Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Owner - 81 aircooled Vanagon - Vacuum problem?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yellow Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah memories! I purchased an 81 aircooled Vanagon last year and had some of the same vacuum lines unplugged. Vacuum leaks are very bad for the air cooled engine so make sure you get them all. You should also change your fuel lines unless you like engine BBQ's. Mine looked great on the outside but were quite cracked on the inside layer. Also you should probably replace the the fuel injector gaskets. Mine were in terrible shape but you can't tell unless you pull the injectors off. Good luck!
Themasterof42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New fuel lines are one the way! Smile

But fuel injector gaskets? How can I tell if mine aren't in good shape?
Themasterof42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=311198261A

this wouldn't be what you mean by fuel injector gaskets would it?
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes..thems the ones. Each injector gets a large one and a small one hence the reason for eight of them
Yellow Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. The large ones actually just hold the injector in place and smaller ones seal the inner nozzle area from the outside air. While your injectors are out, you may want to send them for a professional cleaning to a place like WitchHunter Performance. I sent mine in and 3 out of 4 of my injectors were in such good shape that cleaning was not really needed, but the 4th was found to be broken and leaking. They use their own seals so you won't need to buy them separately if you decide to get them cleaned.
Themasterof42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much does that typically cost? I see on bus depot they have some you can just buy for like 35$ each plus core charge. Would it be more worthwhile to just get the re manufactured ones (I'm guessing not since they probably are a different brand or something and not as good)
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is typically $16-18 per injector plus shipping. I think I spent close to $80 total for mine this past January.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another similar option is www.cruzinpermance.com They give you a nice "before" and "after" testing report.

About the same price to have it done and they come back with new injecotor seals and hoses.

Money well spent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Themasterof42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fuel line replacement kit just showed up from van-cafe! Seems it comes with the fuel injector seals!

Does anyone have any advice on changing these lines. I know I have two different sizes of hose (one shorter wider hose and one really lone hose) Where am I supposed to use the fatty hose? Anyone have any pictures or anything? I'm waiting for my bus depot order to arrive before I really change anything out (getting new filters and stuff)

(kit I bought - http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_499_1323/fuel_line_replacement_kit.html)
jimeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: PCV valve Reply with quote

I've been working on the vacuum leaks on my 82 AC Westy - and I'm now checking out the PCV valve. There are no emissions testing in my county.

PCV valve

Is it necessary for the diaphragm to function?
How do I check it?
Should the o ring seal into the crankcase pipe be air tight? It is currently very loose - worn o ring I'm assuming.
In this thread reluctanartist sealed the port in the top of the valve - because he said the diaphragm had failed. Should I do this if it is the case mine is bad?

Thanks
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up cutting mine open and repairing the diaphragm. I also put on a new o-ring so it would seal better. I used silicone to seal it back up and a spring clip I made out of a table cloth clip.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: