Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiper motor/ 12v conversion
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrisf302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Wiper motor/ 12v conversion Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I'm sure this is a topic that has literally been beaten to death. In fact I've read a great deal of them I'm sure. I'm new to VW's as I just recently purchased my first one. I'm into classic cars but mostly big early to let 50's American cars. I'm working on the 12vconversion on a 1965 bug. The only part that I'm stumped on at the moment is the wiper motor. Only because I do not wanna waste time and money buying the wrong parts. The wiper motor in my bug says avog. I see folks talking about SWF motors and Bosch motors. I see quick change parts for the Bosch motors but I can't seem to find information on avog. Maybe that's because avog is a SWF or a Bosch. I'm not sure so I figured I'd ask guys who know, even if I do look like a dummy. Thanks again guys.
Snydr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor/ 12v conversion Reply with quote

You could hit up Don West; dude knows his wipers.

LINK: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1086158

'63 Beetle Ragtop - (Build in progress)
'00 Jetta 1.8T
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor/ 12v conversion Reply with quote

I have to say, I don't call having heard of "avog" before.

I "converted" my 62 to 12V long before any of the current options, back then all you could do is add some kind of extra high-wattage resistor(s) to effectively reduce the voltage by half. Later, since I was using a two speed wiper switch, I added another resistor to make my setup into two speeds:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I believe the resistances I have in my 62 are
Resistor #1 - 1.7 ohms;
Resistor #2 - 1.3 ohms; (but I use an adjustable hi-watt resistor so I can alter that at need)

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snowbro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor/ 12v conversion Reply with quote

I used one of these 12v to 6v converters and just ran my 6v wiper motor off of it

https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Waterproof-Efficiency-...62T4C19P7M
jeffinohio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor/ 12v conversion Reply with quote

Wolfsburg West has a drop in armature to replace the one in your wiper motor.Makes it 12 volt.No voltage drop needed.If I am not mistaken,voltage drops can generate a good amount of heat.
67 Cougar
3 Subarus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor/ 12v conversion Reply with quote

I have no idea what 'avog' means on his wiper motor, but if it's not SWF, that armature is not an option.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor/ 12v conversion Reply with quote

A solid state current limiter is the way to go. no need to rebuild the motor, no need for power consuming hot resistors. Get a current limiter, made for this purpose. some even give you variable speed control option. Ive been running these limiters for near 30 years,

See link below....

http://www.jbugs.com/product/9344.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg7vl_a7F1QIVBoNpCh3XfQyjEAQYASABEgIip_D_BwE

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Chrisf302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor/ 12v conversion Reply with quote

It says avog on the top of the motor. I searched em and some have come up on eBay. I'm familiar with the inserts and the various parts used to do the conversion. I'm familiar with how those work and how to do it. I'm just not sure what part to order because like stated above you use different parts for different motors. The Bosch kit is differnt for the SWF kit.
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor/ 12v conversion Reply with quote

Snowbro wrote:
I used one of these 12v to 6v converters and just ran my 6v wiper motor off of it

I run one similar, works great plus mine was less than 4 dollars

Last edited by pwmcguire on Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor/ 12v conversion Reply with quote

Gonna give you the best advice I was ever given when I started working on these cars. Don't overthink things.

I prefer doing the armature replacement on SWF wiper motors. Never heard of Avog but after a quick look, it seems they were used on really early cars..

You have a couple options. IF you can buy a replacement 12V armature for your motor, do that, but I doubt you will find one. Your car can also use a later wiper assy. You can source one for a 67 or newer standard bug and replace the whole wiper assembly. IF you are going to drive in the rain, you should take the assy out anyway and replace any needed bushings etc anyway and clean and lube (or replace) the wiper shafts and shaft grommets.

If you want to keep what you have and keep it real simple, then get the proper voltage reduction device as was mentioned earlier - install between the hot lead and the wuper motor and call it a day.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chrisf302
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor/ 12v conversion Reply with quote

Thank you man. That is what I thought enitially when I looked em up. It seemed as though the motor was off of an warlier bug from the 50's. At first I thought about just getting an essembly from a 67 bug off of eBay and making that work. But if there was an easier cheaper way I'd do that. I also didn't want to have to order several different conversion kits for the motor if I didn't need too. I've rebuilt gm wiper motors many times. I appreciate the help and advice and info. Thanks guys.
VW Habit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor/ 12v conversion Reply with quote

On my '65 I used a '69 wiper assembly and motor with a '67 switch (so it matches the other knobs). For the wiring, I followed the stock '67 diagram. Now I have two speed wipers that work like a charm.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor/ 12v conversion Reply with quote

I would try to find someone locally that may have one. Hoarders tend to have a zillion wiper assemblies in tubs or crates.....But I am not a hoarder since I only have 1 tub and 1 crate of them.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smokey503
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor/ 12v conversion Reply with quote

Didn't want to start a new thread.

The po did the 12v conversion. My wipers did work.
Just checked them and nothing.
It does have the 6-12v converter which looks like a tiny amp.
I was looking around to see why and noticed the small converter is really hot.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor/ 12v conversion Reply with quote

smokey503 wrote:
Didn't want to start a new thread.

The po did the 12v conversion. My wipers did work.
Just checked them and nothing.
It does have the 6-12v converter which looks like a tiny amp.
I was looking around to see why and noticed the small converter is really hot.

It could be hot for many reasons.

1...Resistance type of converter do heat up a good deal normally. Transistorized current limiting types dont get near as hot.

2... There could be a poor connection to the device, bad crimp on wire or such that is heating up itself and the converter.

3. The converter has fried, shot, kaput.

and anyrate do not leave this on if it is heating up a lot

Seeing as the wipers have just failed, my hunch is #2 or 3 if transistor type, if resistance type, that heat is telling me the wiper, working or stuck is drawing juice so the wiper might be stuck.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor/ 12v conversion Reply with quote

You could try the nifty little current limiter on my site. Just 4 components from Radio Shack etc. and a bit of soldering. It gets just a little warm. Its a current limiter set to the amps used by the 6v wiper motor so the wiper is actually working on 12v but cant overspeed.
www.vw-resource.com/wiper1.html
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cb1990s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper motor/ 12v conversion Reply with quote

Snowbro wrote:

Just found this - how did you wire it up? It has two in and two out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: