Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

G Down Exhaust
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These engines just have to run a collector.. without it the engine will never run efficiently.

I have tried on at least 5 occasions to create individual bank systems that would be effective, but all the engine did was run rich and sound like shit.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bam914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alister wrote:
Sounds like a riced Subaru - like it has a misfire. (Can anyone explain why Subies sound like crap, when they have the same engine layout as the ACVWs?)

Can't help but think that system weighs twice what the merged systems do, easily, while the merged headers are well-proven performers. And I'm not fond of drilling holes in my trailing arms, either.

No thanks. Unless they offer one with cylinders #1&3, 2&4 paired, so it doesn't sound like a Subaru or old Honda CB-K series bike (400, 550, 750, etc). 'Course, then it would sound like an old BMW or Triumph...

The Subaru engines have an uneven length pipe to collect both sides into one. This is on the turbo engines. The NA ones I think are the same length. You can buy a equal length header for the turbo but the like the uneven sound.
stealth67vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotrodvw wrote:
It sounded like a 4cyl Subaru running on 3cyl.
You stole my line from the CLF Rolling Eyes Laughing
7.76 @ 89.55mph 1/8 mile
12.34 and 108.10 mph 1/4 mile
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stealth67vw wrote:
Hotrodvw wrote:
It sounded like a 4cyl Subaru running on 3cyl.
You stole my line from the CLF Rolling Eyes Laughing

You gotta protect that shit dude! No Copyright! Laughing

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spyvsspy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buginva there you go. In the 60 years of hot rodding acvw's that exhaust style has never been popular because it just doesn't work, hence, it is a turd. And the name says it all; you are about a G down after buying that exhaust and the merged one that you should have bought in the first place. Do you see the company defending their product here?
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give the folks props for giving it a whirl. The idea is there, but clearly not enough research, and/or hooking up with the people that are willing to offer tuning aids (Jake Raby is one). It's everyone's dream to own their own business, let alone one in a hobby they love. Believe me when I say I would love to find that one product that the hobby loves. Tiger @ A-1 muffler is a perfect example. His product is defined as top of the line in the industry, blowing away even Berg as far as I'm concerned. So, while we've all spoken our opinions, which we're entitled to do, I do offer credit for the ambition involved, as well as the risk and courage.

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings

Last edited by Hotrodvw on Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spyvsspy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotrod, I couldn't agree with you more. Jumping into the acvw business is a risky and ambitious step. But you can't sell a product that doesn't work properly just because it looks shiny. Tiger's exhaust looks like a lot of work went into planning and building it. The g down looks like a wannabe viper exhaust. That is not a reason to create a performance product. An exhaust has to offer performance with good looks. You can't sell it with looks alone. In this world only women can pull that off.
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spyvsspy wrote:
Buginva there you go. In the 60 years of hot rodding acvw's that exhaust style has never been popular because it just doesn't work, hence, it is a turd.

there who goes? You throw out alot of words... 60 years? LOL... doesn't work, or doesn't work well? which one did you read, polly?

spyvsspy wrote:

And the name says it all; you are about a G down after buying that exhaust and the merged one that you should have bought in the first place. Do you see the company defending their product here?

it's not uncommon for a company to not "defend" their product.. know why? because parrots and armchair tuners get their panties in a knot when they think they know things they don't... sound familiar?(it should, if you can see the forest Wink )

spyvsspy wrote:
But you can't sell a product that doesn't work properly just because it looks shiny.

you really are new to the vw scene, aren't you? (really, the above shows you haven't been around long.)

GEX has. Just sayin
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am tempted to buy one and gather the data, but I don't have time to play anymore...
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Raby wrote:
I am tempted to buy one and gather the data, but I don't have time to play anymore...

Jake, you know there's no need to do that, it's a fairly poor design. I'm very sure you have much better things to do with your product testing time, especially given that you've done it before. That said, you know me, I like to tease the birds... Wink

GEX has. Just sayin
spyvsspy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bird or not its still shit.
LeviMan2001
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Raby wrote:

I vote YES! Do it! I would love to see that. If it wasn't for the performance I would actually consider one, I think it sounds good Embarassed
SRP1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say patent that design, sell it to Empi for a ton of Renminbi (<Chinese currency) and retire. What could be better!
It can go right on top of the turd parts pile along with the rest the non working parts out there for the VW. Rolling Eyes
You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that this system won't work worth a damn.... IMO not worth the time to even test, it's a been there done that failure...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there such thing as a Internal Exhaust Check Valve?
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vaughn bros. wrote:
is there such thing as a Internal Exhaust Check Valve?

Yes; you typically install it before the muffler bearing, otherwise the piston-return springs will prematurely fail.

I don't think electrickery works that way
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing I enjoy better than knowing more about other people's components than they do!!
jbreddawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But you can't sell a product that doesn't work properly just because it looks shiny.

Sure you can, just ask Empi Rolling Eyes

fred69vert wrote:
Enough torque to pull the panties off a nun.

RCros wrote:
Sometimes I have more balls than talent.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugnut68 wrote:
"back pressure is a myth." That last part is a direct or darn near direct quote.

I think there is a difference between back pressure and scavenging.
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derluftwagen wrote:
bugnut68 wrote:
"back pressure is a myth." That last part is a direct or darn near direct quote.

I think there is a difference between back pressure and scavenging.

I think it was scavenging... haven't been back to that thread in awhile...either way, it was a pretty hefty generalization to make, IMO, especially since it goes against commonly accepted exhaust theory.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigheadted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet those giant fart can set ups on the ricers make less power than a other types but they offer a style and sound that a ton of folks like. I hate em though. This Gdown has to at least be better than a stock set up and it sure has a different style, love em or hate em I hope the guy makes a bunch of money.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: