Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'72 Spark Plug Removal
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
g16stu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject: '72 Spark Plug Removal Reply with quote

I’m taking the plugs out of my '72 Westie and its a bitch! Does anyone have any tips on how to make this even a little bit easier, the search came up with a few recurring themes, i.e.
1) Remove the fan
2) Cut a hole in the engine bay roof and fit a later access panel
3) Ditch the bus and buy a later bay!
The main feeling I get though is that it’s just a bitch to do and I just need to get on with it and do it?
Suggestions please!

All comments made are in accordance with the Rules of the Yorkshire County Cricket Club.
Traveling Writer
Samba Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relax, man! They're just spark plugs! Very Happy

Yes, 72s can be a pain to work on sometimes because of the lack of access hatch, but there are plenty of people who love them and have learned to work around them. What exactly is the problem? Get a few different lengths of extenders for your ratchet, feel around with your fingers a lot to get a sense of the angles (they're all in there at funky angles, esp #2), maybe get a mechanic's mirror just so you can see what's back there till you get used to it.

BUT if the problem is that the plugs are not wanting to turn out, then be careful, or you'll be posting a thread about stripped spark plug holes next... Make sure the engine is COLD when removing plugs. Cold metal is harder. Use some penetrating oil spray on the plugs if they're tightening up as you turn them out, or if they feel too tight. Use a drop of motor oil or anti-seize on the threads when putting them back in, and torque them to the proper values: 3MKG or 22 foot-pounds.

More info please! And don't swap the bus or lose heart, for god's sake! Go slow and enjoy what you're doing! Razz

1977 2.0 FI Westy
2011 1200cc Yamaha Super Tenere
1976 Feet (they work surprisingly well)
g16stu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha ha, dont worry, im not gonna cut up my bus and im definatly not selling it! theres no big problem really, im gonna get them out, am just looking for tips. as for doing it with the engine cold, theres no trouble there, the fecker wont start so ive got no choice! Smile

All comments made are in accordance with the Rules of the Yorkshire County Cricket Club.
Traveling Writer
Samba Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g16stu wrote:
ha ha, dont worry, im not gonna cut up my bus and im definatly not selling it! theres no big problem really, im gonna get them out, am just looking for tips. as for doing it with the engine cold, theres no trouble there, the fecker wont start so ive got no choice! Smile

Whew! You know, when I first got my bus a few years ago, I knew nothing about them. I still don't know that much, but I did notice one thing: If you're new at it, after a while, a half year or a year or something like that, you somehow turn this magical corner where you understand enough about what's going on and have enough confidence and experience that working on the bus becomes this wonderful feeling of joy. I can't explain it better than that, but I'll say the third time you take out your plugs, your face will still be pressed against the back bumper, your arms will still be getting scratched, but you'll be whistling while you do it! Razz

That said, two good threads:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=180224&highlight=hatch
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=221901&highlight=spark+plug+removal

1977 2.0 FI Westy
atmellovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a spark plug socket with a rubber insert to hold the plug when it comes loose otherwise you run the risk of the plug dropping into the abyss. What problem are you having?
g16stu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah , I’m using one of those, its just a pain to line up the plugs is all. Anything that can speed this up and reduce the amount of time I spend sitting in the street is a bonus.
I’m thinking I might make some marks on the top of the engine compartment that I can line the ratchet extension up with before I pull the plugs, then when I put them back in at least I have a rough guide instead of fishing around and swearing a lot!
Why didn’t the Germans just make the holes bigger and put bigger rubber bungs on the leads? surely the extra rubber isn’t that expensive? or put a lead in the castings to guide the plugs in?
Are the holes located along the centreline of the hole perpendicular to the tin, maybe I could make a bushing locate to the tin and guide the socket and plug in?
ok, now I’m thinking too much! overkill I think! Smile I'm just gonna keep fishing away and hope i get a "feel" for it J

Traveling Writer
Samba Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimately, you can feel the hole itself on all the plug holes except #2 (unless you have freakishly long fingers, maybe). All the holes and the plugs are set at weird little angles, not straight up and down. Before you pull them, run your fingers around them, feel around a lot, to get a sense of the angle you'll have to gently start turning them back in. OR you will crossthread them! SO, pull off the wires, feel the plugs up good to understand that weird angle. Also look at how the plug wires sit; that'll show you the angles too. All the bottoms are in a little toward the center of the engine; the tops are all further out from the center, about 10 degrees. All of them point in toward the center...ie the BASE of # 2 plug (bottom right) doesnt just point a little to the left, but also a little toward the front of the bus as well. The BASE of #3 (top left) points down a bit and to the right a bit. Get it? Not so important taking them out, but a pain putting them back correctly. #2 is the most tricky, it has the most angle (15%) but luckily, even if you had the hatch, it's easier to do from the rear. Move the air cleaner, I think, just loosen it a bit and you'll have room.

1977 2.0 FI Westy
Traveling Writer
Samba Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pic from Ratwell.com shows a stripped version of the right side of your engine, cylinders #1 and 2. See the angles?? The back of the bus is to the left in this pic.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1977 2.0 FI Westy
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a second plug socket and extension and put it on the opposite plug temporarily, then you have something to show you the angle you are aiming for, remember it's a mirror image though.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
g16stu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it! good thinking! Smile

cambarner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atmellovw wrote:
Use a spark plug socket with a rubber insert to hold the plug when it comes loose otherwise you run the risk of the plug dropping into the abyss. What problem are you having?

Soo... what happens when I do drop the plug into the abyss??

I have a 72 that was only running on 3 cylinders, I went to switch the plugs to see if that was the problem, and no I have a bus with one (possibly) bad plug, and one plug that is dropped in that mystery cavity?? any advice??
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 Spark Plug Removal Reply with quote

Big-ass magnet on a stick? I have a heavy duty one of these, and it could easily lift a spark plug. The end is approximately 2cm wide.

Grabber tool?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 Spark Plug Removal Reply with quote

I never understood the need for a magnet-on-a-stick,
till I started driving a bus.
The engine is wrapped in a tin clam shell.
atmellovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 Spark Plug Removal Reply with quote

One on the handiest tools I have is a small super strong magnet duct taped to the end of a two foot piece of hanger wire. You can bend it to suit the situation.
cambarner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 Spark Plug Removal Reply with quote

Got it out with a magnet and a hanger! Thanks guys!
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 Spark Plug Removal Reply with quote

when reinstalling the plugs put a little oil or wd40 on them and start them with the plug in the socket and use your fingers, not the wrench to get them started. I have experience stripping the holes and hope you dont have to if your careful. Its too easy to think its a just a bit rough to turn and wrecking the threads.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
atmellovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 Spark Plug Removal Reply with quote

I always found that having two sparkplug sockets was helpful, one with the rubber insert and one without. The one without was easier to orient onto the sparkplug and then to loosen but then switch to the one with the insert to complete the removal. Then reverse these steps for reinstallation. Note that if you use the one with the insert to reinstall all the way you may find that when you go to remove the wrench the extension will pull out of the socket leaving the socket affixed to the plug! Just my thoughts...
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: '72 Spark Plug Removal Reply with quote

atmellovw wrote:
I always found that having two sparkplug sockets was helpful, one with the rubber insert and one without. The one without was easier to orient onto the sparkplug and then to loosen but then switch to the one with the insert to complete the removal. Then reverse these steps for reinstallation. Note that if you use the one with the insert to reinstall all the way you may find that when you go to remove the wrench the extension will pull out of the socket leaving the socket affixed to the plug! Just my thoughts...

If you are really into this, you can braze a socket onto an extension so the extension can't be pulled free from the socket.

Seems that most engines I have taken the tin off of over the years have a extra plug or three laying on top of the heads and cylinders. Doesn't seem to hurt much though it seems pretty shoddy to leave them there verse fish them out.
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: '72 Spark Plug Removal Reply with quote

Before I put the access panel in my 72 I used a magnetic spark plug socket. That seemed to help. Once you get the angle it is easy. Remembering the angle is the hard part. Not trying to convince you to put an access hatch into your bus but it was the best thing I ever did after 15 years of ownership.

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: