Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring A Beetle???
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chichilengua
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Wiring A Beetle??? Reply with quote

I'm restoring my 74 Beetle, I was thinking about rewiring my beetle. Because I'm doing a restoration overall restorationa. how had is it to wire a beetle.. and where is the best website to purchase one. do they come with wiring lay out.... thanks
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if yours is a Super or standard: http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/electrical/bug_electrical_misc/wire_loom.cfm

The site has wiring diagrams also.
chichilengua
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beetle is a '74 standard auto stick, but I'm converting it to a stick....
kvorhies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more good ones. Comparable pricing...

http://www.jcwhitney.com/REPLACEMENT-WIRING-HARNES..._10101.jcw

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C17%2DWK%2D113%2D1974
JonF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring A Beetle??? Reply with quote

chichilengua wrote:
I'm restoring my 74 Beetle, I was thinking about rewiring my beetle. Because I'm doing a restoration overall restorationa. how had is it to wire a beetle.. and where is the best website to purchase one. do they come with wiring lay out.... thanks

you have something in your inbox that might help Wink

rewiring is not all that hard. just fallow the instructions to a T and in order. dont skip around. make sure you have all of the switches and other stuff you need before you start.
mack4200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im restoring a 74 super beetle and so far what im hearing is that you can only buy the main loom from the engine to the fuse panel thats it . and also i was told by a guy at archway who does restores that if you can try and save the original if possible because all of the after market ones arent the same color and he says the wire isnt as good
jamesdagg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mack4200 wrote:
im restoring a 74 super beetle and so far what im hearing is that you can only buy the main loom from the engine to the fuse panel thats it . and also i was told by a guy at archway who does restores that if you can try and save the original if possible because all of the after market ones aren't the same color and he says the wire isnt as good

I've never heard of the wire not being as good, although it probably is of lesser quality than the original, what isn't.

I'm sure though that the colors are right or they would be useless. Unacceptable.

The hardest part is from the back seat to the engine through the expanded foam in the quarter panel. Poke that sh*t out with a hanger before removing the old harness. Then cut the old harness off under the seat and tape it solidly to the new one and pull it through from the back with someone feeding it from inside.

Then just match up wire colors with terminal numbers without worrying how it all works. Match'm up and diagnose any problems when done. You can use the easier to follow '72 diagram for most stuff.

Four major improvements you can do when rewiring.(not counting gauges)

1) High amp (40) breaker or fuse at the back in the wire from the alternator to the fuse box and light switch. (B+) All new cars have these, called "fuseable links". A Beetle has no protection all the way up to and including the light switch.

2) High amp switch in the rear kick panel to cut off battery ground. Very handy when working on electrics. Saves connecting and disconnecting the ground strap. Later can be used as a cheap theft deterrent although it wipes the stereo memory.

3) Hard start relay to conserve ignition switch and more power to starter. Best installed at the starter but easiest under the back seat where there is a convenient T connector in the starter wire and the battery is right there. 20 min. job.

4) Wire your stereo switched power to your buzzer wire for an accessory position to listen with the key off.

For possible future gauges run a 4 wire ribbon wire from the engine to trunk with the main harness.

Best electrical site on the net. Bookmark it.

http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice suggestions, James. I have a question about wiring though. I see the diagrams have the different sizes and such. If I don't care about matching colors and such, could I pick up wires from a hardware store to use in rewiring my car? I'd imagine it be cheaper than ordering a kit.
jamesdagg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinnems wrote:
Nice suggestions, James. I have a question about wiring though. I see the diagrams have the different sizes and such. If I don't care about matching colors and such, could I pick up wires from a hardware store to use in rewiring my car? I'd imagine it be cheaper than ordering a kit.

All I can say is DON"T DO IT. You will become one of the ranks of PO's we all complain about. Evil or Very Mad

If you don't need a whole harness and figure you can make do with repairs go to a wrecker and cut random hunks of wire harness out of old Beetles, buses and even Rabbits etc. They will have all the right colors and you can replace any defective spade connectors.

In a pinch ask here for a hunk of the right color. I have several old harnesses pulled from wrecks and could send you an odd colored piece.

Go ahead and buy plain brown and red and black but get the proper tracer colors for everything else. You will be glad later when problems arise as you will be able to use the electrical diagram. Do you really want to have to draw a custom one and keep notes?

jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JonF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesdagg wrote:
I'm sure though that the colors are right or they would be useless. Unacceptable

my 68-69 wiring works kits was not 100% but real close to it.
fred69vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some tips I followed when I did mine......

BTW I am an electronics tech (retired Navy) by trade so that may have made it seem easier.

1. Don't pull any wires until you are ready to replace them. You'll need to use some of the old ones as "pull strings" to get the new ones in place.

2. Dremel tool with wire brush. Clean EVERY contact you are connecting to. Everything needs to be bright to provide good conductivity. Don't forget the ground terminals under the speedo and inside the engine compartment. Yes, they are there for the ground (brown wire) spade terminals to connect to. And clean the bulb sockets as well.

3. Rubber grommets. Get an assortment, like they sell at Harbor Freight. Replace every grommet as you do the harness. Also the rubber boots for the headlights and front turn signals. You could also replace the taillight rubber gaskets while you have them off.

4. Check and double check every circuit for continuity before you apply power.

5. If you haven't pulled the old harness yet, take notes, noting connections, routing, and wire colors as you pull the old one. It will help as a reference for your install.

6. Plastic cable ties. Different sizes. Use them liberally to "dress" your wiring neatly and you'll be proud of how it looks when you're done.

7. If any of the bare terminals look like it might short to the car, use heat shrink to insulate. Electrical tape is NOT your friend.

And removing the hood (trunk lid) makes access to the back of the dash easier.

One other thing.....download the wiring diagram from here

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt2.php

drop it onto a thumb drive, take it to Kinko's (or some place like it) and have a LARGE color copy printed of it. Mine is hanging on my shop wall where I can refer to it easily.

1969 VW convertible, "Heidi"
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool

Last edited by 69 Jim on Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total
JonF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinnems wrote:

in the end you will have something like this....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

now what red wirer went to what? thats the biggest reason i rewired my car. the whole back half was all red wire. and couldnt tell what wire went to what. save yourself the pain and pony up the cash to get a replacement harness. you will be glad you did in the long run.
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool
buzzboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought white wire and sharpies. It doesn't fade too bad because it's in the car.
guidosarduchi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome site - thanks James. At one point I had considered putting a new harness in mine 71 super, but my wiring isn't butchered very bad - and I would be facing some of the same issues anyway.

If you have access to Bug Me Video (#9 or #10, can't remember) there is a lot of good information and even some basic wiring techniques.
jeepinoffroad04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject: wiring Reply with quote

rewiring is pretty simple, i'm in the process of doing a 71 beetle for my old lady, running shaved 60's front fenders (no turn signals) and frenched tear drop rears. i ripped ALL wiring out to start with, some has been a pain in the but, dome light is the worst!!!! besides that its pretty simple. i will admit getting rid of all the turn signals made it easier. LOL. also added in a foot dimmer switch from a corvette, gives it the older model feel, plus its actual simpler to wire w/ the relay built in! i added a lot of extra stuff into the car such as heated seats, nice stereo system, power outlets, just some other electrical stuff, but it was all fairly simple. buy a test light probe and go from there!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: