Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

dc. I put nutserts in the floor and used a stainless steel hinge. The strips of aluminum are threaded into the engine cover. My engine cover is 1/8th aluminum.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The floor is wine barrel wood, milled down, tongue and grooved.
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Peter - thank you- that helps Exclamation

Eyetzr- beautiful custom wood--- i understand why you went with a custom metal lid under the wood.

I suspected the tabs were left off on the panel---- that makes the engine lid another unique part Cool I'll have to see how to modify mine without messing it up too much.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Thanks for the props. I had hacked my floor way back and had the carbs through the floor. I did close in the floor hole a bit and fabricated a new 'stock' engine cover. The plan for my car was my idea of a fancy panel van.
I was going to go the truck route, but found Aaron and his panel. I. Do have someone in my hood with a 72 truck. I told him to check your build.
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Cool Exclamation

Hey- what did you do for the metal rails? Did you find them or make them?
I was thinking 1" aluminum, they are not the same profile...
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

I found some local aluminum extruder that had some. I looked at 1" & 3/4". I found the 3/4" looked simpler(?) and less fussy. I ground the ends on an angle & drilled & countersunk the screws in.
Just google aluminum extrusions & you will find something. Good luck
Peters Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

the metal strips on the original panelvans are zinc coated.
they are the same as the strips found on the floor and back of the rear seat in some early 60s station wagons. both ford and gm had them here in australia.
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Making some progress on the bed wood... this is fun but slow going Exclamation

Got the lid mostly there-- just needs some sanding on the edges for perfect gaps. The rails are cut and now need to be finished (rounded edges and tapered holes drilled). After it's all mocked up, I will take it apart and stain and seal it. etc. before final assembly Smile

Also got a panel installed in the tail-gate--- will do the same with the sides of the load area/bed. The rust will be treated,etc when the wood is out being stained and sealed...the beat goes on
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

dc, your panels look awesome. Look forward to seeing the stain bring the panels to life. That grain is going to look amazing. What are your plans for the wheel well humps?
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Thanks--working with wood is a fun shift from metal Smile

The wheel well humps are pretty beat up- I think will clean them up and paint but not repair or reshape- maybe just cover them with a second skin of some sort... got any ideas?
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Wow looks great. The wheel wells could be smoothed over with filler & wrapped in water-resistant vinyl, or smooth out & use some spray on bed liner, it is after all a "bed". Nice work
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

dc wrote:
Thanks--working with wood is a fun shift from metal Smile

The wheel well humps are pretty beat up- I think will clean them up and paint but not repair or reshape- maybe just cover them with a second skin of some sort... got any ideas?

I was going to suggest clean the metal up and spray it with some undercoating or the like. As Eyetzr mentioned it is a bed. You could coat the sides thick and thin out application underneath the wood for some added protection. Just a though. Either some roll-on or spray. I wouldn’t worry too much on dents there as it is a truck bed and blacked out would offer a nice contrast to the stained wood when finished. Whatever you decide, I look forward to seeing it. I know you’ve put a lot of time and effort into getting that engine lid square away. Would have been nice to have the grain going the same way as the bed. Cool
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Yeah- The grain going the wrong way bugs me a bit Confused It wasn't an accident just couldn't find any 1/4" pieces that were wide enough to lay in that direction... It wouldn't be too hard to cut out another piece if it is too annoying to live with.

Now I'm trying to get those mounting holes drilled--- I've practiced on scrap pieces and it's not easy to get the holes nice and clean with a simple hand drill. May have to take them to my local machine shop.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

I guess by mounting holes you mean the aluminum strips? I used a hand drill & drilled the holes, then used a countersink to recess the holes.
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

dc wrote:
Yeah- The grain going the wrong way bugs me a bit Confused It wasn't an accident just couldn't find any 1/4" pieces that were wide enough to lay in that direction... It wouldn't be too hard to cut out another piece if it is too annoying to live with.

Now I'm trying to get those mounting holes drilled--- I've practiced on scrap pieces and it's not easy to get the holes nice and clean with a simple hand drill. May have to take them to my local machine shop.

Either way, it's going to look beautiful when done. Cool
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Got the holes drilled after finding the proper countersink bit. The lid rails are secured with nuts and bolts - just about all the other holes will use screws (they are just sitting there in the picture).

Now, I have to take it all apart, restore the bed metal, prep the wood AND THEN put it all back together. Whew Exclamation

Peters Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

nice work there..........
might have to get you to do mine for me as im busy with a bathroom reno at the moment........ not much time for the panelvan..........

how did you go with the engine lid ????? did you cut the tabs off ?????
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Yep-

Cut the tabs--- I'll show you some pictures when I get it apart to paint. My lid is not in good shape - rust here and there- but I think it will be ok with some more attention Smile
Peters Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

engine lids should be easy to find i would imagine ...........
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Getting closer on the bed restoration:

Strip:

Sand and add rails and tabs to mount side panels:

Two coats of RustBullet (love that stuff):

More work to go....BlackShell topcoat... 72 hours of cure, fabricate and intstall side panels. Then, finally, the wood floor will go in. Maybe by the end of the weekend Cool
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Looking goog man looking good. That truck has come a long way since the last time I saw it in person (2012 Invasion). Nice job. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Page 70 of 84

Jump to: