Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36hp Land Speed Challenge - In a bus, sponsors on board
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unkl Ian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you guys don't mess around.
What motor class are you planning on ?

splitpile wrote:
We are looking for more sponsers, so far we have;

1. DPR Crankshafts, custom stroker crank, full balance
2. Geoff Hart Performance Engines, moral support, head machine work/valve job, dyno time and just damn good ideas
3. Old Speed, suspension components
4. Head porter (it's a secret)
5. Bustoration.com, the bus, labor and many parts
6. WEB Camshafts, custom ground camshaft
7. A1 Headers, custom A1 header
8. OLLIES Machine, case work, rocker arm/valve train help, manifolds work
9. Sunkist Graphics Inc - Henderson, NV, truck wrap

The project is moving along
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unkl Ian wrote:
Wow, you guys don't mess around.
What motor class are you planning on ?

splitpile wrote:

2. Geoff Hart Performance Engines, moral support, head machine work/valve job, dyno time and just damn good ideas

You answered your own question a page back.
"DSS (Dual Super Stock)-Pre 1965 period style dual carburetor and non-28PCI single carburetor systems only,
fitted to modified stock VW 36hp cylinder heads or period aftermarket 36hp dual port cylinder heads(or replicas)!
Requires any Bosch distributor and coil. Dual spark plug conversions O.K.. No displacement, camshaft or header limitations."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Any Year Bus? Reply with quote

Beetle bodies did not change appreciably over the years, nor did Ghias and early Type 2's. The bay window buses however, are substantially more aerodynamic than a split window. And besides, we have to draw a line somewhere. Like the later buses, we have not included Type 3's simply because they never came equipped with the 36hp motor.

You can still acquire a Bug, Ghia or pre-67 Bus and join us. There are still thousands out their looking for a good home.

May the Speed be with you...............

Burly
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Any Year Bus? Reply with quote

36hplandspeedracer wrote:
Beetle bodies did not change appreciably over the years, nor did Ghias and early Type 2's. The bay window buses however, are substantially more aerodynamic than a split window. And besides, we have to draw a line somewhere. Like the later buses, we have not included Type 3's simply because they never came equipped with the 36hp motor.

You can still acquire a Bug, Ghia or pre-67 Bus and join us. There are still thousands out their looking for a good home.

May the Speed be with you...............

Burly

I understand the reasoning. I just figured it may be possible and would be fun. The type 3 engine is pancake, so that would never work. Super Beetles never came with a 36hp either and they are included so I figured it was worth asking anyway. I like doing things different. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you are thinking 36hp Challenge. And yes, it's a ball..............

Burly
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a dry sump legal for DSS class engines?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: Dry sump legal? Reply with quote

A dry sump oil system would pass the"guidelines" if fabricated from components available prior to 1965 since it could contribute to improved performance. A "full flow" oil system modification is acceptable since it only contributes to improved engine life, not performance.

Burly
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Dry sump legal? Reply with quote

A dry sump oil system would pass the"guidelines" if fabricated from components available prior to 1965 since it could contribute to improved performance.
Burly

would stock gears keyed onto an extended shaft and fitted into a modified stock body in the engine case with a fabricated body/s for the outer half be classed as available in '65? aka 1/3 stock parts and 2/3 custom?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it simple and have fun at low cost. One of the main objects of the 36hp Challenge is to keep things within the realm of what was realistically possible when the 36hp engine were new.

Creating a dry sump system that was not available in 65 would bump the car into the NA36 or New Age category where you are encouraged to expand your horizons(within $ reason).

Select your class and build to the guidelines, but most of all, have fun within the "spirit" of the rules.

Burly
Unkl Ian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it simple and have fun at low cost.

One of the main objects of the 36hp Challenge is
to keep things within the realm of what was
realistically possible when the 36hp engine were new.

THAT is probably the best description of
"Spirit of the Competition" I've seen yet.
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitpile wrote:

10. Glory-hole-racing vintage oil filter kit
http://oldspeed-register.blogspot.com/

We would like to thank " glory-hole-racing" for coming on board and donating one of their awesome vintage oil filter kits to the project http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=630460
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitpile wrote:
splitpile wrote:

10. Glory-hole-racing vintage oil filter kit
http://oldspeed-register.blogspot.com/

We would like to thank " glory-hole-racing" for coming on board and donating one of their awesome vintage oil filter kits to the project http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=630460

Ah, excuse me if I'm getting the wrong impression with this steady parade of commercial sponsorship. How is this in keeping with "The Spirit of the Competition"??
Quote:
Keep it simple and have fun at low cost.

Sounds like commercial self promotion at other people's expense. Confused
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say folks, it's not the spirit of the competition, it's the "Spirit of the Challenge". And thats a whole different attitude. We all have a great time while still trying to make the little 36ers go fast.

Burly
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me throwing sponsors money and resources at the challenge is no challenge at all.

What I understood the 36hp Challenge to be, was to create a class where the average Joe can take part in what used to be the domain of the wealthy and the connected. This is intended to be affordable speed trials without the need for corporate sponsorship.

...or am I living in cloud cuckoo land?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
It seems to me throwing sponsors money and resources at the challenge is no challenge at all.

What I understood the 36hp Challenge to be, was to create a class where the average Joe can take part in what used to be the domain of the wealthy and the connected. This is intended to be affordable speed trials without the need for corporate sponsorship.

...or am I living in cloud cuckoo land?

You aren't. Sponsorship seems way over the top in this challenge.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sponsership is a way of getting it done, promoting the shops that are willing to do the work and provide the parts needed to build an engine and/or car. If these people weren't willing to do the work on these engines and if people didn't know they exist less people would get involved, less products would come to market.\

I'm going to build a 36 hp engine, what machine shop does work, where can I get a crank, where can I get a cam, I need an oil canister where can I get it, can anybody dyno my engine. I don't see anything wrong with listing the people that are helping me. I am still paying for work. I think the whiners miss the issue.

I got interested in this when building the Judson engine, spent numerous hours looking for resources to complete this engine, spent 1000's of dollars building it, locating parts, machine work, etc. As we are aware building a 36 hp engine isn't CHEAP

John I know you have a "resource page" but half of those people are either gone , bad contact info, etc.

I know I'm a NEWBE in this 36 hp stuff, but I like it. I am doing nothing different then blackline with the unlimited resources they have building their engine, look at their thread.

This thread is about me and my friends building an engine and a bus to attempt a land speed record. If I can get help I'm going to take it. If I can promote the hobby I'm going to do it. Where I have lost the "spirit of the challange", I'm just talking about it in MY thread and going in the DSS class "duel super stock" not a stock engine by any means.

ps. I have had many people offer to help in this endevor from the "36 crowd" it must not be that far from the spirit of it then.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not alone is spending a large amount of money on their hobby.

If you have a look at The 36hp Land Speed Challenge Sticky in this section you'll find many people, who over several years, are actively engaged in building their engine, using their own skills, with similar resources you're using but without the need for entensive sponsorship.

They are, as I've said your average Joe, who are committed to the challenge...for the fun of it. They're working on a tight budget within what is affordable to them.

What you have to realise is that there are also many here who contribute to this forum and conduct a VW based business without the need to call attention to the fact.

This challenge is just that, not an advertising opportunity.

PS If you visit my website you will find all the recommended resources, active.
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
You're not alone is spending a large amount of money on their hobby.

If you have a look at The 36hp Land Speed Challenge Sticky in this section you'll find many people, who over several years, are actively engaged in building their engine, using their own skills, with similar resources you're using but without the need for entensive sponsorship.

They are, as I've said your average Joe, who are committed to the challenge...for the fun of it. They're working on a tight budget within what is affordable to them.

What you have to realise is that there are also many here who contribute to this forum and conduct a VW based business without the need to call attention to the fact.

This challenge is just that, not an advertising opportunity.

PS If you visit my website you will find all the recommended resources, active.

I do not see how this will benefit my business as I do not sell any of the products from who I am getting help, I am putting out tons of cash and time. I can now see why Jake Raby dropped out of this. There are many resources NOT listed on your website
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitpile wrote:

I do not see how this will benefit my business as I do not sell any of the products from who I am getting help, I am putting out tons of cash and time. I can now see why Jake Raby dropped out of this. There are many resources NOT listed on your website

...I don't believe you can't see how taking part would benefit your business. Shocked

...my website doesn't list all Judson resources, just the ones I can personally recommend.
Roadcow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this is just becoming a pissing match. I think the Spirit of the challenge is always here in the Stock class. I'm building on a budget and am reaping benefits from those who are ( Like Splitpile and Blackline) doing some serious development work on their SSS or DSS engines. It does take money to go fast in any form of racing, that's a fact. Also how many people have the knowledge and expertise such as Tom and Bruce, they are an elete group which lucky for me are willing to share their knowledge with the rest of us.
I think you'll see the money being spent on the non stock engine where the people are doing some serious R&D work which costs. Yes I am a freind of Ronnies and have been lucky enough to meet most of the 36Hp challengers, I consider myself a lucky guy for doing so. John I have read your posts and thank you for sharing your wisdom, and would invite you over to the Salt to join in on the fun. It would be great to meet you. The one thing I've noticed on this forum is that the racers seem to all get along, and I enjoy that.
66 Ghia Bonneville 2014
74 Ghia Vert
69 Bonneville Ghia 150 in Chico
69 Bonneville Ghia in Ireland
80 Cabby 2.1 16v
98 Passat
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: