Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porcelain Enamel Sign Fest
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says "Original" Kai. Wink
Kais Collection Premium Member
vintage treasures

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
It says "Original" Kai. Wink
LOL

Kai's Collection - vintage treasures
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacco Verveer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kai wrote:
jacco verveer wrote:
first one finally Very Happy

[img]

Pretty cool, but I hope you didn't pay the price of an original for this one, Jacco.. Sad

ahh well another 175,-- down the drain well done Laughing

weird thing is its white first(primer) has small flaws(brushstrokes?) and you can feel the logo and other white on top

does this mean somebody did there best?

i like it butt not still not sure if i want more stupid thing weighs more than my walls can handle Rolling Eyes
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i picked up this one over the weekend
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

kai wrote:
Pretty cool, but I hope you didn't pay the price of an original for this one, Jacco.. Sad

hmmm....i'm not surprised that there are fakes out there but i had no idea that there were for sure. it has me wondering about a couple i have in my collection. it seems the ones that i know have raised areas on the image area. the questionable ones are entirely flat and certainly seem newer and all are in almost perfect condition.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone seen one of these before?

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwovalguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UZI wrote:
anyone seen one of these before?

Yep! Someone's making them along with other car brands on them also....I bought one a couple years ago for a fraction of that price on the auction site!!
It's funny how they throw a couple rocks at it and spray some salt water on it!!! Same as mine Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's a newer fantasy item / reproduction. It is also offered in the inverse color scam, I mean scheme.

Here it is on ebay germany.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Emailschild-VW-SERVICE-15x9...484c17d33a
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They make them for an car company you want. There's a Ford one in my neighbor's garage.
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
They make them for an car company you want. There's a Ford one in my neighbor's garage.

That explains the 1/2" combination wrench. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW, as we know is all sorts of anal about their trademarks and logo. They have had strict specifications back to the 50's about the size and configuration of their logo. For any signs with German text I would expect them to follow the specifications.

Here is an early specification:

The service sign above has a much larger gap between the V and W more like a modern logo. If you look at original older signs the V-W gap is almost always very thin, relative to the size of the logo:

Here are a couple examples of the early thin V-W gap:

Signs that are suspicious to me are the ones with big V-W gaps, odd shapes (like the chevron shaped sign above), and ones that have text overlaying the VW logo. I have yet to see a period photo of a VW sign where VW allowed text or images to come on top or overlay the VW name or logo.

This sign is suspicious to me for several reasons:

1. The large V-W gap.
2. The text overlaying the VW logo.
3. The Dienst font is not consistent with other fonts of the period. The middle leg of the E is high, the N is much wider than the other letters and the S seems compressed.
4. I have never seen this sign in vintage photos on a garage wall.

Any other tips you guys have for determining authenticity of VW signs in general is appreciated.
vwovalguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sign is suspicious to me for several reasons:

1. The large V-W gap.
2. The text overlaying the VW logo.
3. The Dienst font is not consistent with other fonts of the period. The middle leg of the E is high, the N is much wider than the other letters and the S seems compressed.
4. I have never seen this sign in vintage photos on a garage wall.

Any other tips you guys have for determining authenticity of VW signs in general is appreciated.[/quote]

Oh crap!!! I hope not!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacco Verveer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are real enamel just new Wink

it's suprising to me that noboby ever warned about and/or illustrated how to recognise fakes/old ones

1000 euro is a shit lood off money to loose and prices being what they are it could be temting to someone wanting to start a collection
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the specification above, the VW logo is supposed to have a V-W gap of 2.5% of the diameter of the logo. I measure the one in the suspect sign at 4%. The free board around the logo is supposed to be 25% of the logo diameter, it is 17% in the suspect sign.

I looked through a bunch of older literature and could not find any examples where VW put any type of writing over the logo. Let me know if you guys have seen examples.
vwovalguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:

According to the specification above, the VW logo is supposed to have a V-W gap of 2.5% of the diameter of the logo. I measure the one in the suspect sign at 4%. The free board around the logo is supposed to be 25% of the logo diameter, it is 17% in the suspect sign.

I looked through a bunch of older literature and could not find any examples where VW put any type of writing over the logo. Let me know if you guys have seen examples.

I recently bought one from a guy in Holland! I thought it was real. I'm a bit worried now Sad It has a manufactures name on it... Does that help? PM your email and I'll send you a couple pics?

Last edited by vwovalguy on Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no way to tell you if it is real or not. I have seen that version on Ebay Germany a few times over the years, always very nice to perfect condition.

I am not saying it is fake but there are quite a few red flags that make me wonder about its origin. If someone has an old photo, literature or any other evidence that it is old then that may settle it.
vintage treasures

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sign has a wider gap as well:

Does that make it a fake? I think not.

Keep in mind, that this is the '50ies and these signs were produced in different countries, different factories and probably all by hand.

I know VW was anal about details, but times were different back then.

The lines on this VW logo are a lot thinner, but does that make this sign a fake:

The answer is no.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very rare 1955 dated Volkswagen/Porsche/Studebaker-Packard Dealer sign from Belgium, Smile

Enjoy!

Tom
USA RAM Protection/Export Overrider Bumpers - MPH Speedometer -
Sealed Beam Headlights and Bullet Front Turn Signals!
99.9% ORIGINAL PARTS WITH ONLY 36,500 ORIGINAL MILES/ GARAGE FIND/ UNRESTORED CAR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kai wrote:
This sign has a wider gap as well:

Does that make it a fake? I think not.

Keep in mind, that this is the '50ies and these signs were produced in different countries, different factories and probably all by hand.

I know VW was anal about details, but times were different back then.

The lines on this VW logo are a lot thinner, but does that make this sign a fake:

The answer is no.

Hi Kai, I am not saying that the size of the v-w gap determines originality as a standalone test. However, it has been my observation that nearly all early signs have a thinner gap, and all new signs have a big gap. I would say that the gap on the Verkoop sign is medium, not a modern large. It would be interesting to measure the gap and the diameter of the logo to see how it measures up.

The address sign was probably a one-off, and created by the dealer so I wouldn't expect it to have perfect logo dimensions.

The Dienst sign in question is the only generic (non dealer created, "mass" produced) sign I have ever seen where the free board dimension is way off, it has a modern style big gap, text over the logo and distorted text (like you see on signs that were formed from computer artwork, cut and paste).

Have you ever seen another vw sign with text over the vw logo?
vintage treasures

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:

3. The Dienst font is not consistent with other fonts of the period.

Check out this pic. Look at the letter E on all 3 signs, they're all different. And these signs were made in the same country by the same manufacturer. (Langcat in Bussum, Netherlands)

UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kai"]This sign has a wider gap as well:

that gap looks the same as most of the signs i own.

let's do a sidexside comparison here:
sign in question:

real:

comments?

Quote:
Quote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 19

Jump to: