Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My '72 Super... ongoing project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tabney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread brings back memories for me. My first car was a yellow 72 super, and I loved that car like no other. This was back in 1988, so there was no internet or forums for information. The only 'support' I had was from a JC Whitney catalog, the Idiots Guide, and a family in my town who had a passion for VWs and owned a few of them. I didn't get as involved in solving rust issues like you are, but I really don't remember the car having too many of those. I do remember spending every waking moment with the Idiots Guide, under the bug, either freezing in the winter, or sweating in the summer. Sadly, my parents made me sell the car, but I've been pretty lucky in life and I'm back into the ACVW world. The awesome thing for you is you are making these memories that will last a lifetime. Keep posting updates Clark. I can't wait for the next installment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tabney wrote:
This thread brings back memories for me. My first car was a yellow 72 super, and I loved that car like no other. This was back in 1988, so there was no internet or forums for information. The only 'support' I had was from a JC Whitney catalog, the Idiots Guide, and a family in my town who had a passion for VWs and owned a few of them. I didn't get as involved in solving rust issues like you are, but I really don't remember the car having too many of those. I do remember spending every waking moment with the Idiots Guide, under the bug, either freezing in the winter, or sweating in the summer. Sadly, my parents made me sell the car, but I've been pretty lucky in life and I'm back into the ACVW world. The awesome thing for you is you are making these memories that will last a lifetime. Keep posting updates Clark. I can't wait for the next installment.

Thanks Very Happy I can't wait for school to let out so I have my free time again...I'm gonna start with practical stuff like wheel bearings and CV's, they haven't been serviced in 20+ years and I'm worried about driving the car distances till I fix those, brake adjustments while I'm there. I need to fix the fuel evaporative system as well, no one will ride in the car 'cos it reeks of gas all the time Laughing Then bodywork and a cheap respray to hold it over till I can give it a proper restoration. And window seals. I can't wait for summer Cool
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it's been a while since I updated this. Not a ton has happened, I ordered a bunch of new parts (mostly body rubber) and I re-packed the front wheel bearings. I'm gonna do the CV's at some point soon, and the rear wheel bearings are probably good for a bit longer. BUT now that school's out and I've got some free time, I'm preparing the car for paint. I've found someone local who will paint the car, he also found a decent looking single stage paint that should work well. As I've said before, it's not gonna be a show car, I just want it painted and looking good for a few years before I fully restore it.

So today I got the lights off, not too difficult. I will be needing a passenger light housing, the original has rusted through in a couple places. I sprayed the fender bolts with PB Blaster 3 different times over the course of a few hours...I'll let them soak and try to remove the fenders tomorrow. Or should I apply more PB Blaster, wait a bit longer, and then remove the bolts? They haven't ever been removed, I tried removing one without PB Blaster and it tore the sheetmetal out around the bolt Evil or Very Mad Any other tips for removing fender bolts? Should I use a larger wrench?

Some pics...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Comparison...original paint, and the repaint:

Aftermarket rear fender:

TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got one fender off! I'll need to weld in 4 new threaded inserts, and tap out one where the bolt head broke off. I had hoped that more bolts would just come out without damaging the surrounding sheet metal, but oh well :/ Some rust...I'm not gonna be able to patch all of it. Since this is just a respray right now and not a restoration, I'll treat as much of the rust as I can with something like POR-15 to keep it from spreading and fix it in a few years when I restore the car.

TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the other fenders off, broke more inserts in the process. Whatever, at least they're off and I can start doing some bodywork on the fenders. I might end up using a bolt with a nut on the end for the broken inserts I can reach behind to cut down on welding and buying patch panels. What do y'all think?

jwagner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhhh, been there before. Sad that i wont be going back Crying or Very sad
LeviMan2001
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwagner wrote:

Some day, you may though! But we'll laugh at you in the future because the super beetles will get all rare and valuable... yeah right.
RidinRetro1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, I can't even imagine how you work on that thing in the hot sun after driving around down there. Kudos to you, man!
Modern Vanagon Westy Interior
jwagner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeviMan2001 wrote:
jwagner wrote:

Some day, you may though! But we'll laugh at you in the future because the super beetles will get all rare and valuable... yeah right.

Hah, wouldnt that beat all? 15 years from now "Damn, i shoulda never let that car with perfect floors and mechanics go Evil or Very Mad " Alls i can say is that if i had a normal car to drive as well, this car wouldnt be getting sold.
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RidinRetro1973 wrote:
Dude, I can't even imagine how you work on that thing in the hot sun after driving around down there. Kudos to you, man!

Haha thanks Very Happy I'm starting my bodywork with the fenders, since they're off the car now. Just lotsa sanding and grinding of rust Razz If I can find one locally I want to replace the passenger rear fender, it's rusted worse than the others and is beat up worse as well.

Here's a quick diagram thing I drew up to see what needs to be done. Most of the welding is those little inserts, I'm ordering 15 of them today...

TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's taken a lot longer than I thought to get this car repainted and back on the road. It also cost a lot more, as of now I owe my parents $927.69 for the welding work that was done on the car Shocked I just have a bit of sanding and some MasterSeries work left to do though, and the car is ready for paint! There is a local shop that will paint it for around $500--cheaper than Maaco (and better quality). For now, here's some pictures of the car as it stands now.

And a question. The guy who did the bodywork recommends me spray all the bare metal with Rustoleum Self-Etching primer before sending it off for paint. He's a really experienced restoration guy (had an awesome '55 Chevy in his shop), but from what I've read...all rattlecan primers, even if they are self-etching, are crap.

I know that there should be holes for the running boards to bolt in here, but mine always held up fine just being bolted to the fenders...not too concerned about that right now.

I love the comment the guy wrote on the receipt for the work: "No warranty on repairs. Customer advised of extreme rust problem on car." Laughing
tabney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see you're still working on the car Clark. Don't give up...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tabney wrote:
Glad to see you're still working on the car Clark. Don't give up...

haha thanks, I took the car to a paint shop in Louisville last Thursday, they're like Maaco but will do the work for $100 less. I saw their work too, it looks pretty good and I'll be happy with it on my car. Should be getting it back at the beginning of next week sometime...can't wait!
tabney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to post up pics both here and RCOD. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Next year should be busy for you what with all the shows you'll be attending with that new paint job...lol.
ernstben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, this is the best time; waiting for a shiny new car to come back so you can put it together again. Enjoy it and keep up the good work!
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tabney wrote:
Be sure to post up pics both here and RCOD. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Next year should be busy for you what with all the shows you'll be attending with that new paint job...lol.

I know, I want to make it to as many shows and stuff as I can. The only thing holding me back is the state of my engine...my car has never been on anything longer than a drive downtown and back before. It did fine, but I just keep thinking..."what if?" haha. I'll risk it Razz

ernstben wrote:
Dude, this is the best time; waiting for a shiny new car to come back so you can put it together again. Enjoy it and keep up the good work!

Thanks!
I'm so excited to get it back, I've never had a Beetle that I could actually polish up, wash, and take care of like I do my GTI. I'm an auto detailer, so I'm excited to get it back and get everything cleaned up and re-assembled!
tabney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRustySuper wrote:

I know, I want to make it to as many shows and stuff as I can. The only thing holding me back is the state of my engine...my car has never been on anything longer than a drive downtown and back before. It did fine, but I just keep thinking..."what if?" haha. I'll risk it Razz

You haven't had any issues up to now right? Oil changed, valves adjusted, and fuel in the tank and you'll be good to go! Downtown from your house is what? 20-30 minutes each way? If it'll go that far, it'll go an hour lol.

I'm looking forward to seeing it when it gets back. Remind me again, what color did you go with?
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tabney wrote:
TheRustySuper wrote:

You haven't had any issues up to now right? Oil changed, valves adjusted, and fuel in the tank and you'll be good to go! Downtown from your house is what? 20-30 minutes each way? If it'll go that far, it'll go an hour lol.

I'm looking forward to seeing it when it gets back. Remind me again, what color did you go with?

I don't think it'll be something "normal" that would go on my engine...as far as I know the engine has never been rebuilt, unless at really low miles. So it has around 200K on it right now. Just makes me a bit nervous, but it runs great, especially on the highway.

It's gonna be Kansan Red, this color:

TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's back from paint and re-assembled!!!! I worked from noon till 2:30 AM yesterday getting everything put back together and some more today cleaning it up, and I have to say it looks great, far better than I expected for the bodywork I did and the price of the paintjob, which was only $600. I hit a few snags, please check out this thread here.

And pictures! I know I need bumpers, the originals are too rusty and bent to re-use, and I'm $800 in debt to my parents right now (the other $800 was an early graduation present, so the job cost $1600) so I'm not incredibly concerned about getting them.

My old camera wreaks havoc with red cars, sorry Razz

Pretty clean in there, picked up some original floormats too:

Clark
tabney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOLY TOLEDO Clark! That looks AMAZING for only $600 bones! I can't wait to see it in person. I bet you are super excited to have it back. More pics please!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: