Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

beehive springs.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raul arrese wrote:
Im interested in beehives but I really don't think there are good choices out for our applications .

Why? I see no reason why they would not make a good street spring. All out race spring? No

Dan
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I guess you can have some made , but what I really ment is readily available springs with the correct hieghts we need without machining or installing longer valves .
" 2013 Lakeland Classic Best of Show "
" 2014 Show and Shine , First in class "
"
Like my facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raul-Arrese-custom-fabrication-and-performance/1832968110262608
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you are going to get springs made to fit stock standard heads - the register in the head is not going to suit the springs. There are Ford springs that will fit by machining the guide boss and head to fit the spring and take it a little deeper. There is a thread about from Vincent in France who used comp cam springs, but there is a PAC racing spring that looks better to me.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look at the manley catalog(on line) they have a very good size chart of their stuff, you should be able to pick out somethen very close.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted the part number a half dozen times already of the beehive that fits a stock spring pocket but nobody seems to have any interest since you can only lift about .450 with adequate seat pressure(85 lb).
part number: sbi-160-1436

The GM LS oval wire spring requires at least a type-4 length valve but that should not be a problem. valves cost the same no matter what length.

The reason you need longer valves is retainers........it's dead simple once you realize.
A tiny retainer cannot allow the spring to sit above the keepers like usual VW retainers do. Rolling Eyes

Could also move the keepers upward using 22r or b2000 valves and that is fine too but please use chrome stem valves, not nitrided!
Mrblue01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The springs that PSI sells are designed fit around the stock cylinder head boss without machining (I designed them myself).

The biggest benefit of a beehive spring is that you can use a retainer of a smaller diameter - less weight. A bugpack or berg retainer is roughly 21g... a retainer for the PSI spring is roughly 11g (the same as a full size titanium). Plus the spring itself is lighter (at the moving end) than a cylindrical spring.

The other benefit of a beehive is that the spring rate is changing as the larger coils close up and only the smaller diameter coils are active. This changing rate is also a changing natural frequency. Therefore the spring is less likely to go into a nasty harmonic and lose control of the valve.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrblue01 wrote:
The springs that PSI sells are designed fit around the stock cylinder head boss without machining (I designed them myself).

The biggest benefit of a beehive spring is that you can use a retainer of a smaller diameter - less weight. A bugpack or berg retainer is roughly 21g... a retainer for the PSI spring is roughly 11g (the same as a full size titanium). Plus the spring itself is lighter (at the moving end) than a cylindrical spring.

The other benefit of a beehive is that the spring rate is changing as the larger coils close up and only the smaller diameter coils are active. This changing rate is also a changing natural frequency. Therefore the spring is less likely to go into a nasty harmonic and lose control of the valve.

PSI part #?

Dan
Mrblue01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D148X (details on page 1 of this thread)

It was designed to replace a single Bugpack HD spring that most racers use in a 1/2 1600 off-road engine. 0.450"ish lift, 6000 rpm.
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrblue01 wrote:
D148X (details on page 1 of this thread)

It was designed to replace a single Bugpack HD spring that most racers use in a 1/2 1600 off-road engine. 0.450"ish lift, 6000 rpm.

No listing for this spring on the PSI site...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mrblue01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: beehive springs. Reply with quote

Correct, it is not officially in the PSI catalog. It was made as a private custom spring, but has been sold to the public - primarily through R/D Spring (its on their website). They also sell a version of it with less load for applications trying to minimize friction. (Formula Vee, etc)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: