Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Volkswagen factory supplied tool kits
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:39 am    Post subject: VW Tool Kits Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was dead certain this tool pouch was original to my '62. Now, I'm not so sure. The material looks like the later 60's seat covers if that's where the material came from.

Purchased the car in '94 from the original owners. Car is L-87 Pearl White and had still the original vinyl brick red seat covers when I bought it.

Opinions please
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, sorry.
Later material and later design.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Nope, sorry.

Thanks House. That clears things up. I'm assuming any cloth bag would be ok for a '62 with vinyl seats.

I like the roll with pockets better anyway.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wood screwdriver seen there is not VW-issue.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Volkswagen Tools Reply with quote

Quote:
The wood screwdriver seen there is not VW-issue

Thanks Everett. I don't think I've ever examined it as this pouch is not used anyway. I do have the pliers which I use.
MargaritaVillain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

House wrote:
Nope, sorry.

It seems nobody has the right bag for their year. Maybe we should all get together and swap until we all have the correct one. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: tool kit items Reply with quote

just checked in on the tool kit forum replies and found a good one! the comment was about the 'appearance' of the hub cap puller-a wire loop with hooked ends. forum contributor says it came out in 1960(thanks ken-good point!). i checked and sure as rain and taxes-there it was-first listing for this item was 1960. if so-what were the two sets of holes for-just water drainage? although 'on paper' it shows it making its debut in 1960-is it possible its low value-probably .02 pfenning-it was just not listed? usually when i have found an early complete kit-i get real excited to see the hub cap puller is still there-meaning nothing has been lost! open for comment that maybe others have noticed these in early-'unmolested' kits. glad to see the toolroll/toolbag topic take off-what a nightmare-that needs way more comments and contributions!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Buses, the hub cap removal tool appears to have been added as of the May, 1959 owner's manual.

From reading the Bus manuals, the 5/59 manual is also the beginning where they mention using the tool in the tire changing portion of the text.
From August, 1958, page 38:
"Remove hub cap"
From May, 1959, page 39:
"Remove hub cap by means of hub cap removal tool"

I always thought the holes were for drainage and the tool just used them as a convenience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: original factory tool kit toolroll material Reply with quote

the topic of original tool kit toolroll material supplied by the factory has really not been refined. there are those that believe it was matched to the car seat or panel material.(this certainly looks nicer at a car show). there are those that say it was not matched(i tend to believe this). when was it vinyl or cloth? was it sewn at this point or heat seamed? how many pockets per end? this is an exhautive study-it would take a a roomfull of the most fanatic volkswagen restoration nuts and half the original vw factory engineers to come up with the definative answer. but has anyone ever noticed that most of the split and especially the early bus have a green-military looking duck canvas toolroll? i don't think i have seen this used on any seat or panel in any vw. (yes-there is one-the kubel and schwimwagens) even the canvas 'tent' for the single and crewcabs that i have seen is a heavier offwhite 'duck canvas'. where does the green material come in? what have you noticed?
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the tool roll material was matched to the car's upholstery. It seems to have been random. Similarly, you can often find scraps of mismatched upholstery vinyl used for various purposes behind interior panels.

The green canvas tool bags were still used well into the 1960s. A low-mileage '65 Squareback I used to own came with one and I am certain it was original to the car.

2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: original factory tool kit toolroll material Reply with quote

oldvdub wrote:
the topic of original tool kit toolroll material supplied by the factory has really not been refined. there are those that believe it was matched to the car seat or panel material.(this certainly looks nicer at a car show). there are those that say it was not matched(i tend to believe this).

It absolutely was not matched in all cases. My '63 Bus does match but I have seen other Buses from the same year with original tool kits that had the "other" material. For instance 63 Deluxes had either a green or light grey vinyl interior. My green Bus had a green tool roll but I've seen a light grey tool roll come out of another green Deluxe. Both were original kits.
My Bus kit
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=599067

From what I have seen, Commercial Buses had tool bags that matched, at least through 1962. Black and then dark grey.

oldvdub wrote:
when was it vinyl or cloth?

Varies and some years had both available depending on ? (random I assume). I have a tool kit from the original family of a '64 Bug. It's cross-hatch cloth. I don't know if this Beetle had cloth seats originally.
'64 Bug kit
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=430319

oldvdub wrote:
but has anyone ever noticed that most of the split and especially the early bus have a green-military looking duck canvas toolroll?... where does the green material come in? what have you noticed?

I have seen it on early Type 3s at the latest. My '63 Squareback and ex-'63 Notchback both have the original green canvas bags. I'm not sure why Type 3s as Buses/Bugs of that era typically have vinyl. I have seen other Type 3s from the same time frame with vinyl tool kits.
My '63 Squareback kit:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=286051

The later cars (66-up?) all seem to have the smaller vinyl bags.

The only way to know what came with a particular month/year vehicle would be to do a survey of people who have the original tool kits. I have found even the owner's manuals are incorrect sometimes as to what was included. They are a good starting guide but if you have a car that was produced around the time of a tool kit change, the owner's manuals were sometimes not updated for a year in some cases.
bugcollections
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: tools Reply with quote

In 1956 I bought a new VW. Now, that makes me old and prone to memory lapses, but I would almost swear that the tool kit that came with it had the large round hub cap removal tool. I had therefore always assumed that they had been around much longer than the consensus on this forum which tends to indicate that no hub cap removal tool was included until around 1960.
oldvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: tool kit chat Reply with quote

i'll be dammed...somone older than me in the hobby! you say you bought your first vw in 1956....me too-mine was made by dinky toys-i still have it!
zundapp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going through some parts boxes the other day and came across some tool roll pouches that I'd had for a while. I thought I would clean one up and use it in my 62 beryl green beetle. I took the best one and sprayed it down with some citrus cleaner and man that thing came back nice. It was so dirty I had no idea what color it was. What's really cool is that turned out to be made from "77 soft beige" upholstery which is original in beryl green cars.

I cobbled together a kit of tools and I think I am only missing the small screwdriver. The pliers are not Hazet but "Monitor Sweden". They are vintage and look the part. They'll do until I find a pair of Hazets.

My question is, what is the little 14mm socket meant for? There must be an important use for it to be included in the kit. Here it is.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevhum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

came across this tool roll today.Looks like Zwitter or late split bug seat type material .The gen wrench doesn't lay flat.Hubcap puller,pliers and one wrench missing.
Antonio Trejo
VW Parts Dealer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW of Mexico late Sedan (1993-2004) tool kit:

- Vinyl bag with VW White color logo printed.
- Wrench (made in Germany by Foygelb - DIN)
- Wrench for spark plugs
- Wrench for wheel bolts
- Rod
- Tommy bar for socket wrench
- Removal tool (hook)
- Screwdriver for slotted and Phillips head screws (reversible, made in Germany)
Genuine VW Ultima Edition parts
Genuine VW Type 2 watercooled parts
noheb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: 1951 Split tool roll and jack bag Reply with quote

Here's my type 1 split tool roll (and jack bag):

More pictures are in the gallery.
Ken.
noheb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Zwitter and 1953 (early oval) fishbone tool bag with tools Reply with quote

Zwitter and 1953 tool bag:
Wrench is now 8x12mm.

Ken.
noheb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Zwitter and early oval green tool roll bag with tools Reply with quote

Zwitter and early oval green tool roll bag.
The bag has five pockets in the right side, only one pocket in the left side.
A split tool bag has two pockets in the left side and is a litttle smaller.

Ken.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: