Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eriba Pucks
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 78, 79, 80 ... 94, 95, 96  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
68Bug-lite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious what you all think of this Eriba wanna-be, ( Meerkat) being built and offered in San Diego?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They go for about $14,000

Flattering, or angry as hell? - What say you guys?

Here's the site with more pics...
http://littleguytrailers.com/meerkat/

Peace,

Greg
Bob M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Meerkat Reply with quote

Wow. They sure didn't have any design cost as it is almost a perfect copy of the Puck. I think it is a real compliment. The Puck is such a great camper in so many ways that someone had to copy it. It is 900 pounds, which is somewhat heavier than the Puck. I wonder if it is such a close copy that parts are interchangeable, such as the side windows that open. But, it does seem a little pricey at $14,000.

Bob. 😊
68Bug-lite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of on the fence about it.

One of the many nice things about owning a Puck, is the amount of people who come asking what it is, and wanting to check it out.

Kind of hate to see it become so common place, and everywhere.

Here's a link showing them restore / lift the dimensions from an old Puck..
https://www.facebook.com/LittleGuyTrailersCA/posts/251052261730647

Click the pics to get more of them.

Greg
Bob M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Meerkat Reply with quote

Greg, I agree with you. It does seem to diminish the "cool" factor of the Puck somewhat. And, I have to admit that I did enjoy driving down the highway and having people take pictures of my rig. But, it was inevitable. If you have something as sharp as the Puck, people are going to copy it. I am just surprised that it took them so long to do it. Maybe they had to wait for the patent to expire. Oh well, we've still got the original!

Bob 😊
68Bug-lite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too true Bob.

It certainly was inevitable.

My wife and I have reached the age where pitching a tent and sleeping on the ground, (albeit with an inflatable mattress) was taking it's toll. She's been hounding me for a couple of years to get a tear drop trailer instead. The thought of changing clothes on my back and cooking outside in inclement weather, held me off of tear drops, (although I think their way cool).

Being a VW guy, I knew of the Eriba option, and that a puck would give us the small compactness of a tear drop, yet I could stand like a man and cook inside, ( although I prefer outside if weather permitting) should the need arise.

I would imagine that's what the 'LittleGuy' trailer outfit were thinking; an option for those of us who just need a place to crash on camping outings and didn't want to hassle the tear drop short comings.

Seems like the Germans knew what they were doing.

Still, did it need to be a perfect rip off? I guess at $14,000 a pop, I don't have to worry about sitting in traffic in a field of Meerkats. LOL.

Greg

If I bought one of their clones, I'd have to screw on the four moving handles, Their a must have!
Bob M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Meerkat Reply with quote

The camper I had before the Puck was a very small teardrop. Great to tow and fine when you were in bed. But, it was not good trying to get dressed laying on your back. And it was terrible to get out of it in the rain when your shoes were left under the teardrop by the door. And it was no fun hanging around camp on a rainy day. It was like staying in bed all day.

I have seen completely restored Pucks for sale in Germany for around $7500 (and some much, much less) and with shipping being $1000-$1200 you would be saving a great deal over buying the Meerkat. Ironically, I bought my Puck from a man in San Diego, California (where the Meerkats are made) on eBay and drove from Knoxville, Tennessee out to pick it up. And while I paid a LOT less than a restored Puck, I've had the fun of doing some minor restoration work myself (new top canvas, new upholstery, new red striping, etc.

I built my teardrop and before paying $14,000 for a Meerkat, if I couldn't find a Puck available I would build a camper myself on the same design or layout of the Puck. But, as you know, the Puck is a highly desirable original.

Bob 😊
68Bug-lite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Meerkat Reply with quote

Bob M wrote:
as you know, the Puck is a highly desirable original.

Bob ��

Thanks for talking me down Bob...

I was ready to take a torch to this place. Wink

I guess I need to take a "chill pill". Laughing

Peace,

Greg
holg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: ...almost done. Reply with quote

Hi,
just an update: My '64 Puck is almost ready for takeoff. After half a year of swallowing wooden dust and old cloth fibres I finally made it. And I think it was worth the effort. Sad that the rear window seal is not very waterproof, but I hope I can find a good replacement somewhere in time.

I'd like to introduce... MY LITTLE HOTEL "BAD WALDSEE"! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The whole story (many pictures, German text):
http://64puck.blogspot.de

Cheers,

holg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
68Bug-lite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: ...almost done. Reply with quote

holg wrote:

Beautiful work there, impressive!

After checking out your blog/pics, I have to give you credit for venturing into areas that would intimidate/scare me.

From the cabinet work, taught headliner, weather proofing with new seals... all top notch.

Love the retro light you restored.

Well, if you cant find a suitable rear window rubber in Germany; I figure it doesn't exist anywhere. Confused

Thank goodness my rear seal seems to be holding up. The other three, well that's a different story.

Thanks for sharing "BAD WALDSEE" with us!

Peace, Greg
zenking12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: frame Reply with quote

This question may be posted but I cant find it if it is.
I'm going to build a puck and make it as close to stock as possible. I need the axle hub face to hub face length. Im hoping someone may be restoring one and its frame is exposed.
Also does anyone know if the alum is screwed to the frame or floated and secured by the trim.
Thanks in advance. Once I start I can post a build log as I go.
Dan
68Bug-lite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: frame Reply with quote

zenking12 wrote:
I need the axle hub face to hub face length. Im hoping someone may be restoring one and its frame is exposed.
Also does anyone know if the alum is screwed to the frame or floated and secured by the trim.

I'm pulling the Puck out of storage this weekend; I could measure the distance from the backside of the wheel mount hub to the othe hub if that's helpful?

I'm no expert on Puck construction; but from the cazzillion photos I've seen, the skin is tacked into place on the frame (screws?), then the trim covers the gaps as well as reinforcing the panels to the frame.

Peace,

Greg
zenking12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: axle Reply with quote

Greg, thanks for offering to measure the axle for me.
I found out the hub to hub and the attachment of the sides.
Now all I need is the outside frame width from where the axle is bolted to the frame.

Thank you very much.
Any questions please let me know.
Dan
[email protected]
zenking12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Top Reply with quote

My next question is does anyone know where I can get both the fiberglass top and the pop top for a puck. New or used ?
Thanks
Dan
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Dan. I think splashing a mold off of an existing Puck is probably your best bet, and finding someone willing to let you do that might be tough.

Realized a dream tonight...finished fabricating a hitch for my buggy and took my Puck for a spin. It tows really well.

folks55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its kind of crazy how just a minor change in angle of the photo makes the Puck look so much bigger or smaller than the buggy

folks55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ready for the Black Star camp out this weekend.

rebapuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to address the use of westy seals on the Puck. That's what I did and was so proud of myself for being so smart.

However, the seals inevitably shrink leaving a gap. That gap, no matter how small, will let water in. It mildewed my almost pristine canvas.

My advice is to think about where you put that join. perhaps on the side where it's lower and more likely to drain. Or, as I decided to do, put the seal only across the leading edge.
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put my joint for the seal in the rear. When traveling its less likely to get water forced in there. I also will make a point of parking it a little nose high in the rain, also with the idea that water will not pool by any gap.

Properly installed with the additional join plug, there shouldn't be any gap. Regardless, I think using a weather seal is a vast improvement over having the raw edge of the top sit on the roof. My canvas got soaked on a trip I took before replacing it and adding a seal.

I have indoor storage so the first thing I do when returning from a trip in the rain is pull the trailer inside, pop the top and fire up the wood stove.
68Bug-lite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Top Reply with quote

zenking12 wrote:
My next question is does anyone know where I can get both the fiberglass top and the pop top for a puck. New or used ?
Thanks
Dan

The outfit that makes the "Meerkat", (pictured above) for 'Little Guy trailers' is 'Classic Trailers of San Diego'.

You may want to give them a call and see if they'll produce / sell you a top that they produce?

Peace,

Greg
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 78, 79, 80 ... 94, 95, 96  Next
Jump to:
Page 79 of 96

Jump to: