Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TDI powered Vanagon questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI powered Vanagon questions Reply with quote

Yes. In fact, I'm pretty sure Simon @ Brickwerks got that plate design from me about a decade ago.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'll send you the pdf and you can print it out on card stock, trace it to sheet metal, and cut it out. Cut a rectangular hole in the lid under where the plate goes and seal the edges with caulk once it is riveted in place. It's a very easy mod and does not affect the bed.
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: TDI powered Vanagon questions Reply with quote

Or, if you have a metal lid, you can just hammer a dent into it. It may sound half-assed, but I did mine with some care, and it looks fine.

I think that I only needed to raise part of an indented section flush. It doesn't even come close to affecting the bed. I coated the area around the engine cover with truck bed liner, and I plan to eventually do the same to the engine lid. It should look nice then.

It might be an ordeal to try to do it with something smaller than a sledgehammer.
ryanoceros
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: TDI powered Vanagon questions Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the above engine lid mod is necessary with an AAZ injection pump in a Syncro?

I know the engine sits a bit lower in a diesel Syncro, but I have not heard a definite answer on whether the accelerator lever on the AAZ injection pump causes interference in a Syncro.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: TDI powered Vanagon questions Reply with quote

It is not necessary on a syncro.
smurfpike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI powered Vanagon questions Reply with quote

I have a question and I think I am down to three engine setups for my North American High top Carat automatic 2wd project and need some advice.

One is a diesel and I want to know what the best power option is for this setup. I do not know the diesel lingo and engine type s so please let me know what year and car they are in. I have a shop and I am capable of doing the work myself.

I plan on lifting the vehicle and doing off roading, I live in Utah so I will be traveling mountain passes and going to the desert along with road tripping the highway and back roads.

I want something that is very reliable and maintenance free and I don't have to worry about slowing down over mountain passes. I plan on beefing up the auto trans, possibly taller gear, and adding a peloquin/LSD.

The three setups I am looking at are:

1. turbo or non turbo diesel for great fuel mileage and torque. I want the lid to be stock height if possible-Not sure what kit or setup

2. Suby 2.5 with a possible subygears swap for the transmission-RMW Kit

3. 1.8T-Kit from Stephan's Auto Haus

Please let me know what you think for a diesel setup or any of these setups I am looking at. Thanks

IG Westyrestorations
FB WestyRestorations, parts and accessories

1987 Syncro "Big Red", Full restoration thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=606596

1978 Westy Camper, Full ground up restoration, restoration thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=593413
envirogisgirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="

Imnsho Karl is one of the best TDi installers in the country. You are very lucky to live near him.[/quote]

I am reading thru this old thread about TDI VS Subaru for conversions in syncros and not to the end of the thread, yet I wonder if "Imnsho Karl" is still tacking this type of work out here in Southern 'Crowdifornia' - (borrowing that!)

Also Would love any updates from volks still in here still driving their vanagons or syncros & what motor, what mpg & how it is doing, or if you have transplanted a new motor or out of the current selections of possibilities what you would consider? Links to info are appreciated! I have a 61 bug w a 2332 & a 2door Jeep Wrangler so just gathering info to begin learning. I have the desert, mountains & Baja all right outside the front door Smile

Thanks so much
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI powered Vanagon questions Reply with quote

I rock the 1.9 AHU M-tdi.
You can't beat the mileage and simplicity if you wanna go deep into Baja Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
SyncroTrev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: TDI powered Vanagon questions Reply with quote

@casey79westfalia

Looks like you dropped off this convo after page 2 or so and the crew is taking over and running this thing in a whole different direction.... haha

To get back to your original question....

I have a 1989 Syncro High top, a westfalia full camper interior with a 1.9 ALH conversion. (15º) The van sits on 31" tires and about 23" of ground clearance. The previous owner did the conversion along with tranny work, lift, breaks and other Misc. Receipts total $44,000+ for the project. This price did not include the van.

My Last van was a 1987 Syncro westfalia pop top wedge style with a gowesty 2" lift. (I mention the lift and top type because they cause different amounts of drag and require more power to push around.) In this van I had a 6 cylinder Subaru SVX conversion.

So that said I have spent a ton of time driving, and working on both. Here are my thoughts.

I love the TDI. I constantly see 30+mpg on my scan gauge while driving. There is nothing like the sound of that thing starting in the morning. Little tractor with the iconic diesel tang, tang, tang... then the turbo starting to whistle....

I have a taller 3rd and 4th and ALH has a Borg S7 turbo with injectors/nozzles and a tune. I pushing over 25lbs of boost. The thing rips. I tow snowmobiles and dirt bikes up in the mountains, fully loaded with 2 kids a wife and all the shit they want me to bring, haha.

The big tires really makes my 4th gear tall. So 80+mph is fairly easy to do. And I am not buzzed up at all. Under 3000rpm. The TDI is also amazing off road crawling around. Tons of low end torque and with the granny gear I can go anywhere.

One thing that I don't love is EGT's. Exhaust gas Temps. If I am pulling a pass, I have all the power in the world, but as I dump fuel into the motor via a heavy foot in 4th. My EGT gauge starts to rise very quickly. These little TDI's were pushing 2000lbs Jettas around no problem. But you drop them in a 5000lbs van with a lift, big mudders, and a bunch of camp gear in them, and they feel the load. Monitoring EGT's is a full time job in my van. You have more power and you can spike the heat for a bit to pass and so fourth, but you can't just floor it. You really have to actively drive. This makes my cruise control pretty obsolete.

I love the TDI for so many reasons, and specifically searched for one and bought it. I don't mind dealing with the EGT;s as I get all the positives.

As for the SVX, that thing was a beast! I could pull passes towing at 70mph+ passing modern cars.... That was always fun. But the thing had too much power. I was burning through clutches and tranny's like tires on a track car. It sucked. I could have driven more easy... but I didn't. I had the power and I used it. I sold the van to an older lady and she drives it so gentle. It hasn't been to the shop since I sold it 4 years ago...

MPG was not good. Fully loaded with lift and roof racks. I was in the mid to low teens. And the motor hung down so low. I had about 7" of ground clearance at the motor even though the van sat much higher.

I have many friends with 4 cylinder subaru motors in their vans. And they have issues like we all do. Some years, nothing. Some years they rebuild. They get poor milage, and power is just not there. They are simple and easy to get parts for.....

Building a conversion westy is going to cost some real coin. 7-10k is not realistic. Even if you do it yourself, it will add up. You will get all this power and then first drive not be able to stop. So then you'll do breaks. You hit a dirt road and tag a rock and then lift it. You'll hate being in 4wd all the time and de-coup it. The list goes on and on. If you do it yourself, think in the 20k+ range. If you pay someone think 40K+. I highly recommend doing it yourself if you can. I have fully rebuilt almost every system on my TDI including the motor. Knowing your conversion inside and out is likely the most valuable thing an owner of one of these can have. Especially if you are going to travel in it. So many rich dudes just buy these and have not the slightest clue. They have them for a few years and then sell them. haha.

If you can, go to some van gatherings. Talk with real people that drive these things and work on them. Get them to take you for a drive. Ask lots of questions. Thats the best way to find what you want.

Hope this answers your actual question, and helps my friend. Good luck in your search. On one more thing. You might look at buying a syncro with a conversion already done.

Cheers.
1.9 TDI ALH
Bend, OR
Jan Steinman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: TDI powered Vanagon questions Reply with quote

I asked my mechanic (2,500 miles away…) about a TDI conversion to replace the AFC in my 1982 Westy. The AFC has a knocking rod, and I thought if we have to drop the engine anyway…

He said it had to start out as a water-cooled.

Anyone here have experience putting a TDI in an air-cooled Westy? Other than mounting a radiator and running hoses, what other complications does this entail?

Ours had non-functional AC, but I did a fairly clean de-install, including the condenser up front. Now, there's a big hole up there, waiting for a radiator!

This one has only the upper grill. I notice stock diesels of that age have the lower grill, as well. Is this a necessary mod?

Thanks for any thoughts…
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: TDI powered Vanagon questions Reply with quote

I did a complete AHU swap into an 82 Aircooled. There is plenty of room for a radiator, fan and ac condenser up front and the holes for the heater pipes are already there. I have limited driving on my rig so far but it pulls like a champ. THe secret to EGTs is two fold: 1) intake air temps, cool intercooler equals cooler IATs., 2) don’t overfuel, Just because you can go to much larger injectors doesn’t mean you should. More fuel equals more power BUT it also means more smoke and more heat! My build is listed as Oh no another TDI swap
2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI
Way too many previously owned to list!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: TDI powered Vanagon questions Reply with quote

IMO the most significant 'secret' to keeping EGTs in check is the understanding EGTs increase when the fuel to air ratio increases and that increasing boost actually lowers EGTs (if fuel is kept stable) by reducing the fuel to air ratio (increasing the denominator). Unlike lowering fuel to reduce the fuel to air ratio, increasing boost does not result in a decrease in performance. Of course, max boost should be limited to a safe peak cylinder pressure. The stock Mk3 TDI engines have quite a bit of room for increasing boost pressure before peak cylinder pressures become an issue.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: TDI powered Vanagon questions Reply with quote

Personally, before I cut in the lower second grill, I'd put some miles on the conversion and pay attention to the temps. My feeling is a properly sealed radiator would be more than capable to keep up with a TDI engine.

Perhaps your mechanic was expressing it would be easier to have a donor since there are a lot of bits you won't have. More bits than you think. but yes, you can install a water cooled engine in an air cooled chassis.
Jan Steinman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: TDI powered Vanagon questions Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Perhaps your mechanic was expressing it would be easier to have a donor since there are a lot of bits you won't have. More bits than you think. but yes, you can install a water cooled engine in an air cooled chassis.

This particular guy has new engines in crates in a warehouse! Plus, I counted at least a dozen various TDIs (Jettas, Passats) in his boneyard.

I'm thinking he just may not want to spend the time on it. I may have to convince him otherwise somehow.

I'd really hate to pay him to fix the rod knock in our AFC at this point, then drive it 2,500 miles home, then put a TDI in… based on what I'm reading, I'm pretty sold on getting a TDI into it.
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI powered Vanagon questions Reply with quote

I put a TDI in my aircooled.

I did cut the lower hole to add more airflow, but some folks recommended i dont. YMMV if you dont cut it. I figured Fritz and Hans probably had reasons for the extra flow.

Other thing to note is that the AC DK trans is mounted ~2" further forward, so this may impact your installation, as folks converting from wbx wont have this as a factor.

Another thing to think about is where to mount your intercooler-- i put mine in the front (see my uploads in the gallery) so I didnt have to add active cooling.

Youll also need to make changes to your dash airbox if you want to add the front radiator for cabin heat.

Pretty straight forward, parts are easy to come by.

Jan Steinman wrote:
I asked my mechanic (2,500 miles away…) about a TDI conversion to replace the AFC in my 1982 Westy. The AFC has a knocking rod, and I thought if we have to drop the engine anyway…

Anyone here have experience putting a TDI in an air-cooled Westy? Other than mounting a radiator and running hoses, what other complications does this entail?

Ours had non-functional AC, but I did a fairly clean de-install, including the condenser up front. Now, there's a big hole up there, waiting for a radiator!

This one has only the upper grill. I notice stock diesels of that age have the lower grill, as well. Is this a necessary mod?

Thanks for any thoughts…

My Build Thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730525&highlight=
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI powered Vanagon questions Reply with quote

The '82 diesel had the same engine/trans mounting position as the air cooled (well, trans nose is raised, but the seam between engine/trans is in the same location front/rear). If installing a Mk3 TDI into an air-cooled, just get the '82 mounting hardware and Bob's your uncle. You're even a step ahead of the WBX crowd with the DK trans which is a much better match to the TDI than the WBX trans.
Jan Steinman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI powered Vanagon questions Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
The '82 diesel had the same engine/trans mounting position as the air cooled (well, trans nose is raised, but the seam between engine/trans is in the same location front/rear). If installing a Mk3 TDI into an air-cooled, just get the '82 mounting hardware and Bob's your uncle. You're even a step ahead of the WBX crowd with the DK trans which is a much better match to the TDI than the WBX trans.

Thanks! My mechanic is now saying he has to put the "front nose" from a 1983 or newer in there to do the TDI.

I've read elsewhere that the radiator mounting is all different in 1982 and older. Or perhaps he simply wants both grills. (Mine only has one.)
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: TDI powered Vanagon questions Reply with quote

On our 82 diesel I ended up installing a later year radiator. I had all the parts from the later van. Fan, shroud, wiring and lower support brackets. Quite easy to do. At the time the 82 diesel radiator and hoses were NLA and all the local radiator shops have since closed up. It had a copper core unlike the later aluminum ones. Zero difference in operating temp.

You don’t need the later nose if you want the lower grill. A small body saw, some measurements and the grill.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: TDI powered Vanagon questions Reply with quote

Jan Steinman wrote:

Thanks for any thoughts…

While reading thru the comments to your general questions, here are a few things that come to mind.

- Using the Diesel Engine mounting bars requires bolting points on the inside of the rear engine bay that were not on my 84 gasser. Seems I cut them out of junk yard find and had them welded onto my Van (been over 12 years ago)
- Coolant hoses, including heater hoses, will fit above the fuel tank as is. Of course the tank must be lowered or removed to do so.
- As you may know, the DK code transmission in your Air-cool will be geared okay. But, at some point, you should strongly consider a rebuild to include taller 3rd and 4th gears as well as replace the hub for those gears to the updated stronger design....... and use new metal caged 3rd & 4th gear bearings (this is a minimum recommendation on the trans).
- I've never had an air lock situation in the cooling system with the TDI in my 84
- I used the Diesel Transmission front mount by drilling three new holes to raise the front of the transmission (photo is in my gallery). Your application may be different, depending on the engine, oil pan, etc.
- Intercooler is a must
- Air-filter and location needs to address "intake" noise. Most locate them in front of the right rear tail-light.
- Sound deadening under the back seat wall and deck lid area (inside) are important
- Hanging the exhaust system can be tricky
- The stage 1 tune has been perfect for my set-up (all stock otherwise)
- The DMF is quiet and I think it will only fit in a Diesel Bell Housing which requires very minor clearance/grinding to remove material in about two places.
- I had custom AC hoses made-up by Cold Hose Dot Com

There are some documented builds in the TDI Conversions in the TDI Club with good info.

Hope this helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: TDI powered Vanagon questions Reply with quote

I did remove the top radiator support from a donor van to use in my conversion as well as collected the lower radiator supports. You don’t have to cut off the nose of a later model to get these parts they can be removed. The top support will require a chisel to cut the weld but really not that hard. My 82 also had all the mounting holes for the Diesel engine mounting bars. I did do some trimming of the engine fire wall area but nothing horrible. The swap is “relatively” easy especially if you have someone else do the wiring harness. I stared at mine hanging from a pegboard on my garage wall for days trying to figure it all out before getting David Marshall in Canada make me one. Probably could have done it myself but it wasn’t time I wanted to spend. He also provided a stage 1.5 chipset for my ecu that eliminated the egr and the maf and a speed sensor for the speedo to enable the use of my cruise control. I didn’t cover all of these things in my build but it is here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=728423
2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI
Way too many previously owned to list!
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: TDI powered Vanagon questions Reply with quote

I believe the only diesel engine mounting points that are missing from the gasoline engine models are the reinforcement of the rear mounting points of the engine carrier bars. Welding in a couple plates made from 1/8" steel is all that is needed. That's a very minor aspect to the overall engine conversion project. I believe crazyvwvanman has posted pics of what is needed in past threads.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: