good Air Cooled Guy in your Area. I think by deafult you just may find some help right here on the Samba. i know I have learned alot just from reading what others have asked. For the record last year I fixed a major oil leak in a few minutes for under $5.00. Things are often not as bad as they seem. Good Luck!
Paul D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you help me determine a price for my 73 Bug? Reply with quote

junebugboo wrote:

Are there any mechanics in the Madison, WI area who still work on old VW?

http://www.bensveedubshop.com/

KantDriveFast wrote:
Quote:

As cool as it is to find old VWs that have been sitting since the '70s, most of these are cut up (buses especially) and smell like weed and feet. Sad
weekendwarrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to meet an old Bug that didn't leak. Mine runs like a top, but drips a bit. I just keep something under it in the garage, and check the oil monthly. Air Cooled Bugs are old, quirky, slow, and handle like crap....but that's why most of us love them.
cactu4r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know, someone once told me that VW's don't leak oil. they mark their territory...

its twelve parsecs to kessel, we've replaced the negative power coupling, its dark, and we're wearing welding goggles...HIT IT!!!

...our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now!!!
jbbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

" Razz When it stops leaking you should check your oil"

73 Super Beetle (sold),78 Triple White Vert, 74 Westy, 2008 City Jetta, 2008 Audi A4 2.0 T, 2009 Teardrop Trailer. 2009 Suzuki SV650A
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - there are mechanics around - but to get to your "question" If you aren't into the car, then sell it. The big issues are rust and if the car is solid, you are probably in the ballpark for that part of the world. The guys in California always can find totally cherry, low mile, rust free cars for $1000, but that doesnt count. Where you and I live, a good solid driver is around $3K or more.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: