Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tow bar limitations?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bzonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject: Tow bar limitations? Reply with quote

Hey guys just wanted to get some insight when it comes to using a tow bar (early style). I need to tow the pictured beetle soon but don't know if it has been lowered or narrowed in the front. I'm wondering if the EMPI tow bar I'm using will conflict with a narrowed beam or a lowered front end. Anyone towed a beetle and run into issues? Thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Tow bar limitations? Reply with quote

Post up a pic of the front end and someone will be able to give you a good idea if it’s been lowered or narrowed. Personally, I would flatbed it.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Bzonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Tow bar limitations? Reply with quote

This is actually an old photo and I do not have access to the car... until I go to tow it soon. Seems like as long as the attachment points on the lower beam are available I will be ok. I don't think it has been lowered much based on memory.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Tow bar limitations? Reply with quote

There are many threads on flat towing a beetle- read them because you will not get enough answers in time. I have towed beetles 100s of miles. All were 60 and up- and almost all were stock height. But straight away- I'd never in my most incoherent day flat tow a split window (or is this a back dated '65?).

The first time your tow vehicle hits a dip and the tow bar mashes two hard grooves into the front apron you will hate yourself for ever listening to anybody here. If it's not a true split- go nuts.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Tow bar limitations? Reply with quote

If it's not lowered much you should be fine for a short tow across town

If the beam is narrowed, no, a stock towbar will not work. The towbar needs narrowed in order to fit

I have used a towbar and never had any problems, however, I would not use it long distance, or with a nice car, or an unknown car. I would advise a 4 wheel trailer, or make it drivable and drive it
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Tow bar limitations? Reply with quote

My 62 has an adjustable beam, non-narrowed. I raise it up and tow it fine. My buddy just lifts the front of his by hand and someone else slides the bar under. We've had no problem towing it lowered that way, but it doesn't have bumpers. When alone he drives his bug up on small wooden ramps to put tow bar under.

Looking at where my bar hitch points hit the beam, I don't think it would work on a narrowed beam. Maybe a 2" narrow. Not sure.
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Tow bar limitations? Reply with quote

I towed this, which I consider a nice car, 750 miles from Virginia to Florida with no problem. It's not lowered though. You have to be careful to avoid dips and rises pulling in and out of places. So it takes paying attention and selective choices of where you pull into and out of so the bar won't his the car. And pull into places you can pull straight through and not have to back up. Otherwise, it's uneventful.

I've pulled both my cars on many trips a few hours at a time. Never a problem.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Bzonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Tow bar limitations? Reply with quote

Thanks Hitest and everyone. Just what I was looking for. If I proceed with the tow bar I will keep a close eye out for dip and rises. What a nightmare that would be. The beetle is a 65 btw. I'm looking to move it only 10 miles so I think I will proceed with caution and hope for the best.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Tow bar limitations? Reply with quote

Ten miles, just take it easy and you’ll be fine, as long as the bar fits the beam.
I tow bar’d my 57 Ghia 1200 miles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Tow bar limitations? Reply with quote

10 miles ! you could push it 10 miles Laughing Laughing
I towed my vert 600 miles with a tow bar when i bought it. Just make sure you have working lights so you don't get rear ended.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnr156
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Tow bar limitations? Reply with quote

Does the tow bar mess up the paint on the beam? I'll also be towing my 66 a short distance in a couple of weeks. I was leaning towards a dolly, the kind where the front wheels are strapped down to it and the rear wheels roll on the road. Any thoughts on using this system?
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Tow bar limitations? Reply with quote

johnr156 wrote:
Does the tow bar mess up the paint on the beam? I'll also be towing my 66 a short distance in a couple of weeks. I was leaning towards a dolly, the kind where the front wheels are strapped down to it and the rear wheels roll on the road. Any thoughts on using this system?

Yes, but nothing a scuff pad and a couple shots from a rattle can can't fix.

I've used a tow dolly. It's ok, but a tow bar is easier.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Tow bar limitations? Reply with quote

Wrap the beam in duct tape a fww times and the toq bar wont scratch it up. If the beam is narrowed a standard tow bar won't fit.

brad
daven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Tow bar limitations? Reply with quote

Years ago I towed a bug from Ohio to Cali with a tow bar - put a little grease on the ball/socket for smooth turns. Word of caution - DON'T BACK-UP with the tow bar!
Dave
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Tow bar limitations? Reply with quote

I towed my 1970 sedan 300 miles once, back in 1986 using the tow bar.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Tow bar limitations? Reply with quote

Quote:
(or is this a back dated '65?)

Hitest, very good spot! Was your clue the high taillamp position, or the larger side window size and the pop-out frame design? The semaphore delete plates are a nice touch to continue the era look.

OP, I've also used a Type 1 tow bar numerous times for towing up to approx. 85 miles one way. One was on a late '52 Beetle. All trips worked fine. One tip- when you are about to pull away for the first time, straighten the steering wheel on the Beetle. Once I had the front wheels pointed to one side, and the car shook strongly while still in the parking lot. I stopped the tow car ('89 Jetta) pointed straight, got out and steered the Beetle's steering wheel/front wheels straight, and went off without the shaking.
notsnarb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Tow bar limitations? Reply with quote

My $0.002 worth.

I've flat towed my car hundreds of miles (850 in one weekend) the only advise other than already given is if you value your paintwork - and my car has show quality paint, invest in some crash wrap it will minimize damage from stones & dirt thrown up by the tow vehicle wheels. its a throw away wrap, buy the roll.

http://www.rscsales.com/adhesive-crash-wrap.html?g...hlEALw_wcB

or google crash wrap.
arizonabuckeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Tow bar limitations? Reply with quote

A four hour rental of a four wheel flat bed car trailer from I haul is like $50...
rusty60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Tow bar limitations? Reply with quote

stupid question?? Does it run, got a friend, DRIVE IT?? 10 miles.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: