Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What do you do with your stuff while camping?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terran
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: What do you do with your stuff while camping? Reply with quote

So "stuff" storage inside a smaller vehicle is understandably limited. So when your on a camping trip with 3 to 4 people, what do you do with all your extra stuff at night? (Especially on longer trips?)

I'm just wondering cause it seems the main storage area is the space behind the z-bed.

Do you just throw it on the floor or sleep with it? When i used to drive tandem in tractor-trailers i used to always just sleep with my stuff. lol

Next buy: A Westy of some year!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ma'ili Pt Westy
Samba Member

Location: Woodside, California (located in Northern California)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is usally me and my wife that go camping in our Westy. We sleep on the bottom bunk and store all the gear on the top bunk and front seats.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We take rubber maid bins, some stuff goes on the floor under the edge of the bunk, some in the front seats under the cot, and some stays outside in the bins.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the kids in a tent (when they're old enough), store all your stuff in the bed you're not using. When they get older build a trailer. It gets out of hand with three teenagers.
Terran
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since i'll be back at work soon i hope to get a westy by years end. To that extent, me and 3 other friends are hoping to do burning man in 2010. So i was just wondering how you fit enough gear for 4 people for like 6 days in a westy.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when traveling with more than 2 people, the first thing I do when I get to camp is lay out a small tarp next to the vehicle and pull everything out of the van. If its two people I pop the top and everything goes up there.

For Burningman, its all about the rubbermaid bins. Also consider an extra tent - just for stuff.
Terran
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelhead wrote:
when traveling with more than 2 people, the first thing I do when I get to camp is lay out a small tarp next to the vehicle and pull everything out of the van. If its two people I pop the top and everything goes up there.

For Burningman, its all about the rubbermaid bins. Also consider an extra tent - just for stuff.

I could see the Rubbermaids, make a little tarp camp. You gotta figure water and food is the biggest thing, then 4 bicycles and other assorted junk to keep you sane for a week.

Sheesh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have Rubbermaid Action Packers (w/ a place for a real lock). They have side locking mechanisms that keep the lid secure and the design makes the waterproof, even when on top and we are diving. They are kind of tall, though, and gather a lot of wind. One will fit in the luggage area, two others are in our basket that is on our rack.

I call them our poor-man's Rocket Box (or whatever spendy things you get from Yakima/Thule).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

koolmoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget, you've got a luggage area up top. There are all sorts of aftermarket straps and bags so you can at least travel with luggage up there. Whether good for storage while camped...guess it depends on what it is and how tall y'all are.

I'll be getting a rear hitch soon, one way or another, and have a ~2.5'x5' metal carrier to use. Could definitely get a large rubbermaid bin for it (we use those for car camping too). There are lots of aftermarket options for hitch-mounted carriers too.

Otherwise, we just throw other items up front mostly.
KM
from '91-'95: 1982 Westy Diesel (Smokey. Traded in for far too little!)
from '87-'91: 1980 VW Rabbit (my econoPorsche - passed on)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we traveled as a family we have usually just used a tent for sleeping keeping most every thing else stowed inside the van. Now with just the wife and I we have removed the rear seat and heater and used plyboard to make a bed platform that fits behind the middle seat. This leaves a large space behind the seat and under the platform where we store the heavier stuff. Duffels and other light stuff just get moved back and forth as need be.
rockfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all 4 of us are sleeping in the Westy and we're at one site for more than a day, we usually put everything up in the front - works out OK. One bag on the floor, another in the seat, etc.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
- John Wooden
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you turn your seats so they face each other....you can lay a small piece of plywood from seat to seat.

You have just created a shelf and you would be surprised just how much space you have to work with and how much "stuff" you can get in that space!!!!!!!! Dont forget about the seatwells either.

I found that if I used those plastic storage boxes from Target...I could stack them on top of each other and have everything in an organized fashion and nothing works better than organization when you have four plus adults sharing a small space.
Kejidog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are a family of four, we can travel for several days with just our stuff stored in the cabinets/under the bench seat and in the closets. We put the boys clothes in ziplocks by outfit and day in the rear closet. We can put up to a weeks stuff for them. Mine and Wendy's stuff goes in the long closet with the Bedding. Sleeping bags under the bench(no rear heater). Toys and bbq's and other stuff go into two rough totes in the back on engine deck. And one MEC large duffell on the luggagerack holding ez awning/poles. Chairs x4 a ground mat, gwrainfly. And muddy shoes. I use three seatbelt attachments from a kids car seat with the metal hooks to clip to the lash points. These are great as they attach quick and can be tightened up real tight. I then put my canoe on the roof add my bike rack to the rear hatch and load up 4 bikes. Canoe paddles are a bit of a pain but they can be jammed in just about anywhere secure. Thats it camping like the Clampetts! Oh yeah then we throw a labrador and her crate in there too! Food goes in the side wells amd the rear cabinet. Beer in the fridge! But we look like a clown car when we arrive at our destination with stuff falling out everywhere.
Leavin to Live
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always keep a 6man tent in the bus. Usually it's just for my crap, every so often someone sleeps in it (usually while drunk and on top of my stuff Confused Shocked )
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a small box trailer 3x3x6. Aluminum and steel
weighs about 250lbs. It's water tight,lockable,will soon have
racks on top for bikes and keeps all the crap out of the van.
Pulling it even fully loaded won't be problem. Teaching my
wife to back up with it will. It's narrow so you cant really see
it in your mirrors unless it's at an angle. Just need to spray it
the same color as my van and she will be ready to hit
the road.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
simonslp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry couldn't resist Smile

climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

How about some pictures, cost, and where you bought it?

-CJ

BillM wrote:
I just bought a small box trailer 3x3x6. Aluminum and steel
weighs about 250lbs. It's water tight,lockable,will soon have
racks on top for bikes and keeps all the crap out of the van.
Pulling it even fully loaded won't be problem. Teaching my
wife to back up with it will. It's narrow so you cant really see
it in your mirrors unless it's at an angle. Just need to spray it
the same color as my van and she will be ready to hit
the road.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon - nice. That is truly a couple of huge spaces, eh?

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
speedygeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you do with your stuff while camping? Reply with quote

This tent can be left in stand alone mode when you want to leave campsite for the day.

joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: storage Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus WE have a westy sun roof syncro. Have a Thule basket in front, can stand up and load it from inside the van. And of course the two front seats hold a lot. But it's just the two of us and a dog. And you can use all of the rest of the places in a westy to. Solar panel on rear with bike rack on side of it. So the roof is full, but that is where it all should go! Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: