Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Corvair engine in a Ghia?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
F4u5T
Aircooled Idiot

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Corvair engine in a Ghia? Reply with quote

I just learned that a buddy o mine has a father in law who has a barn full of Corvair engines.
I need a engine for my Ghia roadster, see as it has already been bastardized - I figure why not. Twisted Evil

Ive seen pics of it done, looks like I just need to trim the engine compartment to fit the thing in.

Anyone done it before, Any particular block to look for apparently he has serveral!?

Thanks guys
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a book that's a collection of old Ghia articles. One of them is about a guy that put a Corvair engine in his Ghia back in the 60s as I recall.

-'58 German Market Deluxe Beetle (in progress)
-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
"Buy the best, cry once." -Gene Berg
"A cheap man will always buy the cheapest thing available, and then buys another one hoping for a better result, and then spends the rest of his life in misery complaining about it. A thrifty man will buy a good part once and never think about it again." -RockCrusher
"Don't feed the Shitty Parts Monster!" -Me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Corvair engine in a Ghia? Reply with quote

F4u5T wrote:

Ive seen pics of it done, looks like I just need to trim the engine compartment to fit the thing in.

I think this is quite an understatement.
I've done the Corvair motor in a sandrail and it turned out terrific- reverse cam with a turbo, and it was quite a ride!

Putting one in a Ghia is going to take excellent skills in re-engineering, access to torches, plasma cutter, mig welder, and above average skill level using all of those tools. Even the best of fabrication guys would be challenged to complete this task without it looking like a hack job. The amount of time invested will be huge, with little payback. Once you get it done, it is likely to be worth considerably less than you have invested in it, and considerably less than if it had a Dub motor in it. Being in VA you're going to want heat, and that's on top of everything else.

It's likely to be cheaper to put a Dub motor in it, even if you have to pay retail.

Good Luck!

PS I thought about it for my car, too, and I'm currently building a 2180 with all new parts.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thefabulousnip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the car has already been taken pretty far from stock and you have the skills to make it work, I say go for it. I've always liked the Corvair engines, my dad used to have a Corvair van and that thing was one of the most reliable vehicles he ever had. Google Clark's Corvair. You should be able to find some more information and parts to make it happen. [/code]
scottz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy built 2 Ghias with corvair engines. Both came out very good!! These are sweet cars!!
Do a search for 'Wolf1' in the Ghia gallery there's a link to his build thread. The cars were built with/for his sons. Lucky kids!! Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottz wrote:
This guy built 2 Ghias with corvair engines. Both came out very good!! These are sweet cars!!
Do a search for 'Wolf1' in the Ghia gallery there's a link to his build thread. The cars were built with/for his sons. Lucky kids!! Laughing

As Scott says there's links to the build threads so I've added them here:
http://www.wolfparts.com/alexanders/page_01.htm
http://www.wolfparts.com/robins/page_01.htm

...and as Bruce has said you'll need some high fabrication skills, which if you didn't already know, Wolf has in abundance.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
F4u5T
Aircooled Idiot

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input!
I may pursue it depending on what engines are available, looks pretty killer.
I dont care about heat, I wouldnt have much heat anyway with a dub engine, especially without a roof and I don't consider myself a expert fabricator but I think I can manage, if not Ill learn. The whole point is to get off my butt, and do something

here is a few pics of our last project, and yeah - that where my engine is Twisted Evil

[/img]
Geardo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool bike, not much of a seat you have.
F4u5T
Aircooled Idiot

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

who needs a cushy seat when there is no suspension Laughing
nikita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Corvair engine in a Ghia? Reply with quote

F4u5T wrote:
I just learned that a buddy o mine has a father in law who has a barn full of Corvair engines.
I need a engine for my Ghia roadster, see as it has already been bastardized - I figure why not. Twisted Evil

Anyone done it before, Any particular block to look for apparently he has serveral!?

Thanks guys

You want a 1965-1969 block as a starting point. I'll look up the codes and post them here later. The best heads are non-turbo without smog control.

Instead of making it reverse rotation, can you flip the ring gear in your transaxle? The tranny should be rebuilt to handle the extra torque anyway.

The engine is a lot heavier than a VW, but there is a way to make it a little lighter and more powerful at the same time, use 94mm VW pistons and cylinders. You go from 2700cc stock to 3100cc and due to the thinner iron, save weight. Converting the rods is the hardest part.
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Corvair engine in a Ghia? Reply with quote

I have several corvair to vw adapters if you are interested.
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
F4u5T
Aircooled Idiot

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Corvair engine in a Ghia? Reply with quote

Teeroy wrote:
I have several corvair to vw adapters if you are interested.

yeah, sure!

How much?
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy That's what we like...another juicy project taking shape.

Don't forget, lots of good pictures and regular updates keep these good Ghia folks happy. Wink
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58lolight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pic of a Corvair motor mocked up in one of my 56 Ghia's....Car on the left... Try to stay swing and flip the ring gear rather than the crank especially with a good running motor.

I have since changed my mind and sold the motor. Car may be gone in a couple of weeks as well. Fit very well but you have to cut off the oil filter mount and use a remote filter to clear the engine lid.

Good luck and please post pics..

Rich
crazee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Corvair engine in a Ghia? Reply with quote

F4u5T wrote:

Thanks guys

I actually put a Corvair engine in my 65 Bug back in the mid-70's.

Nice............EXCEPT-------> Corvair engines LEAK OIL LIKE HELL!.......it's a design flaw.
I took mine out because you could never "permanently" stop the bitch from leaking.

That said..............best Corvair engine would be the Spyder 2+2 version.

Smile

I think a built VW engine or Porsche engine would be a better choice though.

IMHO

But if it's free.......or cheap & ya wanna play. I had fun with it.
Smile
F4u5T
Aircooled Idiot

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Corvair engine in a Ghia? Reply with quote

crazee wrote:

yeah, I guess your right
Now, Who was that guy that wanted to give me a Porsche engine? Rolling Eyes

Im just playin, Thanks for the tip on the oil leak.
Ill keep that in mind
slafa
Samba Member

Location: Where getting a real beer is like winning the lotto

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

58lolight wrote:
Here is a pic of a Corvair motor mocked up in one of my 56 Ghia's....Car on the left... Try to stay swing and flip the ring gear rather than the crank especially with a good running motor.

I have since changed my mind and sold the motor. Car may be gone in a couple of weeks as well. Fit very well but you have to cut off the oil filter mount and use a remote filter to clear the engine lid.

Good luck and please post pics..

Rich

It looks like you don't touch a Ghia unless it's a lowlight, is that the case? Wink
1983 Ford 350 Econoline Ambulance
1997 Mercedes S500 W140
1976 BMW 75/6 bike
various Honda, GMC daily drivers
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Corvair engine in a Ghia? Reply with quote

crazee wrote:

Nice............EXCEPT-------> Corvair engines LEAK OIL LIKE HELL!.......it's a design flaw.
I took mine out because you could never "permanently" stop the bitch from leaking.

I don't agree with that at all. There's no design flaw in a Vair engine, actually, they're designed better than VW's as far as oil leaks go. The case halves do not seal against each other like a 'Dub does, rather there is a pan or cover on all four sides of the case junction (top- fan bearing cover, rear cover, front cover, oil pan) and the pushrod tube seals are easy to change. I've never seen a cracked case in a Vair, and they seem to hold up to higher HP and turbocharging better. I've had both, and ran them hard with no leaks.

What "design flaw" do you see in a Vair? How many have you overhauled?

I actually like the Vair better than the Dub, as far as engineering goes. I'm not fond of the fan belt design, but as far as base engine goes, they are well built. At least Chevy put an oil filter and rear seal on them, and didn't underpower them like the Dub is.

PS I suggest against flipping the ring gear. It runs the tranny backwards and breaks a thrust clip because it's not built to run that way. I suggest a reverse camshaft which works out very nicely.

Good Luck!
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Corvair engine in a Ghia? Reply with quote

crazee wrote:
F4u5T wrote:

Thanks guys

I actually put a Corvair engine in my 65 Bug back in the mid-70's.

That said..............best Corvair engine would be the Spyder 2+2 version.

Smile

IMHO

But if it's free.......or cheap & ya wanna play. I had fun with it.
Smile

Your information is dated with respect to Corvair engines leaking oil. While it may have been true 30+ years ago, it is no longer the case. Corvair engines did have a design flaw in that the gaskets and o rings used were not adequate. This was the cause for most leaks experienced by Corvair owners. As a result, the cars gained a reputation for oil leaks.

In any event you can obtain products today that correct the problem such as this:

http://www.corvairunderground.com/shop/b_section/gasket_kits/oring.htm

Corvair engines and Corvair cars were well engineered. Remember, the Corvair engine was the first 6 cylinder AC engine installed in a car from the factory.

I personally do not see the purpose in trying to retrofit a Corvair engine in a Ghia. If you want Corvair performance why not just buy a Corvair? They are one of the few vintage cars that can still be purchased at a reasonable price. But if that is what you want, then go for it...
F4u5T
Aircooled Idiot

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just exploring ideas...

just found a "running" 1600 w/ autostick trans + rear half of a bug Laughing
for $150. apparently some girl ran it into a brick wall and her dad just cut off the rear end and scraped the rest - he is tired of looking at it Wink
Sooo, dont think I can pass it up

heck I can even make a love chair for my wife with the bug rear-end Laughing

Thanks everyone for the input, If anyone has a use for a Corvair engine let me know seems there are 3 completes left
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: