Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bodywork/paint shops recommendations in Seattle ?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Bodywork/paint shops recommendations in Seattle ? Reply with quote

Hello,

Does anybody have any recommendations on bodywork/paint shops in Seattle, that ideally specialize in Vanagon Westys ? Somebody with the same level of quality as Ben (www.benplace.com) would be appreciated.

These latest threads about Westy repainted have me intrigued. My van could definitely use a facelift/fix/repaint treatment. Was going to use the money for a new Zetec, but won't have space for doing the conversion until mid next year, so I might swap the order of upgrades (current engine works fairly well right now). I know that my wife would also appreciate a better looking van Smile

Not sure if I want somebody to fully dismantle the inside or cover cabinets, etc (I've seen Ben doing that for full color conversions with good results).
Also, for the people that have repainted their vans, what do you do with the poptop, do you remove prior to paint, or you open and cover it while doing the outside painting ?

Ideally, I would like to talk to a couple of shops to gather estimates, and make an educated guess.

Cheers !

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked also a while ago and got no responses. Let me know what you come up with. I did find a guy in redmond, but he likes to only work on aircooled older bugs and busses and he is scheduled out through the summer.

Paul
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is forum member Loogy still here? I believe he worked in a Washington-area body shop.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ribbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering the same thing about body shops. Wolfsburg in Ballard recommended an independent named Brian 877.279.0624. I left a message with his wife, but did not get a reply. It sounds like they use him regularly.

Let us know what you find out. It'll be a toss up which will come first for me - the Zetec or the paint job - both are a couple years down the road.

Terry
wavanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My westy is currently at a shop in Lynnwood. The body work and paint is being done under the supervision of a Westy guru. I'm helping when I can, but work and family are making it hard to be as hands on as I want to be. I will post a full report, don't worry. Very Happy It will be a pic orgy.

In regards to Loogy: He is probably one of the most interesting and informative people to talk to when it comes to auto body and paint. We met up one time and he gave me several tips in regards to paint. He is very knowledgeable and if he recommends someone, you can bet they know what they are doing.
http://wavanagon.googlepages.com

Dirty from working on your Vanagon? Buy soap from my wife!
http://www.teatreesoap.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wavanagon wrote:
My westy is currently at a shop in Lynnwood. The body work and paint is being done under the supervision of a Westy guru. I'm helping when I can, but work and family are making it hard to be as hands on as I want to be. I will post a full report, don't worry. Very Happy It will be a pic orgy.

Thanks ! Will you be able to post details about this shop (like contact info, rating/satisfaction, etc), or is a one time job ?

wavanagon wrote:
In regards to Loogy: He is probably one of the most interesting and informative people to talk to when it comes to auto body and paint. We met up one time and he gave me several tips in regards to paint. He is very knowledgeable and if he recommends someone, you can bet they know what they are doing.

I never met him, I'm hoping that he will see this thread and post come recommendations.

Cheers !

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
jsmitch11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

Reviving this thread as I am looking to get a little body work and a full color change paint job done in the Seattle area. I would appreciate any recommendations. I know of Zoltan( the man in Lynnwood who specializes in Vanagons) and Northwesty does paint. I was all set up to have Zoltan do it but he informed me the vehicle needs to be running/driving for him to do it and mine is a bare shell. I am not really interested in using Northwesty so any other recommendations(especially vanagon specific paint guys!) are great!!! Thanks.

My Van syncro conversion/restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=535730&highlight=black+diamond
camerahunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Tacoma and always ask Brian at smallcar.com about stuff like this. He's a good guy and knows a lot of people and shops.
My first pick if I was going to try someone that paints is Opals. I think they paint but they may not. I know that they completely rebuild the VW's and sell them.
Another place to check is the race car parts stores. Lots of great painters painting the race cars in the area.

Cheers,

David
scottychop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: working on WESTY's only Reply with quote

Jeff at PEACEVANS here in Seattle is awesome. They do mechanical, body, and paint. Fantastic service.

http://peacevans.com/
bstory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: paint in the PNW Reply with quote

It does not see a lot of traffic, but the Franklin VW Werks forum has a paint and body section. Lots of love for Damaon in Oly on there. I have no personal experience with his work however. Have also heard good things about Cameron Johnson at Johnson Fabrication/VolksFab. There is also a paint booth by the hour in Renton that rents by the hour for the ambitious.
Keyport Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be worth your time to at least give Nate a call at Apex Collision Services in Shelton and explain your needs.

http://www.ziplocal.com/page/WA/shelton/apex-collision-services/1-25699434.html

They picked up my van minus windows located over on the Kitsap peninsula in Poulsbo and trailored it down to their shop. Though they do some collision work, their real speciality is their custom work. Like yourself, I also began looking around for a good body shop that would cater to Vanagons. I heard of Apex through our local Mustang chapter and saw some Mustang photos with some rather stunning photographs of their paint jobs. For example, they had a classic old Bentley, a rolls and a 50's Corvette pass through while my van was at their facility. They feature the water-based Sikkens Autowave paint. I got the works from bare metal to almost zero texture on my very flat panels. They welded up by vent since I've gone to an electric fridge, painted pop top, shadyboy along with many interior components and exterior trim. Instead of bedliner around the lower rocker panels, they blended a semi satin black with chip guard which is durable and appealing. Finally I got the 3M clear bra on the nose which they applied. Cost was in the neighborhood of 15K for everything.

Nate's crew also sliced on a Vanagon nose onto my pal's Transporter which had sustained some collision damage. Though he did not get the hot rod paint finish and it still looks extremely good and his costs were less. Photos of it were posted previously and are on their Facebook page along with photos of my van. Finally, Nate allowed both of us to reassemble our vans in their facility after the final rubdowns to save on cost and so they could move onto other projects.

Depending on your needs and your budget, they will work with you to satisfy. They are very thorough so unless you have a collision job that needs to get back on the road quickly they will labor over your van to get it right. My own van was with them for approximately 3 months.
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: working on WESTY's only Reply with quote

scottychop wrote:
Jeff at PEACEVANS here in Seattle is awesome. They do mechanical, body, and paint. Fantastic service.

Met someone whose westy had recently had a peacevans paint job done on it this summer—it was gorgeous. They did a great job on it, and the owner raved about how good they were to deal with.
scottychop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: working on WESTY's only Reply with quote

timichango wrote:
scottychop wrote:

Met someone whose westy had recently had a peacevans paint job done on it this summer—it was gorgeous. They did a great job on it, and the owner raved about how good they were to deal with.

Yup. Jeff is the best. In fact, we just bought a van from him... Razz
Bntbrl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Reviving this thread as I am looking to get a little body work and a full color change paint job done in the Seattle area. I would appreciate any recommendations. I know of Zoltan( the man in Lynnwood who specializes in Vanagons) and Northwesty does paint. I was all set up to have Zoltan do it but he informed me the vehicle needs to be running/driving for him to do it and mine is a bare shell. I am not really interested in using Northwesty so any other recommendations(especially vanagon specific paint guys!) are great!!! Thanks.

I would not let him work on my cars.

www.DIYSeattle.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bntbrl wrote:
Quote:

Zoltan or NorthWesty?
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74cherrybomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any more luck on this thread? I'm also interested in a body/paint place, I'm looking to get my 74 Beetle done. So far on my short list are:
Phil's Autobody (recommended by John Walker Porsche)
Autopia (seem highly regarded on Roadhaus)
a mystery Filipino named Alika (mentioned by a friend and no one seems to have his contact info but apparently he does brilliant work.)

I feel like finding the right shop should be easier than this but of course it's hard to trust anyone with such an important task Smile
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread bump. I'll want to take my Syncro 16 somewhere in ~November for a 1-month spa trip. I'm considering Peace Vans, but also willing to discuss with other shops. I do have rust to deal with as well, in addition to paint.

I wish Dylan was on the Wet Coast, but I doubt I can afford his full makeover services?

I can handle a $15K budget, but i'd want new seals, windows pulled, interior pulled (which will be a beeyatch on the non-standard Reimo interior?), etc. I wouldn't be changing colour (I think), but not sure if that really saves much when you're pulling most of the van apart anyways...

I'd also want 3M chip-guard on the front (had that on my 2wd westy, loved it).

I'm expecting to get what I want, i need to pay $20K Shocked
dreaming_of_traveling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bntbrl wrote:
Quote:

Why not? He's selling a van that I'm thinking of buying.
amigaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bodywork/paint shops recommendations in Seattle ? Reply with quote

and now it's my turn to re-open this thread, it would seem. Looking for a body guy in Seattle, classic conundrum - got my Syncro painted a few years ago and sadly, the passenger side rear quarter - arguably among the most important reasons for doing it - is already starting to bubble again? I've tried to reach out to the painter (he's in Olympia) but no dice - wanted to know if anyone knows of anyone lately? I asked Peace Vans but they don't do body work anymore....doh! just an '87 Syncro tin-top, burgundy in color...

amigaboy
seattle
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bodywork/paint shops recommendations in Seattle ? Reply with quote

I was not comfortable doing it myself till I did a bit of refresh on seam sealer and a rust hole On an easy access area and now, I just think, it's only metal.
Remove the paint you need to, trim back the rusty bits as needed, cut metal to fill or use replacement panels...weld, grind prime, seam seal and body filler skim coat...and paint.
I like painting a little more and color sanding and buffing rather than expecting drip or dust free glossy paint. Orange peel bugs me.
I know it's a ton of work, helps to have good skills with hands on work etc.
But my local body and paint supply shop helped with appropriate, compatible products and that helped a lot. They also did custom mix bomb cans that had catalized paint inside...pop a button on the bottom to release catalyst, shake and you have a few hrs to spray it..
I figured if I was going to do it all I'd just go section by section. Like, front end, rear end than maybe split the sides similar.

Too bad peace vans don't do it now. I might suggest them but I'm a welder and I kinda want my hands in everything related to metal.
🤘🤘🤘
I'm also more concerned about rust than color match or gloss.

Anyway once I did cut/weld a rust hole once it kind of lost the magical mystery. Plus if you don't DIY, there's always a mystery of how the work was actually done. Everyone makes decisions along the way, result value vs time spent. I like to make those choices.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: