Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beetlebaum: The 1973 Super pulled from a Junkyard
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_whingnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good MAN!
PVWC Hampton Roads VA
CVA South East CT
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EXJAY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking pretty good so far. Now.....did you ever find the rest of the lifter??

'74 Superbeetle (Family owned since new)
'73 181 Thing (sold)
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXJAY wrote:
Looking pretty good so far. Now.....did you ever find the rest of the lifter??

Thanks, everybody! And to answer your question...no! Shocked I have no idea where it could have gone, and I don't even want to think of what the chunk could have done to my internals. Maybe that's why the cam is worn a bit. I've never found metal shavings in the oil or anything.
Beetle Bums VW Club Member
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over a week since I last posted, and guess how much I got done! Very Happy

...nothing, as I've been away. Today we bought new parts cleaner, however, so either tomorrow or the next day, I will get the case and internals clean, then take them over to the mechanic! Hopefully, I can get the case back before August. We shall see. I'm about to go out and take a look at some electrical connectors, as I don't have enough time to clean the case today. We shall see if my dome light is even connected.
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

degreasing the engine sucks. But once everything's clean (including the shower) it makes life SOOOO much better. Keep on truckin', I'll keep on trollin Wink

Follow my adventures in the GoWAND'RLoST bus on Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/gowandrlost/
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nepenthe88 wrote:
degreasing the engine sucks. But once everything's clean (including the shower) it makes life SOOOO much better. Keep on truckin', I'll keep on trollin Wink

Troll away! Very Happy Tomorrow we should dive in to the parts cleaner. Smile
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today is Beetlebaum's 39th birthday! I found a piece of the interior, a wire-cover, that has JUL 13 1973 on it, so I decided to celebrate his birthday today. Very Happy
So to start off the day, I took this picture. Goodness, does he need a bath...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then I dove into the parts cleaner. (Well, not literally... Wink )After working for a while, the old cleaner got so gunked up that it stopped cleaning! Tomorrow, I'll put new stuff in and get the last remaining nastiness from the parts and case. Very Happy Here's the aftermath!

Here's how the bearing saddles look now.

I had no idea there were numbers here, they were so covered with oil! What do they mean?

Speaking of numbers, I found these and was blown away. Very Happy

This crack means I'm getting new cylinder heads.

Wow, the tin is actually still shiny after all these years! I guess the oil caked on helped preserve these underpieces. The upper portions are a bit rusty, but I don't plan on painting them or anything.

Well, there you have it--four hours of fun! I'm hoping the mechanic can get this done within a week, so I can get the engine reassembled by the time I return to college! Please point out any big problem areas you see, and please decipher the numbers, also!
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been waiting on some things to happen that haven't regarding my engine, machining, and parts, so it's on to Plan B--B for Beetlebaum!

So, I have a question that is very important for me. I want to make sure I don't make a mistake in my selection of shops.

This site was suggested to me, and I want to see if anyone has had any experience with this shop: http://www.vw-store.com/Our%20Services.htm

Are the parts they use acceptable? I see they use EMPI...not sure what to think about that. However, I am nearing my limit for time and patience, so I would like to get this engine working again.

Also, who would you suggest using for shipping parts back and forth?

Thanks in advance, and if they're good, I'll use them. Pray
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New twist in the Beetlebaum Saga--and you may want to read it! Wink

We're continuing to look at things to do with the engine. The possibility of building a larger engine has come up, and I'm (surprisingly) interested. I'm looking at three options: the stock 1600, a mildly bigger 1641 engine, and even a 1776. No bigger than the 1776, as this will be my daily driver.

So I need your help, opinions, and whatever else you have to give, please.

First off, drivability. The engine must be able to be driven all around Virginia Beach, a place that gets rather cold and rather hot. Roads are sometimes traffic-logged, and sometimes fun and twisty. Thus, the engine should be able to withstand these temperatures and operating conditions. I know the stock engine can do it, but what about the bigger ones?

Second, specifications. I'm keeping the car at stock height--a non-negotiable item. The car is retaining all outside appearances of stock, no matter what direction I go in. This means stock exhaust, too. Even further, I am not changing the transmission or clutch. Will the 1776 work with a stock transmission? Stock brakes, too--I won't be driving that crazily! Laughing

Third, cost. I know that a rebuild is expensive enough already, but I simply cannot afford to spend a million dollars on a large engine. That said, I may be able to spend a bit more to get the larger engines' parts. How much do the carbs cost for a 1776? And can the original Solex be used on a 1641? I'll plan on using my original block, assuming it is indeed serviceable.

Fourth, fun. Ultimately, the car's built to drive. Can the 1641cc provide enough fun to justify the upgrade over the 1600? Does the 1776 really matter, or should I just stick with stock?

Whew. That's a long post, and it's all hypothetical! It all depends on the cost versus performance and time. So, please please please reply to this, as I return to college very soon and would like to get things set in motion as soon as I can!! Thank you!
TjdTaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought you couldnt get "new" 1600 jugs and pistons? A 1641 is good, but still pretty stock, i can get to 95 mph with mine but it doesnt sound good Laughing if i were you i do the 1776, alot faster, but not brutal. When i get around to bulding a new engine i want to go 2110 but that sounds like something out of the question for you Razz

Jamies74sb wrote:
I can't see myself cutting up my super beetle . Maybe a oval or 61 or so with the small windows
LeviMan2001
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the 1776 wouldn't be too wild as a daily driver motor. As for carb and exhaust, you can get by with stock, but better carbs would be a huge improvement from what I've heard. I'm not sure on the exhaust, haven't heard as many people saying that a new exhaust makes much more power. But as I was saying, a bigger carb (single weber?) would do you good.
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeviMan2001 wrote:
I don't think the 1776 wouldn't be too wild as a daily driver motor. As for carb and exhaust, you can get by with stock, but better carbs would be a huge improvement from what I've heard. I'm not sure on the exhaust, haven't heard as many people saying that a new exhaust makes much more power. But as I was saying, a bigger carb (single weber?) would do you good.

Does your engine have dual carbs? I'm about to stalk your thread to see the details of it. Laughing I'm wondering if I can get away without going to dual carbs, but then again...why build a 1776 without duals? Wink Also, if I put dual carbs in, can I still close the decklid?
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 1776 with a 110 cam and about 8.5:1 compression would really wake that car up! You could get away with a small set of duals (kads, baby webers/dellortos), and a merger exhaust. All would fit nicely under the decklid, run as cool as stock, and give you a nice power boost to boot! If you're doing to work though, why not drop in a stroker crank? a 2017 or 2110 would be even better, and you'll be much happier Wink
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is that my 1915 is a blast to drive, is reliable, has all the power I could need around town and climbing loooong hills, dealt with 95+ temps this summer just fine as well as the 35* temps last winter. That and I still get 19-20mph with dual kaddies. Stock exhaust is out of the question however the tri-mil jobber I have on there is nice (but loud) and lets you use heater boxes while maintaining a stock-ish coconut blaster appearance. Regardless of what you decide to do, go full flow or at least tap it now so you can do it later. I would also consider a ghia front disk kit on general principle. Stock tranny should be fine (if it can handle a turbo subee it can handle any vw engine)

one thing to think about is the cost of good internals. Things add up REAL quick if you do a nice forged cw crank, etc. not to mention the cost of carbs and linkage. Its real easy to drop $8k. Personally.... I would go subee ej22. It's more research but it can be done well for right around 2k.

Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nepenthe88 wrote:
All I can say is that my 1915 is a blast to drive, is reliable, has all the power I could need around town and climbing loooong hills, dealt with 95+ temps this summer just fine as well as the 35* temps last winter. That and I still get 19-20mph with dual kaddies. Stock exhaust is out of the question however the tri-mil jobber I have on there is nice (but loud) and lets you use heater boxes while maintaining a stock-ish coconut blaster appearance. Regardless of what you decide to do, go full flow or at least tap it now so you can do it later. I would also consider a ghia front disk kit on general principle. Stock tranny should be fine (if it can handle a turbo subee it can handle any vw engine)

one thing to think about is the cost of good internals. Things add up REAL quick if you do a nice forged cw crank, etc. not to mention the cost of carbs and linkage. Its real easy to drop $8k. Personally.... I would go subee ej22. It's more research but it can be done well for right around 2k.

Thank you! I will discuss it with my parents, and hopefully by tonight have a definitive answer and direction for the Bug. Very Happy
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh great... now all of ya got me thinking new motor now... and I haven't finished the volksrodding part yet! Laughing
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news! Beetlebaum's engine is going to California! Very Happy

As I am returning to school very soon, I no longer have the time resources available to me to wait for help with my engine's machining, and I cannot spend the time putting it back together, really. (Sadly.) So, I'm shipping it off to RIMCO in CA to be machined and built into either a short block or a longblock stock 1600! Once it's shipped off, I won't be able to do any work until Thanksgiving--but maybe, if it's a long block, I can get it running by the time that I return to school after Thanksgiving.

Also, I will be in the market for a new old-style thermostat and thermostat linkage rod, so if anyone has a lead on one, I'd appreciate the help!

I'll let you know when I get a definitive answer on long versus short block.
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless my dad changes his mind, Beetlebaum's getting his longblock rebuilt and assembled by RIMCO! Dancing I just had to let my CA friends know that they just can't get away from the car. Laughing

I'm still looking for a thermostat and linkage rod, if anyone knows of where to get either! Thanks.
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it's off! I shipped the engine to RIMCO today to be built into a longblock. I won't see the engine again until Thanksgiving, because I'll be back at school.

Kinda puts a new spin on a "boxer" motor, doesn't it? Laughing

So, minus banging the apron into shape in preparation for installation of the engine in the future and maybe replacing the transmission fluid, I'm done for a while.
Nepenthe88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beetlebaum wrote:
I'm done for a while.

Haha! Three boxes... I put everything in one GIGANTIC home-made box and then had to tear it apart and re-box everything at the UPS store cause they didn't like my cardboard craftsmanship Rolling Eyes Just don't think you're done. There's still plenty of stuff that could use attention while the engine's out. Clean up the engine compartment, check the seals (last pic I saw, the front of the engine seal was toast), make a removable rear apron!! get your wiring all straightened out and loom'd up nice.... just cause the go is gone, don't mean you get to sit on your laurels till it comes back, haha!!

and are you getting the case tapped for full flow?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 33

Jump to: