Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is this ENGINE?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwracernnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: What is this ENGINE? Reply with quote

I run across this old block and was wondering if someone knew what is is?
I am thinking it is a reman case?
Under the Altenator stand was a pop rivited tag:
5545 AD-462761
Under the tag was stamped:
B 216671 X

On the Sump plate was Stamped:
043 101 102A
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, remanufactured, and more than once!!

That engine was rebuilt by Vege Motoren in the Netherlands, imported and marketed in the USA by ATK engines.

That previous engine number, that X on the end means that one was remanufactured by VW at some point before Vege reman'd it again.

Vege usually builds good stock engines, we sold a few of them to customers when I was a mechanic. Looks like ATK only sells dual ports now though. They used to do more than that.

I don't know why they rivet on a new tag, but they do. I've never taken one of those tags off before. But I bet yours looked like this one:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

When we sold them, they came in boxes that looked like this:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1975 street rail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Yep, remanufactured, and more than once!!

That engine was rebuilt by Vege Motoren in the Netherlands, imported and marketed in the USA by ATK engines.

That previous engine number, that X on the end means that one was remanufactured by VW at some point before Vege reman'd it again.

Vege usually builds good stock engines, we sold a few of them to customers when I was a mechanic. Looks like ATK only sells dual ports now though. They used to do more than that.

I don't know why they rivet on a new tag, but they do. I've never taken one of those tags off before. But I bet yours looked like this one:

When we sold them, they came in boxes that looked like this:

I just bought one of these engines PN # 5545 AD- 454643. It was in a 75 standard FI beetle that someone had converted to a carbed engine. It was complete except for the carb, distributor and some tin. It spins over free with no rough spots. (Sat for a long time!) It looks as if the head on the drivers side was replaced at some point in time as it is cleaner and the pushrod tubes show less rust than the passenger side. One thing I noticed is the head on the driver side has a small round port (About 1/2 inch in diameter) sticking straight upward. It is located toward the flywheel side of the engine. The PO cut a notch in the engine tin to accomodate this port. Does anyone know what it is for? I have several 1600 DP engines and this is the only one that has this port.

I picked this engine up for $65.00 to stick in my rail with the hope that it will run out OK with a litle bit of work Confused . I wish I knew more about the case. It looks like it has the case savers installed. I assume it is an AD case from 71-72 model year based on the #454643??? Can anyone out there shead any more light on this ?

Thanks a bunch
Jim
neil92064
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE - head on the driver side has a small round port (About 1/2 inch in diameter) sticking straight upward.
Connection for a 1/2 ID tube - goes to a collector box to vent fumes - or back into air cleaner - [/img]
06 Range Rover - to recover any of the above 3!
1975 street rail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil92064 wrote:
RE - head on the driver side has a small round port (About 1/2 inch in diameter) sticking straight upward.
Connection for a 1/2 ID tube - goes to a collector box to vent fumes - or back into air cleaner - [/img]

Thanks! Do you know what years used this set up? I'm trying to get an idea what year model the head is aproximately.

Thanks again,
Jim
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1975 street rail wrote:
. I wish I knew more about the case. It looks like it has the case savers installed. I assume it is an AD case from 71-72 model year based on the #454643??? Can anyone out there shead any more light on this ?

If you search for "Vege" or "ATK" you'll find others here who have had these, some of them popped off that riveted on tag, only to find the number underneath not to match at all. So assuming its an AD case, hard one to call that is. I'd go by other indications - you said case savers, is it 10mm studs? (8mm studs came with case savers factory) Dual relief? Beyond that, you'd have to base rebuild decisions on what is inside the case (flat or dished cam, bearing sizes, stuff like that)

That head, I've seen type 4 heads with a vent on top but I'm trying to remember if I've seen any type 1s. What's the part/casting number inside the rocker chamber on that one?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neil92064
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earlier Type 4 heads ( I have a 72 - 914) had that on both sides - not sure when they stopped it though -
06 Range Rover - to recover any of the above 3!
Endicott jb
Bondo King

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 75 type 1 that had this small port. It was for a head temp sender though. Not a vent tube.

OORAH!!
1965 vw beetle(Mayble)
1968 vw beetle(Caroline)
1974 VW Panel Bus
2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins(Katey)

.|_____|.
(0\_!_/0)
.||......||.

Don't drink and post
http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg353/endicott_jb/IMG_20110113_085237.jpg
When life throws you curveballs switch to boomerangs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: