Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TDI powered Vanagon questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDI_VT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a stock transmission, but the R+P was replaced and I have taller 3rd and 4th gears. These mods cost me $2600. Daryl at AA does good work.

I agree with Mark, a reliable job costs around that....but there is a high degree of variability. This stuff has all been discussed ad naseum at various places on the forum, but hey I love to chat (type) about this stuff Smile. I think, excluding the van, I am around 10K into mine right now, but I have a ton of "well, while i'm in there" mods that are done. The engine was also conveniently already mine as well.

2007 BMW R1200S More HP then 1.5 vanagons

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Limited Ecodiesel

1998 VW Jetta TDi RiP, it was an organ donor though....
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is possibly a little tangential. From recollection most transverse VAG diesels indicate TDC on the flywheel, so if you don't use the stock 50 degree bellhousing with the peekaboo window, how are folks finding TDC for routine tasks?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other common option other than the diesel vanagon bell housing is the Kennedy adapter plate which has a little hole on the driver's side of the engine and a corresponding TDC mark on the Kennedy flyweel or drive plate.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
This is possibly a little tangential. From recollection most transverse VAG diesels indicate TDC on the flywheel, so if you don't use the stock 50 degree bellhousing with the peekaboo window, how are folks finding TDC for routine tasks?

if you use a TDi flywheel,you just make a new mark on the flywheel by putting the vanagon one on top of the tdi one.
The vanagon one would have been marked previously as well from clutch installation.
I usually use an old crankshaft and longer bolts for that purpose Razz
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm really going tangential...

Say I want to use a 1.9L TD/TDI @ 50 degrees with an automatic. This isn't just an academic question, since I'm really exploring that option for my manual trans van. Do any of the serpentine crank pulleys have a factory OT mark? I know that with the head off I can use a dial indicator to determine OT and then make my own if needed, but I'm just wondering if VAG made some of these oddball swap permutations a little easier.

y u rune klassik?
Brandonfast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mk4 and newer tdi's have crank and cam locking tools that lock them into tdc. No need for marks on the flywheel unless you were going to wing it.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Metalnerd crank lock left over from back when I had a Passat TDI about a decade ago, but I'm mostly interested in having/creating an easy to read reference mark. I'm probably over-thinking this...

y u rune klassik?
PaulGinAZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to throw a little bit of diversity in the mix... here is a picture of my primary drivetrain out of the truck just to mix things up a bit.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mine is an AHU out of a 1997 Jetta TDi that we tore down to the bare bones and refreshed with all new bearings, gaskets and related parts. Mine is built with a Malone stage 4+ tune along with a VNT 17/22 hybrid turbo, Bosio PP764 balanced injectors, all the deletes, custom intake and air to water intercooler. Malone does a custom tune on the software which should yield about 200 horsepower and a bit over 300 lbs of torque.

My truck can handle a 15 degree mounting angle so I opted for the full Eurospec SA bellhousing/clutch/mounts kit and while I had the transmission out I had the entire unit rebuilt and we installed front and rear Peloquin differentials, front Long Enterprises decoupler, syncro servo sleeve and shaft upgrade kit along with taller 3rd and 4th gears. I also am going to do Porsche 930 CV's on the back when I figure out which combination will work with my truck.
-2014 Silverado 1500 High Country
-2010 BMW X5 3.0 Sport (wifes)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: TDI powered Vanagon questions Reply with quote

casey79westfalia wrote:

Are you guys happy with your TDI conversion? Is it fast enough up hills? Can you cruise 70 and still accelerate when needed? Does it feel like a newer car or still underpowered?

Anyone driven a subaru and a TDI vanagon conversion and can offer a comparison or opinion?

Thread resurrection. Anyone?
TDI_VT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly couldn't be happier. That might be skewed because I love the low range torque of diesels...

I have the stock AHU with 16" wheels, the 1.14 3rd and a 0.73 4th (done wonderfully by AA transaxle). It drives great, my only real complaint is the first gear, with all the diesel torque, seems pretty useless and the 2nd is just a touch too low to start in with causing a bunch of vibration.

Another lil tidbit: the stock diesel motor mounts will work but I'm not really happy with their performance. Investigate other options and do those first, there are a couple.

Collin

singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collin,
Sounds like you recommend a 5 speed transmission? Are you considering the FAS mounts?
TDI_VT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have not decided the mounts to use yet.

I'm not really well read on the 5 speed options with the AHU... I'm not sure if any will fit. I'll defer to the community to answer that one. But if one existed and the gearing was a little smarter I would definitely recommend it.

Collin

IRGreg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im extremely happy with my TDI swap

03 ALH TDI - 15 degrees
86 Westy
Trans been re-geared. 10% over sized 3rd and 4th. 12% R&P
Stock sized tires
2.5" SS exhaust
Stock tune - Oversized injectors (Cant remember which ones)

Cruises happily in 4th at 100km/h and can hold speed on the "Hills" on the island. Last tank was 704km on 51L (438 miles on 13.5gal) Up to 100 its faster then my wifes stock 03 TDI wagon

Still have a fuel quantity issue at idle as well as my Maf is failing aside from that the thing is a dream.

Only regret is mounting the TDI gas pedal upfront. If I were to do it again id leave the stock pedal and mount the throttle cable to the pedal in the engine bay.
66 Standard Bus - Project
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDI_VT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRGreg wrote:

03 ALH TDI - 15 degrees
86 Westy
Trans been re-geared. 10% over sized 3rd and 4th. 12% R&P

Only regret is mounting the TDI gas pedal upfront. If I were to do it again id leave the stock pedal and mount the throttle cable to the pedal in the engine bay.

+1 to the different R+P. I cheaped out on that... I regret it now. Would solve my only trans gripes.

Annnd +1. To pedal mounting. Mine is up front as well... And it's tricky to get it to a comfortable position. Who knew engineers actually spend time analyzing such things??

Collin

pedrokrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to the 5 speed with a TDI, here is one paragraph of my full report that sums it up pretty good. It's a 5 speed AAP code vw transmission that came with European vanagons in the last years, probably 89-91. It was rebuilt this past winter by AA Transaxle with a new R&P 4,14 and a 0,77 5th gear... The best combo in my opinion. My engine is the later ALH, but the gearing would apply to the earlier AHU. Both engines are very similar power and consumption wise.

pedrokrusher wrote:
5 speeds vs 4 speed: the 5 wins
I drove my friends monster syncro 16 westfalia built with a TDI AHU engine. His rig is truly amazing, but the 4 speed tranny really had go to higher RPMs before shifting to the next gear. And the gap between 3rd and 4th is quite big. Now when I drive mine, the 5 gears feel like I always, I mean I always have the proper gear and RPM range available to upshift or downshift. The diesels don’t have as big as a power band like the gasoline engines do, so the 5 speed is very usefull here with a TDI.

Wanna read more? Go to the middle of this page for the full report:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493964&start=60
1989 vanagon Karmann Gipsy #652, TDI AFN
1991 vanagon westfalia conversion TDI ALH Silverfox
ex-1989 vanagon syncro passenger Syncrofox (Sold)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598791&highlight=
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493964&highlight=speed+aap+trans
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=496589&highlight=carrier+bars
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=506025
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pedal potentiometer is extremely sensitive to moisture. In other words, you need to keep it dry. I found the stock TDI pedal to be uncomfortable as well, I ended up modifying it. You can't tell in this picture, but the stock Vanagon accel pedal was trimed flush and filled with JB weld. I then added a peice of teflon type tape that cabinet makers use to on top of the JB weld pedal. I then cut off the TDI pedal and filled the side web with JB weld and added a peice of the same tape to the TDI pedal stub. It works great. The problem now is with the bigger nozzles, it takes very little pedal movement to go 55 mph. I use the cruise almost exclusively on the highway. In town shifting you don't notice.

hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same thing with my pedal. I had driven a conversion with the stock pedal and it hurt my ankle so much I couldn't stand it. Using the stock vanagon pedal made everything much easier. I can feel the resistance is different with the e-gas, but you get over it pretty quick.
lloydy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i originally used the pedal from the passat donor, as above, really made your ankle hurt. I did a bit of research and found the pedal from a LHD vw sharan fits a lot better. I've been using it for around 9 months and it feels made for the van. just about perfect positioning.

And part number
[/quote]
expo1122
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI powered Vanagon questions Reply with quote

Bumping an old post.....

I just wanted to clear up something I havent been able to clearly find.
If im swapping a stock AHU jetta motor with stock turbo into my 82 diesel Vanagon, can i get away without making any custom engine mounts?
Also, will i have any turbo oil line issues? or does it go into the block like the AAZ does instead of the oil pan.

Reason being, i was about to do an AAZ swap for simplicity but Im now leaning more towards the AHU for more power. Im not worried about the elctronics as that comes easy to me ( electrician dayjob) and I am already in the process of building a bettered geard DK transmission

Thanks in advance for any help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rotaecho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read with the AAZ you needed to modify the engine cover and install a plate similar to this. Is this also the case for an 1Z/AHU mTDI install? Thanks!

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/aaz-gtd-m-tdi-engine-lid-cover.html

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
A 1Z/AHU will fit just fine under the lid without any custom carrier bars or mounts. You would likely want to swap exhaust manifold/turbo/oil return line. Custom exhaust and intake.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: