Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Sling Arm?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Javyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Oil Sling Arm? Reply with quote

So I took my bus to a Mech and he told me that my engine was missing an oil sling arm. What the heck is an Oil sling arm, where does it go and how can I find one?

I googled and searched in the forum threads and couldn't find anything!

It is making a fine spray of oil on the back of my bus.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he is pulling your leg. Maybe he was thinking you needed a huge wiper arm on the back to sling the oil off. Take some photos of your engine and under the engine from behind and post them here. Then we can see what is going on. Make sure the engine photos are lit and that it isn't all dark in there.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What engine do you have and how badly is it leaking oil? Need to cleaner her up well and find out where the oil is coming from.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of bus and what kind of engine? And what kind of mechanic?
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawnmower mechanic Laughing It's been a looooong time but I seem to recall that the B&S horizontal shaft engines had an oil slinger for lubrication on the conrod.
Javyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the engine came out of a bug the bus is a 73. I'll ask him again. He has a bus and works on VW's well see what he says when i call him today and I'll get back to you guys.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could he mean the oil slinger on the nose of the crankshaft?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil slinger is usually found in low oil pressure motors. The oil slings off the ring to lubricate the timing chain, fuel pump (if it's mechanical) and main bearings and/or seals.

I'd look for a different mechanic, like yesterday. Obviously the VWAC flat four is not something this guy has torn into, or has basic knowledge of the internals.

Sounds like you need a hub seal, or possibly oil cooler seals - both are common to fail and somewhat easy to replace. Find a local indie VW or euro shop and see if they can do the repair.

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed, but an oil slinger arm is a very specific thing. Arm being the operative term. It was either a "VW's are lawnmowers hurr" joke or this mech actually believed it. Or if he's anything like me the wrong words came out and made him look silly.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe he meant oil slingar mmm. As in a type 1 motor oil slinger. Type 4 motors don't have an oil slinger. Type 1 do. It is a cupped washer that keeps oil from coming out the crankshaft end.
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
maybe he meant oil slingar mmm. As in a type 1 motor oil slinger. Type 4 motors don't have an oil slinger. Type 1 do. It is a cupped washer that keeps oil from coming out the crankshaft end.

Well, I learned, or possibly re-learned something there. Never had to touch the bottom end of a type 4 thankfully.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of interssting but Tom Wilson forgot to mention the oil slinger on T-1's. I think he did it on purpose. To let people know that when they tear their engine apart again they need to learn how important it is to pay attention to every aspect of engine building.
Oil slingers were used on some old engines and also small engine that don't have oil pumps.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that the mechanic meant the oil slinger as well, assuming he is talking about a T1 engine and not a Type 4. Of course he may not know the difference between the two. Assuming the problem is oil leaking out from around the crankshaft on a Type 1 then the problem is probably not the slinger, but oil foaming, high oil level, or something wrong with the crankcase ventilation, as slingers don't wear or disappear suddenly.

Without more info, at least knowing what kind of engine and some general idea of its condition we can only make very wild guesses as to what is wrong.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I would think that the mechanic meant the oil slinger as well, assuming he is talking about a T1 engine and not a Type 4. Of course he may not know the difference between the two. Assuming the problem is oil leaking out from around the crankshaft on a Type 1 then the problem is probably not the slinger, but oil foaming, high oil level, or something wrong with the crankcase ventilation, as slingers don't wear or disappear suddenly.

Without more info, at least knowing what kind of engine and some general idea of its condition we can only make very wild guesses as to what is wrong.

correct - oil blowing out to me means blowby and worn rings. It can also be a drip under the car swirling behind it or even a trans going dry.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would seem to me that if the oil slinger washer were missing, the pulley would go on to the crank too far, and bind against the outside of the case?
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Javyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He didn't ask for any money cause he didn't fix it but he gave me a free tune up. He might have said oil slinger. I'll have to give him a call. I think it is a low pressure engine cause it came out of a bug. I wasn't able to get a hold of him today so i'll try again later.

Also the tins for my engine don't fit correctly so that's another thing I have to take care of. Sorry for not bringing pics yet but they will come.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Would seem to me that if the oil slinger washer were missing, the pulley would go on to the crank too far, and bind against the outside of the case?

I left one out of a 1600 due to some distracting guests in the workshop once (you know, the person with all the time in the world usually spends it with someone who can't spare a minute) with no pulley fit issues after, infact 11 years and counting as a daily driver and still no leaks.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Javyd wrote:
I think it is a low pressure engine cause it came out of a bug. I wasn't able to get a hold of him today so i'll try again later.

The slinger has nothing to do with oil pressure, it is just an earlier technology for keeping the oil mostly within the crankcase. Early seals made for rawhide and other materials were not all the good and even later once rubbers and plastics became available, an oil slinger could in the right circumstances give comparably performance which would not deteriorate with time.
louis-123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

before i rebuilt my 1600, it would spray tiny dots of oil on the back of the bus and inside the engine bay. seemed on and off.
case was disorted, causing low pressure when engine was hot, but i dont know how this would cause oil spraying outside the case...
but i drove that engine thousands of miles like that.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low oil pressure has nothing to do with it except for usually being associated with a worn out engine with lots of blow by.

Mine had a silly little leak problem behind the pulley. Not all pulleys have the same depth of spiral groove so I changed pulleys again and the minor leak continued. So I put in a sand seal. But while doing the seal mod I ran it without the crank pulley and found an impossible to see leak in a weld in my custom pump cover. It was spraying onto the back side of the pulley. Embarassed Embarassed The very first thought was the chance of forgetting the slinger.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: