Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

G Down Exhaust
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yessong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been very satistifed with mine and love the sound
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

claudio gdown wrote:
Hey all you guys bashing G-Down. I'm still here and my exhausts are loved all over the world. And right here at the 2012 VW Classic, we were on the car which WON the Dune Buggy Class. Looking forward to a great year!

No bashing here, but it sounds like you're pretty much acknowledging it's largely a stylistic system and NOT a hard-core performance item as was the claim in this thread:
http://www.cal-look.com/forum/cal-look-high-performance/g-down-exhaust/

I'm sure there's plenty of guys around the globe who are looking for something different looks-wise, but a lot of folks have wanted to know for some time how this system stacked up against a traditional four-into-one system.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
claudio gdown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After Jake Raby tested my exhaust. I decided that I needed a test that I could be present at. Chico Performance is a customer of mine and we ran the same exhaust that Jake tested: "Shorty" 1 5/8 IRS with Crossover and Megaphone tips plus Ceramic coating. We ran it against an A1 merged with Phat Boy muffler. The motor was a 1914cc with 44 IDF, 36 Vents, 91 octain, 142.5 main jets, 200 air jets, F7 E tubes with 60 idle jets. At 2500 rpm we make more power with 50 verses 48 hp./ 105 verses 98 torque. At 3000 rpm 63 horsepower verses 57/ 110 verses 98 torque. At 3500 74 verses 70 hp/ 110 over 105 torque. At 5000 we were down 1 horsepower: 95 verses 96 and torque was 100 vs. 101. I'm satisfied that the forward exit duals is a good design. The others have had a 40 year head start in development right? We are getting ready to test our new Dual XX which we have experimented with collector size, muffler location and dual crossovers. I can tell you that this new exhaust is an improvement and as soon as it's tested [we tried but it would not fit on the dyno couple weeks ago) I'll release further results. Check out our G-Down USA Facebook page and check out the video of the first fire up.
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why didn't you comment after Jake tested it?? The others may have had a 40 yr head start, but do we know what really was the original prototypes in 'performance' exhaust systems? Bottom line is, everyone goes to a true header for HP. If your system is done at 5k, IMO it narrows the market in which you're going to sell them. If I had a product tested, and it did well, I'd be raving about it immediately. If it didn't test well, I'd tuck tail and hide in my shop until improvements were made. That's what we saw you do. So how is Chico's testing different? What difference does it make if you're there or not? Inquiring minds want to know. Regardless, this set up is fashion driven. The video I saw that you posted sounded terrible...not your strongest selling point LOL

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

claudio gdown wrote:
After Jake Raby tested my exhaust. I decided that I needed a test that I could be present at. Chico Performance is a customer of mine and we ran the same exhaust that Jake tested: "Shorty" 1 5/8 IRS with Crossover and Megaphone tips plus Ceramic coating. We ran it against an A1 merged with Phat Boy muffler. The motor was a 1914cc with 44 IDF, 36 Vents, 91 octain, 142.5 main jets, 200 air jets, F7 E tubes with 60 idle jets. At 2500 rpm we make more power with 50 verses 48 hp./ 105 verses 98 torque. At 3000 rpm 63 horsepower verses 57/ 110 verses 98 torque. At 3500 74 verses 70 hp/ 110 over 105 torque. At 5000 we were down 1 horsepower: 95 verses 96 and torque was 100 vs. 101. I'm satisfied that the forward exit duals is a good design. The others have had a 40 year head start in development right? We are getting ready to test our new Dual XX which we have experimented with collector size, muffler location and dual crossovers. I can tell you that this new exhaust is an improvement and as soon as it's tested [we tried but it would not fit on the dyno couple weeks ago) I'll release further results. Check out our G-Down USA Facebook page and check out the video of the first fire up.

Right on. Again, no offense intended, as the updated information is appreciated. Thanks again.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
claudio gdown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

200 plus and counting satisfied customers love the sound and that's a pretty long PARADE LOL! Wink
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it might limit the guys looking for big HP out of their motors, but there's also lots of guys running buggies who cruise around with them and don't spin them up to 7000 every chance they get. And even 95hp in a buggy is pretty fun

Dual cannons have been around for decades and they sound like hell and make no HP I know, I had them for 10 years on my car.

It's nice to see that the development continues on a NEW product to make it better. I was very interested in this the first time I saw the add for them. It really makes the back of an open car look much cleaner than the snake farm we usually carry back there.

Looking forward to seeing the next results.

brad
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
. After Jake Raby tested my exhaust. I decided that I needed a test that I could be present at.

So you think Jake messed with the resultsto make yours look bad?

How bad were the dyno charts from jake?

Why don't you get Chico to post the new dyno results. I'm sure we'd all like to have a look.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the way they look. Always glad to see new VW products.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see his ,a std good merged,kymco,bugpack,tricill,empty,al's,a1 whooever else has a shelf header for the acvw and the "they dont make any power buggyheaders " headers all done on the same performance motor., at the same time same tuneup.then try to compart then to the header that uses a fan to pull the exhaust out,them things realy work !!
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is like the bent/Z spring plate thread! It just keeps going.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be cool to see some new spin on dual cannons for vrods,buggys, bajas and kit cars. Or or low rear exit duals that fit a sedan. All with crossovers.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: twin pipes Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the test results from CPR. That data fits right in with previous results from other twin-pipe buggy headers many years ago (albeit rear outlet twin pipes)...ie. good HP and torque in lower and mid-rpm's, but some slight loss in HP at high rpms.

Still a good choice for a dune buggy, but probably not quite the best for a street/strip Beetle that runs high rpms.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't a very good comparison as the merged header was tested with a muffler and the duals with megaphones. I suspect the comparison would have been less favourable if the merged header had also been tested with a megaphone.

We only have hearsay evidence, but it is interesting that it seems to be better at low RPMs - anyone know how long the primaries are in this system? or the megaphones? I would hazard a guess we won't see a proper full dyno chart on these as such odd-paired systems tend to have a big hole in the middle of their charts...

The sound is a matter of taste - I ran dual cannons on my buggy for a very short time and I quite liked the sound, it was just far too loud. Fortunately they were very cheap so I didn't mind replacing them with a merged bobtail system before I added the cage.

I'm not going to apologise to this guy if he's offended - he's had three years to produce a real side by side comparison from an independant tester. Having said that, if he can find a way to tune out the inherent hole, such a system would look great on a roadster, where appearance tends to matter more than outright performance anyway.

If they come up with a 360 degree paired version I'd be interested, too.
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: comparisons Reply with quote

Quokka42 wrote:
It wasn't a very good comparison as the merged header was tested with a muffler and the duals with megaphones. I suspect the comparison would have been less favourable if the merged header had also been tested with a megaphone.

Actually the comparison was quite straight forward, as I read it:

A1 merged header with Fatboy is one of the most popular setups being sold and it was compared to the G-Down with Megaphones. They are quite different in design and sound, but at least we can see the HP and torque comparisons.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
barfy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just install a merged header backwards so that the stinger is under the car?
KopfenJager
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right ON Barfy! Something like a merged header http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=3658 , put on backwards and upside down so the collector is over the diff in the tranny and under the parcel tray. So that goes into a one (in) and two (out) muffeler with the exhaust run out to both sides. Am I as clear as a mud puddle?
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Neil - but his claimed gains are exactly what we would expect from the addition of a megaphone, and he has avoided any potential problem areas.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KopfenJager wrote:
Right ON Barfy! Something like a merged header http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=3658 , put on backwards and upside down so the collector is over the diff in the tranny and under the parcel tray. So that goes into a one (in) and two (out) muffeler with the exhaust run out to both sides. Am I as clear as a mud puddle?

Take a look at a mid engine header. It does this EXACTLY. You would need to make a tunnel in your parcel tray to clear the collector but it would be pretty easy to do. I have one sitting in the shed from an old autocross car.

brad
claudio gdown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The test was with our standard setup: through 2 Xlerator Turbo Mufflers with megaphone tips. We sell 2 styles of tips, megaphone and rectangular. Sell a lot more rectangular but decided to use the megs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: