Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bostig Zetec Review: Install and after 2000 miles
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought you may all be interested in this, I helped my new friend pat do an install a short time ago here in Boulder, he posted lots of video including one of a run up I- 70 post install

Here's video # 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHnJ2VkeLH4&feature=related

You can just follow all the other links, Pat did a great job!
mtnwater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terran wrote:
Ok, i'm a little confused, and the Bostig website is not particularly helpful.
I thought the Zetec was not a North American engine.
If that's not true, then we can ignore the rest of this.
Are parts going to be hard to find?
Are they going to be hard to matinence?

To be clear - yes the zetec is a North American engine. It's production and distribution is not, however, limited to North America. As noted by others, low mileage zetecs are relatively easy to find here in 'merica.

Parts are amazingly easy to come by, and maintenance is a breeze.
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parts for the Zetec are available worldwide off the shelf at very reasonable prices. The Zetec was designed as a "World Engine" and was offered in every market that Ford is present in worldwide.

The engine is very simple to maintain. I recently changed my timing belt ($18.95 off the shelf at AutoZone) in about 25 minutes without removing the engine from the van. This brings up another nice benefit of the Zetec, which is that it is a non-interference engine (unlike most Subaru's).

I have a 2006 Forester that I drive in the winter when the roads are salty and my '85 Westy goes into storage, so I am no stranger to Subaru's. In fact I was very close to installing a Subie 2.5L in my van before I found Bostig. After going down to meet Jim and Brady and driving a Zetec Vanagon I never considered anything else.

I have about 8,000 trouble free miles on my camper now and I will be installing the Bostig v2.0 kit into my '87 Wolfsburg next month so I can get ready for the Bostig Turbo Kit!

Jay Brown
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terran
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtnwater wrote:
Terran wrote:
Ok, i'm a little confused, and the Bostig website is not particularly helpful.
I thought the Zetec was not a North American engine.
If that's not true, then we can ignore the rest of this.
Are parts going to be hard to find?
Are they going to be hard to matinence?

To be clear - yes the zetec is a North American engine. It's production and distribution is not, however, limited to North America. As noted by others, low mileage zetecs are relatively easy to find here in 'merica.

Parts are amazingly easy to come by, and maintenance is a breeze.

Yeah their website wasn't really specific about those thing. Although i did figure it was a north American engine.

I'm basically sold on this conversion (i would like to find the "sport" version) but i really like the completeness. It seems the cost it right around the same for a subie and seems miles ahead.

Next buy: A Westy of some year!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terran
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That intake, however, looks mighty restrictive. Like running a race while breathing through a straw!

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bunker108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing...that intake hose is horrible. This one in this thread looks better to me. It looks like a different intake manifold though.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=307631&start=0
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does look kinda odd? Confused

The stock Vanagon intake is a snorkle that runs up to the passenger side intake vent though. Wink
mtnwater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For those looking for more photos, a shot of my engine bay.

As for the intake - can't say that it's restrictive at all. Curious what make you think that it would be so? My intake has the same hose (as you can see) plumbed into a modified Ford Focus airbox that's connected to my syncro snorkle. It's a large diameter hose there there are no kinks or tight corners. Nothing restrictive about it as far as I know.
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the ribs in the intake tube slows the flow of air down.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
castlerox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't blieve you installed this yourself, that is awesome!
laterPeter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as an Oregonian (splitting time between Portland & Prineville) I have been thinking about the Subaru-urabuS conversion. I own & have owned enough Subarus to feel comfortable about the reliability... However, what I'm looking for is the reliability, better gas mileage & more power...
Money's a concern for sure but would consider doing this change myself... if it's conceivable.
Later,
Peter
mtnwater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrobewesty wrote:
All the ribs in the intake tube slows the flow of air down.

From what I've been told, this is true in theory but not in practice. The bostig guys are pretty thoughtful about what they're putting out there, and I believe Jim has considered the theoretical drawbacks of the ribbed intake, tested the question, and found it to be a non-issue. Not sure of the details, but if you're curious I'm sure we can find out more.
vinnyvango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an engineer (with a lot of background in fluids) I'd say it's not theoretical...It's turbulent vs. laminar flow. Most intakes are designed to "remedy" turbulent flow within a few pipe diameters.

As a Soob convert, not bashing the Zetec. Just making a point. Maybe they were leaving room for a turbo:-)).

Shawn
84/90 Westy/Soob
mtnwater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vinnyvango wrote:
As an engineer (with a lot of background in fluids) I'd say it's not theoretical...It's turbulent vs. laminar flow. Most intakes are designed to "remedy" turbulent flow within a few pipe diameters.

Agree that turbulant vs. lamanir flow is real, I'm just not sure that turbulant flow through the intake is significant enough to "restrict" the intake in an appreciable way. I could be wrong.
Terran
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's more a length and diameter issue in my mind. imagine trying to suck a 2leader bottle though a 3ft straw.

In other words, the engine has to work harder to suck the air in that it needs to operate which causes a signifigant loss of performance. That other intake was better, if not just because of reduced turbulence and length. Although it's placemean near the exhaust header is a whole other can of worms!

Petervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that air intake filter for me in its present location would be covered in heavy dust after driving for 10 min. on some of the dirt roads I drive on ( a continual maintenance item )...anyone who lives in the southwest or drives on some of the desert dirt roads can atest to the fact that it only takes a few minutes to get the entire motor bay area saturated with dust...
TELEK27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm am starting the conversion soon and I have it set up to use the zetec air box that is tucked in behind the passenger taillight and then into the stock snorkel here are a couple off pics
http://web.me.com/kadavid/Bostig_Zetec
bostig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vinnyvango wrote:
It's turbulent vs. laminar flow. Most intakes are designed to "remedy" turbulent flow within a few pipe diameters.

You're correct on turbulent vs. laminar, and if these were race cars with spec limits vying for every bit of power, yeah we'd do another intake. But these are 130 horse engines for vanagons, and vanagon drivers. The ribbed intake tube was used to tame intake noise, the effect on power is less than 2%. The biggest problem with the intake hose is it's appearance as it causes speculation as to it's effects on power just like what is happening here, and the fact that since they are custom made we have to buy them in large batches as well.

Oh and the guess about leaving room for the turbo, astute.

Jim Akiba

Last edited by bostig on Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bostig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petervw wrote:
that air intake filter for me in its present location would be covered in heavy dust after driving for 10 min. on some of the dirt roads I drive on ( a continual maintenance item )...anyone who lives in the southwest or drives on some of the desert dirt roads can atest to the fact that it only takes a few minutes to get the entire motor bay area saturated with dust...

Yeah guys in dusty environments definitely should go the airbox plumbed into the snorkel route over open element.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bostig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terran wrote:
it's more a length and diameter issue in my mind.

Exactly, perception is the biggest issue. We could always fab up a straight mandrel bent intake, it'll be noisier, you could gain 2HP low-mid, and maybe even 4HP at high revs. It'll cost you $180-$250 more, most will say it isn't worth it, which is the call we made. Although as we all know, bling always makes an engine more powerful, cool vendor sticker can even shave a few tenths off your ETs Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: