Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dog house cooler onto a 36hp motor?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

36hplandspeedracer wrote:
Snowbug, NEVER run a power pulley on the street! It just turns the fan too slow to cool the engine for everyday street use. Just my 2 cents worth of caution......

Burly
You don`t think a dog house oil cooler and power pulley would work? What size pulley is on a 356 engine?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran an independent VW service facility for 18 years as well as served as a VW dealer service manager and power pulleys are just too small. Engines used daily will overheat. I have not owned a Porsche 356 with the smaller pulley so I cannot answer your question regarding them, but the smaller pulleys proved unacceptable when applied to a VW engine.

I run the standard VW size aluminum pulley on my dog house 36 and have had no overheating or noticeable power loss in city or freeway driving.

Just food for thought!

Burly
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran an independent VW service facility for 18 years as well as served as a VW dealer service manager and power pulleys are just too small. Engines used daily will overheat. I have not owned a Porsche 356 with the smaller pulley so I cannot answer your question regarding them, but the smaller pulleys proved unacceptable when applied to a VW engine.

I run the standard VW size aluminum pulley on my dog house 36 and have had no overheating or noticeable power loss in city or freeway driving.

Just food for thought!

Burly
I was hoping to get some free HP from the power pulley. I was hoping to gain back cooling from the dog house. I don`t have any gauges or even testing time to know for sure if it would work out close to original set up. I will be running a stroker crank( makes engine run hotter). I will be running dual carbs(makes it run cooler).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowbug wrote:

Just food for thought!

Burly
I was hoping to get some free HP from the power pulley. I was hoping to gain back cooling from the dog house.

Well, it takes more hp to drive the bigger fan, so probably you will not gain anything. And when you use more hp, the engine get hotter.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438

Last edited by Kjell Roar on Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowbug wrote:

Just food for thought!

Burly
I was hoping to get some free HP from the power pulley. I was hoping to gain back cooling from the dog house. I don`t have any gauges or even testing time to know for sure if it would work out close to original set up. I will be running a stroker crank( makes engine run hotter). I will be running dual carbs(makes it run cooler).

If you decide to run the power pulley, I hope it works to your satisfaction.
Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the point of asking for expert advice...if you ignore it. Confused

First law of forum life.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by John Moxon on Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
What the point of asking for expert advice...if you ignore it. Confused

First law of forum life.
Hi John, I have been working on VWs for 40 years But I am still learning. Ever watch the show Who Wants to be a Millionaire? When they poll the audience, some times the whole audience is wrong. I have read Gene Berg writings, but there is not much on the old 36 pounders. He was a smart guy from years of testing experience I know most of his info can be applied. In the early days , you would take out the 36 and chuck it into the scrap bin.Put in a 40hp or 1500 with header and almost double your HP. cheers Jim
AirCooledClassics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you want to rob Peter to pay Paul. Burlys right If you want a power pulley on the street your playing with fire.If your looking for racetrack results they work but for a driver they are trouble.Especially in stop and go traffic.You got to make up your mind is this a all out results engine or a easy to enjoy one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJoq3MtsPmc

My National Dragster article
http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=231552
avus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just skip the power pulley, and put an extra shim in your generator pulley. It'll cool just fine a low revs and idling around town, and slip a bit when you occasionally wind er up, freeing up a little hp. ($.02)
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

avus wrote:
just skip the power pulley, and put an extra shim in your generator pulley. It'll cool just fine a low revs and idling around town, and slip a bit when you occasionally wind er up, freeing up a little hp. ($.02)
OH NO! now you have given me an idea for a clutch fan!
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have doghouse shrouds/coolers on all 3 of my Bonneville 36hp engine. I used the small one in my daily driver SC for a year after Boneville, even in 120 degree Havasu summers and NEVER over heated the engine. My big engine 124hp on a flywheel dyno ran cooler then I thought with numerous 7500 rpm passes on the salt.

I'll have to wait and see how hot the supercharged runs.

For even better cooling use a late type3 tight finned oil cooler
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dandand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re Power Pullies
We ran at Bonneville 2 years with a doghouse on our Stone Stock 36hp VW, and never had a cooling problem. (according to cylinder head temp gage).
Last year we also ran our version of a power pulley....we loosened the fan belt to the point that a good tug by one of the tech inspectors pulled it off!
Still, no change in cyl head temp. And we gained a few hp

Of course no one would advocate driving around for any lenghth of time with a slipping fan belt. And a one mile run in a stone stock 36'er isn't the worst case.
Don't know if this is helpful or not.

Dan
BeavergeezersRacing Team
trackwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Dog house cooler onto a 36hp motor? Reply with quote

Has anyone done this with the engine installed. I know it's not much to pull the engine but just wondering Wink
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Dog house cooler onto a 36hp motor? Reply with quote

Anything would be possible "Mummy" but you would spend a great deal more time fitting it than R&R'ing the engine and doing it outside the engine bay. Just sayin'....................
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Dog house cooler onto a 36hp motor? Reply with quote

quick question... would this kinda conversion be reversible?

the studs drilled out to 8mm could use 8mm-6mm repair studs in reverse?

what about the engine mount?
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Dog house cooler onto a 36hp motor? Reply with quote

pig-pen wrote:
quick question... would this kinda conversion be reversible?

the studs drilled out to 8mm could use 8mm-6mm repair studs in reverse?

what about the engine mount?

Definetly Mummy! Just labor and a return to old parts with old style seals!
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Dog house cooler onto a 36hp motor? Reply with quote

im trying to decide on building either a 40 horse or a 36 this summer for a vintage speed style engine. how well does the doghouse shroud and front (front is front) tin line up with the cylinderhead tin of the 36?

any pictures of it all together?

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Dog house cooler onto a 36hp motor? Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
im trying to decide on building either a 40 horse or a 36 this summer for a vintage speed style engine. how well does the doghouse shroud and front (front is front) tin line up with the cylinderhead tin of the 36?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I used the EMPI 36hp dog house fan shroud with heater duct outlets (with 1600cc heater boxes and did not have any serious issues or concerns.

Burly
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Dog house cooler onto a 36hp motor? Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I used the EMPI 36hp dog house fan shroud with heater duct outlets (with 1600cc heater boxes and did not have any serious issues or concerns.

Burly

Is that a model? it just doesn't look real
avus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Dog house cooler onto a 36hp motor? Reply with quote

Burly

Any trouble using the 1600 heater boxes, Burly? When I modified the headers for the Rivets engine, I had to cut and turn all the flanges, because the exhaust bolt pattern was at a different angle than the 1600.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: