Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Car from page 26 of VW38 thread
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ARG 62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Car from page 26 of VW38 thread Reply with quote

From http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3659031#3659031
Minuet wrote:
I was just browsing through the “abortions, homemade bustards” thread and came across this picture. It kind of looks like the hood corner is not rounded but angular like the 38s... What do you think Question
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've seen it in a backyard of a house, some 50 Km out Buenos Aires. Talked to his owner and he said he brought it form Cordoba province, at the center of the Country. Theres a big German descendant community. It´s told that the sailors from the sunken Graff Spee settled there.
Now it resides in Pacheco, Near the VW factory in Argentina.
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: This car on page 26... Reply with quote

ARG 62 wrote:

I've seen it in a backyard of a house, some 50 Km out Buenos Aires. Talked to his owner and he said he brought it form Cordoba province, at the center of the Country. Theres a big German descendant community. It´s told that the sailors from the sunken Graff Spee settled there.

I think it's interesting that it has squared off corners on the hood. But I think it was determined that it was a '51 or '52 beetle due to the dashboard set up. You can also see the holes beneath the hood for decorative trim.
1973 Standard Beetle
1969 Cessna 172K Airplane
1959 Karmann Ghia
US Army CH-47 Chinook Helicopter Repairer
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: This car on page 26... Reply with quote

PatterBon wrote:
ARG 62 wrote:

I think it's interesting that it has squared off corners on the hood. But I think it was determined that it was a '51 or '52 beetle due to the dashboard set up. You can also see the holes beneath the hood for decorative trim.

Worth investigating though...given the amount of modification, I wouldn't trust an ID based on the dash, or on trim holes. I mean, Look at old number 6 here, that was pretty much butchered. They all have to be out there somewhere, just hopefully not in the form of a beam or bedframe.
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: This car on page 26... Reply with quote

bobnorman wrote:
PatterBon wrote:
ARG 62 wrote:

Worth investigating though...given the amount of modification, I wouldn't trust an ID based on the dash, or on trim holes. I mean, Look at old number 6 here, that was pretty much butchered. They all have to be out there somewhere, just hopefully not in the form of a beam or bedframe.

That is true. Whoever modified Nr.6 was convincing enough to make a government think it was a DKW! They even went through the trouble of making it front wheel drive...Could you imagine if there was anther VW38? Anxious
1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see that the discussion about this car was split away from the VW38/06 thread….

It would be nice to see more pictures of the green truck. The pointy looking corner of that hood is interesting but it could also be the angle at which we see it in the photo. I’m pretty sure it is an early post-war car – maybe a ’46 or ’47. The dash definitely is not a VW38. The ’38 dash had a much flatter lower edge into which the steering column was “cut” in. The driver’s side glove box was narrower to allow the lid to clear the column. I find it highly unlikely that this car is any older than early post-war.
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you're right, but if the dash was replaced, they'd probably replace the whole thing, and, why would they modify the hood like that? I still say its worth looking further, after seeing the state of number 6, anything is possible.

I asked in this thread a few times if anyone had any kind of list of where the first 38s ended up. Would be cool to see the known ones (scrapped) vs how many could actually be still out there somewhere...
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobnorman wrote:

I asked in this thread a few times if anyone had any kind of list of where the first 38s ended up. Would be cool to see the known ones (scrapped) vs how many could actually be still out there somewhere...

Certainly, the vast majority (90+%) were destroyed during the war. Most probably died near the end when the Reich was being overrun. At that time, recording how and when a car was destroyed would be very unimportant.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LeviMan2001
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's with the brake drums? They look aluminum, aka, porsche 356?
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're just Beetle drums painted silver.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some discusion on this green truck and also about the pan in the back in the abortions thread starting from page 1237. Edges look awfully square to me though ...... Very Happy

bobnorman wrote:
Perhaps you're right, but if the dash was replaced, they'd probably replace the whole thing, and, why would they modify the hood like that? I still say its worth looking further, after seeing the state of number 6, anything is possible.

Bernd Wiersch wrote an article in Käfer Revue about the prototypes in which he refers in detail to the inventory lists that were made by Porsche during and right after the war. Check the posts by whitewalls in the VW38 thread (found here). The last list might be what was left of all the prototypes after the war. In his book 'Birth of the Beetle' Barber sums up the prototypes from the last list:

11 KdF wagens (vw38 or vw39?)
2 convertibles
5 wood or coal burners (KdF wagen running on wood or coal)
5 Kubelwagens (including a delivery van)
2 Commander cars
1 Rekordwagen

Also here I did an atempt to get some more info on the above prototypes which were found by the allied forces in Zell am See and Gmund but not much new info came up so far. Still fascinating stuff though Very Happy
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the corner of the hood looks just like any other garden variety split to me.

I also see defroster vents in the corners.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
the corner of the hood looks just like any other garden variety split to me.

I also see defroster vents in the corners.
I agree. Here's a shot from the same angle on a slightly newer car from the gallery:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=959579
kafer53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow neat find. This will be an interesting thread to watch develop.
Paul
Pritsche62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where is this car now?
grtz
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may just be my optimism, but, this didn't exactly fit the description of what at VW38's interior was supposed to look like..

Nor did the front engine or Volga chassis..Or the square rear window...
You guys know way more about split windows than I do, but remember how skeptical the vast majority of us were when the VW38 was discovered?

I don't think it'd hurt to investigate the truck. Who knows? What if it's a butchered and bastardized VW38/01? Or it could very well be just an early post war car too..Just my 2¢
1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatterBon wrote:
This may just be my optimism, but, this didn't exactly fit the description of what at VW38's interior was supposed to look like..

You guys know way more about split windows than I do, but remember how skeptical the vast majority of us were when the VW38 was discovered?

I don't think it'd hurt to investigate the truck. Who knows? What if it's a butchered and bastardized VW38/01? Or it could very well be just an early post war car too..Just my 2¢

I don't mean any offense, but the only people who were skeptical were people who didn't know anything about vw 38's.

I agree that it is worth investigating this frankentruck but I don't see any vw 38 details on it.

No6 had all kinds of vw38 details even without looking inside it. Once you looked in the engine compartment and looked at the door jam details it was even more obvious what it was from the first photos.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
scvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knuckle door hinges were a give away too as I recall.
SOUTHERN INTEGRITY AIRCOOLERS

WTB - Sigla popout glass like in my ad.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1667775
cory464
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

considering the, um, "quality" of the other modifications i have a hard time believing the dash is not original. it does not make sense that someone would take out a vw38 dash just to replace it with a split dash. the dash should look like as much of a hack as the rest of the car, since the dash looks factory, it probably is, and it is probably a split, just like everyone thinks it is. but hey, i would love to be wrong.
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MDKG wrote:
There is some discusion on this green truck and also about the pan in the back in the abortions thread starting from page 1237. Edges look awfully square to me though ...... Very Happy

bobnorman wrote:

Bernd Wiersch wrote an article in Käfer Revue about the prototypes in which he refers in detail to the inventory lists that were made by Porsche during and right after the war. Check the posts by whitewalls in the VW38 thread (found here). The last list might be what was left of all the prototypes after the war. In his book 'Birth of the Beetle' Barber sums up the prototypes from the last list:

11 KdF wagens (vw38 or vw39?)
2 convertibles
5 wood or coal burners (KdF wagen running on wood or coal)
5 Kubelwagens (including a delivery van)
2 Commander cars
1 Rekordwagen

Also here I did an atempt to get some more info on the above prototypes which were found by the allied forces in Zell am See and Gmund but not much new info came up so far. Still fascinating stuff though Very Happy

Great information, thanks for posting!
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatterBon wrote:

My point exactly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: