Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

L Jetronic
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
li_gangyi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: L Jetronic Reply with quote

Gonna get this setup from a guy on the classifieds. I have a carburetted beetle and would like to switch to FI.

Any one has good pictures to show where the hoses and all are routed? I'm kinda interested also in how the Cylinder Head Temp sensor is mounted. I think I can figure out the fuel return somehow.

http://vwbeetleadventure.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What engine is it going on? Was the car FI before?

The L-Jetronic head (driver side) has a place for the temp sensor. You will need to make one if it's a regular 1600 head.
The FI heads have smaller vlaves.
You will need a fuel pump capable of delivering the PSI needed for the injectors. You will need the computer and double relay to get everything working safely.

If you ask me, your asking for trouble. If the engine is a regular 1600 engine it is going to be complicated. Better get a third party FI system or get one from Mexico.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, I think it is a bad idea to upgrade to 35 year old obsolete FI. Better would be to get a complete system from a late model Mexican Beetle. With that, it is digital instead of analog, and has O2 sensor feedback.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
li_gangyi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys and input guys.

I'm gonna get it megasquirted in the future, at the moment for testing I'll hook it all up as per stock. I understand the lack of an O2 sensor (permanent open loop).

I have it carbed at the moment, I don't believe the head has the boss for the CHT sensor, I'm guessing I'll have to weld a suitable nut or thread a hole to the heads to get this done.

I think some people with MS get by with the CHT sensor mounted on the rocker arm covers.

Will be getting the computer, not too sure if I'll get the double relay.

I've basically snagged parts from this guy for the intake manifolds and all, they're cheaper than the mexican setup (I'm cheap), pretty sure it'll beat the H30/31 I have currently.

I'd have to somehow hook up a real TPS to the throttle later on for MS though... that's another thread I suppose.

http://vwbeetleadventure.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: