Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

G Down Exhaust
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yessong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I jet hot coated a dual cannon system a few years back - it rusted thru within a year - just the same as if I painted it. Stainless steel seems to be the only thing that lasts - if you're parked outside full-time and that's what I went to next on that particuliar kit car (not the car I am looking to put the GDown on)

I heard from Caludio at G-Down shortly after my post - he assured me that he'll be welding up my system end of this week and have in the mail by mid next week. I'm gonna give him till the 27th to get it to my door step - we'll see what happens then. Given the body style of my buggy and how the rear tilts the average merged system won't work...or look that good so I'm gonna keep holding my breath on this and hopefully it'll pan out - will keep all updated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yessong wrote:
I jet hot coated a dual cannon system a few years back - it rusted thru within a year - just the same as if I painted it. Stainless steel seems to be the only thing that lasts - if you're parked outside full-time and that's what I went to next on that particuliar kit car (not the car I am looking to put the GDown on)

I heard from Caludio at G-Down shortly after my post - he assured me that he'll be welding up my system end of this week and have in the mail by mid next week. I'm gonna give him till the 27th to get it to my door step - we'll see what happens then. Given the body style of my buggy and how the rear tilts the average merged system won't work...or look that good so I'm gonna keep holding my breath on this and hopefully it'll pan out - will keep all updated.

Coating a 'cannon' system seems to be kind of self-defeating, since they're glasspacks and will eventually burn out internally...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yessong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did...eventually get the system from G-Down. It is very well made. Did have to muscle it on but a rubber mallet helped a lot. I gotta tell ya - I really think that that the system sounds great...and I like the way tit has cleaned up the back of my car.

As far as performance - how much can I really get out of a stock 1,500 single port with a holley carb and electronic ignition...so no biggie there.

On the whole I am pretty satisfied with the system...even after all the delays.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see people buying the system for the aesthetic benefits... totally. Sound preferences are always subjective, as it varies from one enthusiast to another.

I just find it funny after some of the bold claims the guy made about performance increases and the myth of scavenging or some such thing that dyno results were never released. Can't say I'm surprised, but it's just amusing to me.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RX Exhaust. Nuff Said.

bugnut68 wrote:
I can see people buying the system for the aesthetic benefits... totally. Sound preferences are always subjective, as it varies from one enthusiast to another.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVERYONE knows that dual stingers are faster than one!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Primary tube diameter/length, collector design and baffle dont matter because its CHROME!!
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I really think that that the system sounds great..

Do you also own a Harley?
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound great = Sounds like it's running on three cylinders under water. Rolling Eyes

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dynoliciuos is a relatively inexpensive iPhone Gmeter app that works pretty well. For 15 bucks you don't have to guess anymore.................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-DFbJQbeSY

Now if you will have test the pinpoint accuracy to actual times yourself, but the consistency is incredible..... before and after is no guess. Did this part speed up the car or slow it down?

http://www.bunsentech.com/projects/dynolicious/
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
special-k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of like the looks of the RX exhaust if I tripped across one I'd probably try just because. It almost looks like they wanted the tubes to be different lengths. If the wouldn't have put the extra bend in #1 and 3 primary tubes they look like they would be comparable in length. I know M/T used to have the primary lengths staggered inside the collectors to make up for the unequal length before the collector. Could never figure out if he was on to something or just a cheap and dirty way to make the primary tubes equal length.
Hot Air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody purchased one of these lately. Just wanted to here any updates on this system. I want to go with forward exhaust system. Is there any other options for this.
If you made your own what did you use.
Any info would be great.
Not worried about the performance loss.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's like a really bad nightmare. They just keep coming back and back and back and back....

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hot Air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW that bad..
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do some searches here and on The Cal-Look Forum. They performed terribly, and sounded worse. I hope he's in the re-designing phase and spends lots of time on it. It's the only thing that will save him.. well, maybe not the only thing.

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotrodvw wrote:
Do some searches here and on The Cal-Look Forum. They performed terribly, and sounded worse. I hope he's in the re-designing phase and spends lots of time on it. It's the only thing that will save him.. well, maybe not the only thing.

He was talking big claims before sending them off to be dyno tested... after that, he got real quiet. Lol.

A system like this isn't for everyone. There's plenty of folks out there that likely don't give a rats hind end about maximizing performance potential and are only into improving the aesthetics of their car, and that's fine, I guess. When I heard it at Sacramento a couple years ago, though, my first thought was the car must have had a Subaru conversion done.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see this system being a hit with a lot of the volksrod crowd. Maybe the owner should try to market it more towards them. Me personally, I like the VW/Porsche-ness history of these cars too much to run a "hot rod" looking exhaust.
catbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
I can see this system being a hit with a lot of the volksrod crowd. Maybe the owner should try to market it more towards them. Me personally, I like the VW/Porsche-ness history of these cars too much to run a "hot rod" looking exhaust.

They pretty much think it is an overpriced steamy pile as well.

Smile
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They pretty much think it is an overpriced steamy pile as well.

Hahahaha....just trying to throw the poor guy a bone...
claudio gdown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all you guys bashing G-Down. I'm still here and my exhausts are loved all over the world. And right here at the 2012 VW Classic, we were on the car which WON the Dune Buggy Class. Looking forward to a great year!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

post your link !! so we can see your stuff& possiably buy some!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: