Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Yeah, we definitely approve of your new wheel treatments. It is a good thing you didn't buy a "1500 Club" car & couldn't modify Anything on it! Wink

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Thanks Mike- Yeah-- original is not the word for this Type 3... Rolling Eyes Cool But I am going for a cohesive theme with an era-appropriate style. The newest addition is the red cloth fabric for the lower door panels-- tired of the plain wood for the whole door and original panels for a '64 seem to be rare and expensive.

Parting shot for now... just some seat work is left at this point (and the apron repair down the road)

itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

I thought that this looked cool.

Maybe, I didn't read the whole thread (sorry) but if you're looking for a name for this beasty, howabout:

Der Weg?

After all, El Camino is Spanish for the way (masculine)

Der Weg would be that auf Deutsch, if I remember correctly.

Kyle
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Dude I think you're done. I mean what else? Lower it, raise it? Put a suby in it? Laughing

Just do the gravel guards, full circle horn ring and towel bars then call it good Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Dude I think you're done. I mean what else? Lower it, raise it? Put a suby in it? Laughing

Just do the gravel guards, full circle horn ring and towel bars then call it good Cool

Thanks!

The last few months have been about doing the things I wanted to do several years ago. Back then, I just wanted to get it driving! Now, that I've decided to keep it--- these little additions feel nice.

It does feel (pretty much Rolling Eyes ) done to me too....

Not really wanting to lower it (or raise) though I have thought about it. The engine is an OK runner but someday will need a re-build or replacement. Some safety (seat stuff) needs attention. BUT The "Look" is right about where I want to be...

The wrinkled metal above the rear bumper annoys me and That will be tackled before summer but that will just be blended in not super noticeable.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Looks sweet. See you at the next show.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

It's been a number of years that this apron has been bothering me. I have started the delicate process of repairing the damage. I thought about just straightening out the existing panels--- but it is rough. Like a wrinkled bag and rust holes. The back side access is tricky on these so I opted for replacement metal instead. I think careful removal of the entire panel (just the outer skin) will work with drilling out the spot welds.

Here's what I did today: Remove bumper, Tailgate, both rear fenders. Should be do-able Exclamation

Here's the replacement metal:

While it is apart, I will also swap out a better fender and prep for better paint Shocked

dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

The apron work continues....

Got the old metal removed and the inner ducting cleaned up:

Trimmed the replacement metal a bit and couldn't resist a bit of customizing Rolling Eyes

More minor rust to tackle--- re-work the hinge area and hopefully weld the new metal in later today.... Smile
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

OK -

The rear apron is all welded in...many hours of difficult work.

The lessons learned: aligning FOUR panels (tail-gate, both fenders and the apron) after replacing accident damage is tricky Exclamation

Spot weld drill bits make easy holes in fingers Shocked

Paint does weird stuff if the conditions aren't optimal (heat/humidity/top-coat time)

I'm overall pleased with the result...

RE assembly will involve paint work and fender work not to mention a new muffler Cool
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Nice work dc. When I welded my rear apron on, I made sure to seam seal the inside where the welds were. It was a pain to reach thru the air duct in the engine bay but I also have the sides opened up so I could reach in the there and seal up the weld. Look forward to seeing the end results.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Like putting a 3-D puzzle together Exclamation

I used good Weld-Thru Copper Primer top cover tough spots and also did the "reach-through" side vents and even through the bellows area to properly work on the back side of the apron attachment points--- what a pain Rolling Eyes Good thing I have skinny arms...

gonna bust out the Bondo next.... Laughing
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Got the hinge area nice and pretty - got welds ground down and a light skim of Bondo on the seams. Here's the first coat of primer... a few flaws and some wavy areas that will be covered by the bumper. Works for me! Tomorrow I will sand and prime and sand and prime and sand and seal and top coat.... Confused

MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

dc wrote:
Got the hinge area nice and pretty - got welds ground down and a light skim of Bondo on the seams. Here's the first coat of primer... a few flaws and some wavy areas that will be covered by the bumper. Works for me! Tomorrow I will sand and prime and sand and prime and sand and seal and top coat.... Confused

Nice going dc. Razz
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Trying a color change Shocked

Here's a couple coats of B L A C K on the the tail-gate and new apron... currently re-working and refining the rear fenders for paint prep.

MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

I like where you're going with it dc. Keep at it!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Made my own apron - welting - seals . I will mount them with a touch of glue to the fenders when it is re-assembled....

In the meantime, I got the rear fenders painted. Next up is the bed-sides above the rear fenders.
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Just about have all of the trim, emblems, handles, chrome, etc. off the type 3 truck Shocked Did some prep work to get the hood fitting better... planning my next moves. Wink

dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

More body-paint progress Smile Lots of smoothing/painting and prep work to the cab area of the truck to get it to this point. Going with a two-tone almond white on top and black below. I think this will give it a nice retro truck look.

It's a reasonable close match to the safari frame and the same paint as the wheels...

The overall plan is two coats of base by me and then professionally applied clear Cool
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Decided to make a change with the seats. The '67 Low-backs that were in there were in bad shape-- ripped, bad springs, loose in the tracks. etc.

Also, if you remember, there is the issue of the safari window sliders near the back of the driver and passenger's heads at certain settings Shocked

So...I've been debating and hunting around for a while. Settled on some decent Mercedes seats: Tan vinyl leatherette with pleats and headrests- out of a big old Diesel Sedan from 1985, not sure what model. I think they are just vintage enough to still look OK Rolling Eyes As much as I like the look of low-backs and my general dis-taste for high-backs, I felt like it had to be done. They are comfortable and likely much safer.

I re-used the VW bases and they are securely attached. Hoo-ray, one more item off the list.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Page 66 of 84

Jump to: