Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SurePower Battery Isolator with Generator
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
arthurnugen
Samba Member

Location: The PNW, where "going green" means rolling with moss.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: SurePower Battery Isolator with Generator Reply with quote

Hi All!

Now that Spring is upon us (sort of), I was thinking about putting in a second battery with an isolator for my Riviera. Thanks to MajorWoody and his advice, I am going with the SurePower 702 Isolator. It seems to be the best and most reliable over a relay setup, even though that seems to also be quite popular.

The problem I ran into when searching is that everyone seems to be using an alternator and I still have a generator. I wanted to be 100% sure how to set this up prior to purchase, so I contacted SurePower (who is now owned by Cooper Industries) and was told I can use their isolator with a generator, no problem. They also sent me a wiring diagram. I have posted the diagram for anyone who has the same questions as I did so that it can be found with a search.

Arthur

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

P.S. You can also use the 702R, just don't bother with the "R" terminal. Hope some of you find this useful. Smile

zozo wrote:
Don't worry too much. You can always trust a lawyer.

ALWAYS WEAR STEEL-TOE BOOTS IN THE GARAGE!
1965 Bus (Riviera camper)
1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
1957 DKW 3=6: 3 cylinder 2 stroke!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I note it says to make sure your regulator runs at 14V at fast idle.
I use a cigarette lighter voltage gauge to monitor charging as I drive, and all my generator VW's run around 14V at fast idle with the headlights off.
So you should check the voltage, but if your generator and regulator are functioning properly, you should be fine without having to modify the regulator.

Also, I assume that's some sort of solid state diode device, so I'd prepare a connector to jumper out the device if it fails on the road. Call me paranoid.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed one of those SurePower Isolators probably 15 + years ago with a generator. Works great or should say it did. I haven't had the camper bus running in a few years. What kind of battery are you running for your Aux.? I used a marine deep cycle. I split the circuits so only the bus starter and lights run on the stock battery and everything else (interior lights, radio, blender, etc.) runs on the deep cycle.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by Fish on Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xavi_242
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got my sure power isolator, need to install...
This diagram will be usefull thanks!
arthurnugen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to help. Smile I was thinking deep cycle as well, as that is what I have read. What's the advantage of a deep cycle? Is it just that it lasts longer? j.pickens, good idea, but why do you think it would fail?

zozo wrote:

1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, deep cycle will last longer when in use and in years. While camping I've gone 4 days with out a problems and that was when the kids were small so you used more power.
The only bad point is the deep cycle has no cranking amps so you can't use it to jump start your bus or another car if the other ones goes dead.

# 303 and #156

arthurnugen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Good to know. That would be a problem because sometimes we go camping where there is no access to other people or services. Still, that shouldn't be a problem as long as I don't do something stupid like leave the lights on or something, right?

zozo wrote:

1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arthurnugen wrote:
Happy to help. Smile I was thinking deep cycle as well, as that is what I have read. What's the advantage of a deep cycle? Is it just that it lasts longer? j.pickens, good idea, but why do you think it would fail?

Like I said, I'm paranoid. I try to have extra stuff on long trips to prevent being disabled on the side of the road. Solid state stuff is great, I use the solid state Bosch Mexican voltage regulators. However, silicon, if overloaded, will just fail. No halfway limping home, dead open circuit.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
arthurnugen wrote:

Like I said, I'm paranoid. I try to have extra stuff on long trips to prevent being disabled on the side of the road. Solid state stuff is great, I use the solid state Bosch Mexican voltage regulators. However, silicon, if overloaded, will just fail. No halfway limping home, dead open circuit.

In really simple terms .... The isolator is really nothing more than really big diodes. They let power go through one way and not back the way it came. If the isolator fails, just disconnect it from the system and you can still drive home ...... after you "bump" start your bus. Shocked

# 303 and #156

j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish wrote:

In really simple terms .... The isolator is really nothing more than really big diodes. They let power go through one way and not back the way it came. If the isolator fails, just disconnect it from the system and you can still drive home ...... after you "bump" start your bus. Shocked

Right, which is why I said to have connectors so you could bypass it, if it fails.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harbor Freight makes a cheap and simple high amperage battery disconnect switch that you could use to bridge the two batteries if you wanted to put a jumper on the line.

I would suggest you look into a deep cycle gel battery for the leisure battery. You will kill a regular lead acid battery in that application in no time. Optima makes a yellow battery that will work, and Deka makes a deep cycle gel battery that looks just like a regular battery. We are using the Deka, which barely fits.
arthurnugen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know, thanks!

zozo wrote:

1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
slow&low
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice info shown!!
MrBusCo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a battery isolater ( stinger 80amp), the directions call for in line fuse on the positive wires going to each battery. Can you recommend what size wires and fuse to use to connect the batteries? the directions leave this out. My second battery will just be running a 12v fridge and some interior lights.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the heaviest downstream load you intend to connect?
MrBusCo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess it is the fridge, a Norcold DC0040 which has a max draw of 2.7amps.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. And what are you running for a generator/alternator? Amp output max?
MrBusCo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know the exact output, it is your run of the mill 12v generator.
arthurnugen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably 70 amps then. I think I used 10 gauge coming off the battery, but it's been awhile so I will have to check. I've been meaning to post pics and add a prgoress update, too.

Also, I used a 50 amp in line breaker coming off the aux battery, as per the instructions. You won't be able to find them at your local FLAPS, so go to a marine store or better yet a battery store.

Since I've put the system in I've been able to run interior lights, radio and my gas heater great with no problems for the starter battery. I was also told by the guy at the battery store that as long as I drive the bus at least once a month it should keep both batteries nice and charged up.

Finally, please don't go cheap and use a regular battery for your aux. battery. A regular battery anywhere in the interior will vent sulphur gas and other noxious fumes. Get an Optima.

Arthur

zozo wrote:

1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
MrBusCo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the instructions that came with my kit. nothing about a breaker but it does mention a fuse holder. I guess I am just confused as to why they dont say what size wire and fuse to use.

http://www.stingerelectronics.com/images/pdfs/8SGP32-SGP38.pdf

Last edited by MrBusCo on Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: