Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yet Another Grab Handle Thread (New WW handle, unsatisfactory)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:37 am    Post subject: Yet Another Grab Handle Thread (New WW handle, unsatisfactory) Reply with quote

Begrudgingly, I start this new one...

Overall, I really like the construction of this WW repop. So I recently installed this new Wolfsburg West grab handle in my '65. Of course, first thing I noticed was that both ends of the grip popped out of the escutcheons/collars/end caps (whichever you like to refer to them as).

Has anybody experienced this? I searched out over 20 grab handle threads and nobody has mentioned encountering this situation. I assumed it was common, but now I have my doubts.

Wait for a hot day and pull on it? Hair dryer? Heat gun? Yes, I'm mulling all of these.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rezidu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Grab Handle Thread (New WW handle, unsatisfactory) Reply with quote

A friend of mine has one. It looks great with no issues. Maybe yours is just faulty. Call Wolfsburg West. I’m sure they’ll help you out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
6T5 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Grab Handle Thread (New WW handle, unsatisfactory) Reply with quote

just return it and ask for a new one. WW is pretty good at this

Quoting John Muir -- Open the rear boot. Get out the stool and sit down. Contemplate the air-cooled beauty before you. - How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive -- Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Grab Handle Thread (New WW handle, unsatisfactory) Reply with quote

The ends slide into the chrome . You may want to pull it off get the ends in and then have someone hold it while you tighten it up.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Grab Handle Thread (New WW handle, unsatisfactory) Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone. I just wanted to ensure that mine is an anomaly.

Yes, I realize the ends slide into the chrome pieces. If you look closely at my pics, you can see that it was once assembled quite tightly, with the rubber grip seated into the ends. You can see the permanant depressions around the ends of the rubber grip.

Thing is, the stems feed through the dash holes at roughly a 90 degree angle, but when you receive the handle new, they're splayed out at almost a 45 degree angle, so the flexible grip has to be bent at the ends to align the threaded stems while slipping through the dash...this caused the rubber grip to pop out, as if it's too short.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Grab Handle Thread (New WW handle, unsatisfactory) Reply with quote

I'd suggest you soak the replacement in VERY hot water, so it can more easily bend to the correct angle. Install it while still very hot, then when it cools it may take a set.
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Grab Handle Thread (New WW handle, unsatisfactory) Reply with quote

I`ve used them before in the past with no trouble. But I put one on the 66 that I`m building and it has the same problem.
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Grab Handle Thread (New WW handle, unsatisfactory) Reply with quote

Call WW and e-mail them a picture of it. Then return it. They are great with returns. I bought one of these for my 63 from WW many years ago and it has been perfect. Perhaps they need to make them just a tad longer. I'm sure if they are aware of the problem they'll be glad to make it right. I've used WW for almost 20 years because of their service.
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Grab Handle Thread (New WW handle, unsatisfactory) Reply with quote

X2 on the contact WW advice. I bought a grab handle from WW about 5 years ago. It installed easily and it still looks good.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Grab Handle Thread (New WW handle, unsatisfactory) Reply with quote

Plastic, vinyl and rubbery type stuff are the only items I've really had issues with from Wolfsbug West over the years. But the grab handle I got from them years ago, when they first started having them made, has never given me any problems.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary Haberman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Grab Handle Thread (New WW handle, unsatisfactory) Reply with quote

I replaced the grab handle on my '62 years ago with one from WW and it was fine for a few months and then popped out from the chrome trim on one side; the one I purchased from them for my '66 wasn't good when I got it. I did write back to them and they sent me a replacement but it too was a poor fit. Like other readers here, I find WW parts to be largely excellent so I just will live with it. The "bad" side faces the passenger door so I really don't see it.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Grab Handle Thread (New WW handle, unsatisfactory) Reply with quote

I wonder if they changed to a different subcontract manufacturer or something since I got mine?

In seeing the photos above I remembered taking a shot of the vinyl meeting the chrome trim on my 62 at one point. I looked up the photo, it was from 2008.

Wondering that maybe it might have gotten worse in recent years I just decided I should go outside and check. It could use a little cleaning, but is otherwise fine. (the wire in the photo, is for the sensor of the indoor-outdoor thermometer that is magnetically attached to my dashboard)

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Knute63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Grab Handle Thread (New WW handle, unsatisfactory) Reply with quote

I'm having the exact same problem with my WW grab handle. As manufactured, the mounting studs are splayed out at extreme angles). When the handle is bent enough for the studs to fit into the dash holes, the ivory plastic portion of the handle pulls out of the chrome endcaps. I just emailed WW, but I'm curious what you guys have ended up doing.

Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Grab Handle Thread (New WW handle, unsatisfactory) Reply with quote

That's silver-beige, is it not? Sorry for the late follow-up, but:
When I called them, the dude on the phone said they were only having that trouble with the silver-beige ones, and that they resolved it with the ivory ones. Made me think they know it's a problem but haven't addressed the S-B ones yet Confused

So he sent me an ivory one, no charge, no need to return the other. And interestingly, where the S-B one seems gloss shiny and almost plasticky, the ivory one is more of a dull and rubbery finish, definitely more pliable than the S-B (silver-beige).

Anyhoo, I haven't gotten around to switching them yet, and I was still hoping to dink around and fix the first one when the heat of summer sets in to my dash.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Grab Handle Thread (New WW handle, unsatisfactory) Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
That's silver-beige, is it not? Sorry for the late follow-up, but:
When I called them, the dude on the phone said they were only having that trouble with the silver-beige ones, and that they resolved it with the ivory ones. Made me think they know it's a problem but haven't addressed the S-B ones yet Confused

So he sent me an ivory one, no charge, no need to return the other. And interestingly, where the S-B one seems gloss shiny and almost plasticky, the ivory one is more of a dull and rubbery finish, definitely more pliable than the S-B (silver-beige).

Anyhoo, I haven't gotten around to switching them yet, and I was still hoping to dink around and fix the first one when the heat of summer sets in to my dash.

Kind of surprising that WW would continue selling the silver-beige version when they know it has a defect. And now you have the wrong color.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Grab Handle Thread (New WW handle, unsatisfactory) Reply with quote

If there's a gloss difference, then obviously there's a compound difference between the two colors. Cut to the exact same length, the stiffer, less compliant of the two would make the bends less easily- thus pulling out of the caps.

WW needs to pull the SB ones out of their catalog for now. They are unfortunately becoming known for selling stock they KNOW is defective- just to empty their inventory on them. Cases in point: outer seals for split bus popout windows. and Hella sliced ham taillight lenses.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Grab Handle Thread (New WW handle, unsatisfactory) Reply with quote

Yes to all of the above comments. That's why I dragged my feet following up on this thread...on the one hand, I am reluctant to share direct comments I receive from vendors - especially ones who work with me and to which I give a lot of business for necessary parts - and at the same time, my fellow hobbyists deserve the information to make informed decisions.
Knute63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Grab Handle Thread (New WW handle, unsatisfactory) Reply with quote

Quote:
That's silver-beige, is it not?

The pic I posted is of an ivory grab handle that I purchased from WW in October and I'm just getting around to installing it. Have the new and improved ivory ones been implemented since then?
empi3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Grab Handle Thread (New WW handle, unsatisfactory) Reply with quote

Pardon my ignorance but, what are "sliced ham tail light lenses"?

Steven

1970 Beetle
1956 Ragtop Beetle
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Yet Another Grab Handle Thread (New WW handle, unsatisfactory) Reply with quote

hitest wrote:

WW needs to pull the SB ones out of their catalog for now. They are unfortunately becoming known for selling stock they KNOW is defective- just to empty their inventory on them. Cases in point: outer seals for split bus popout windows. and Hella sliced ham taillight lenses.

And the reversed brass tubes on the bus fuel tap. Been years they've known about that and are still selling it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: