Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dining, Drinking and Stealth Urban Overnighting?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANGOVAY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be alittle off the stealth camping but here in Sacramento we have a pretty good size contigent of homeless who sleep in all sorts of RV's and I even see a Westy once in awhile parked under the overpass of the Cap City Freeway (Pioneer Bridge) on 3rd street and around the area. They certainly are not stealth and seemed to hang around for a few weeks at a time, I suppose after the cops ask them to leave and then show up a few weeks or days later. It always appears they are gone during the day but the vehicles and even trailors are there all day. For the most part they don't leave too much of a mess and I'm sure the better they behave the longer the city let's the stay.?
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simba'sWestyWings wrote:
we've heard a lot on this thread about "stealth" near the west coast, any input from central and/or east coast Question
Pulling over to get some sleep on the east coast is just as much of a pain in the ass as the west coast I have been run off from all the usually places in the 2wd. I tried truck stops and rest areas but there is all ways to many lights and to much noise to get any sleep so now I park well off road I did get waken up once by a logging crew going by but it was time to get up any way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Orbitald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for getting quality sleep in a noisy environment (truck stops, rest stops, burning man) I like to use noise canceling earbuds and sleep music, cd/mp3s.

Here's a nice article and reviews on noise canceling earbuds:

http://www.noisecancellingearbuds.net/

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-headphones/

And a couple of places that list sleep music (I think I have the Delta Sleep CDs and another one)

You can listen before buying here:
http://www.soundsleeping.com/mp3downloads.html

Another good selection:
http://serenitysupply.com/catalog/Sleep-Music-9-1.html

Amazon Search "Sleep Music":

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-...=0&y=0
'87 Syncro Westfakia, 1.9TD ADE (AAZish), 068 Injection Pump, K03 turbo, 2.5" exhaust, Mercedes nozzles, SAAB Blackstone charge-cooler w/ 800cfm fan, Micro-1000 EGT sensor pre-turbo, boost at about 13psi, 235/70/16 with stock gearing
ZimZam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alaric wrote, " to many lights and to much noise to get any sleep"

I use ear plugs and a dark hat to cover me eyes. Very Happy

"Nobody trusts anyone, or why did they put tilt on a pinball machine.”
- Steve McQueen
"It's just metal, when rusted and dented , anything you will do will be better. Stop being afraid. What they (VW) did many year ago is not better then what you will do now." -Ben
Dogberry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a couple mentions of apartment buildings but not the way I use them... this is always my first choice in town if it's a safer kinda neighborhood and street parking is available. I don't park in the apartment lot but on the street in front. Nobody knows in an apartment complex who has company or a second car or if it's a new tenant or anything.. cars coming and going are the norm. I close the rear curtains and the sidewalk side... stack up some gear on the table and stove to semi-cover those windows. Always dressed in dark t-shirt and at least boxers. I don't use the front curtain either. Now that I have an alarm I set that too and the blinky light says... nobody home! Owner is away, right? Otherwise why would the alarm be on... I did that just last week... perfect! You can always dummy up a blinky light too... a nice flashing blue LED is the bomb! Make it look like it has an alarm when it doesn't. I must admit the window tint helps... Now about alcohol.. I don't drink and drive. BUT I have Oregon RV plates on my Westy. If I remember right.. will need to check to be sure... But I think that means I can have an open container in the vehicle as long as it's not is the front... As far as being toasted and rousted from parking spot... would handing the keys over first thing and walking away get you out of trouble? You might need to call a cab and even have the car towed but better than a DUI I guess.. I just won't test that scenario... So open container in an RV? What is the law about this?? I'll check Oregon...
Dogberry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon DMV: It says having having an open container
is a no-no except: SEE LAST PARAGRAPH.

Dunno what that means in real life but I sure as heck have a
open bottle of Jack-in-the-back. My Westy is a registered
motor home according to OREGON DMV.

OPEN CONTAINER VIOLATIONS
811.170 Violation of open container
law; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense
of violation of the open container law
in a motor vehicle if the person does any of
the following:
(a) Drinks any alcoholic liquor in a motor
vehicle when the vehicle is upon a highway.
(b) Possesses on one′s person, while in a
motor vehicle upon a highway, any bottle,
can or other receptacle containing any alcoholic
liquor, which has been opened, or a
seal broken, or the contents of which have
been partially removed.
(c) Keeps in a motor vehicle when the
vehicle is upon any highway, any bottle, can
or other receptacle containing any alcoholic
liquor, which has been opened, or a seal
broken, or the contents of which have been
partially removed. The following apply to
this paragraph:
(A) This paragraph applies only to the
registered owner of any motor vehicle or, if
the registered owner is not then present in
the vehicle, to the driver of the vehicle.
(B) This paragraph does not apply if the
bottle, can or other receptacle is kept in the
trunk of the vehicle, or kept in some other
area of the vehicle not normally occupied by
the driver or passengers if the vehicle is not
equipped with a trunk.
(C) For purposes of this paragraph, a
utility compartment or glove compartment is
considered within the area occupied by the
driver and passengers.
(D) This paragraph does not apply to the
living quarters of a camper or motor home.

DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if the storage area under my "sofa" (yes I've seen it referred to as such Laughing ) would be considered a "trunk" or the very back "linen closet" shelves?

I've read this entire forum thread and gotten some wonderful ideas (I'm very good at creating things from ideas). I probably won't ever go tinted and after years of shifts and emergency on calls I can sleep just about anywhere, anytime (normal sounds) and my curtains are quite thick but I realized I have some 50" wide black think vinyl, one side plain,other side with the odd gold star. I could create velcro blinds for between windows & curtains.

I get oodles of ideas from thesamba and that is why I hang around plus as you can tell I like sharing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANGOVAY wrote:
This may be alittle off the stealth camping but here in Sacramento we have a pretty good size contigent of homeless who sleep in all sorts of RV's

Hmm, if they have an RV to sleep in are they truly homeless? Sounds to me like they are full time RVers.

The LA free paper had an article about folks like this a couple of weeks ago, including a nice picture of the front end of a baywindow on the front cover. The gist of the article is that most of the people he interviewed chose the minimalist lifestyle. As far as getting hassled, most of them learned the places where they didn't get hassled and even became part of the neighborhood in the places they frequented. I suppose that if you live this lifestyle full time you get very good at finding places to park for the night.

In the posts above the one that I hadn't thought of was the hospital parking lot. Seems to me that a vehicle parked there overnight wouldn't attract much notice because there are people who have business in hospitals at all hours and for fairly long periods of time. As long as you are careful not to make obvious that you are within there is little reason for suspicion on the part of police/security.

Still, my preference is to get out of town and down a dirt side road out of sight of traffic. If they don't see you, they can't cause you problems.
ANGOVAY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Hmm, if they have an RV to sleep in are they truly homeless? Sounds to me like they are full time RVers."

Well my guess in this case-yes they are, as far as having a home to live in,- but having something to call home may exempt them from my definition.
I suppose some of these RV'ers may elect to live a minimalist life style and some may be forced to live in a RV...
Just saying there is a bunch here in SacTown that seem to get away with
not so stealth camping....and the local PD doesn't really bother them very much.
Smudge1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to the ultimate read on stealth living in your vehicle - very cool and very informative.
Happy reading!
[url]
http://www.whenshtf.com/showthread.php?8419-Jobless-and-living-in-my-truck...-(with-Pics)[/url]

Cheers
Smudge
Julian13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone help me find the post that had a picture of a black curtain that was stretched across the back of the front seats? I recall it was mounted with press studs mounted in the roof lining strip but can't find it anywhere.
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANGOVAY wrote:
This may be alittle off the stealth camping but here in Sacramento we have a pretty good size contigent of homeless who sleep in all sorts of RV's and I even see a Westy once in awhile parked under the overpass of the Cap City Freeway (Pioneer Bridge) on 3rd street and around the area. They certainly are not stealth and seemed to hang around for a few weeks at a time, I suppose after the cops ask them to leave and then show up a few weeks or days later. It always appears they are gone during the day but the vehicles and even trailors are there all day. For the most part they don't leave too much of a mess and I'm sure the better they behave the longer the city let's the stay.?

I live in sacramento and i have noticed that too. lots of motor home vagabons in the rancho cordova and surrounding areas on the 50 corridor.
i recently saw a pretty nice orange 74 bus roaming around from lot to lot. needless to say, he is not very stealth Rolling Eyes
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julian13 wrote:
Can anyone help me find the post that had a picture of a black curtain that was stretched across the back of the front seats? I recall it was mounted with press studs mounted in the roof lining strip but can't find it anywhere.

Here's mine.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Julian13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the one Tim, thanks. Was it your post or do you have a link to the post?
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julian13 wrote:
That's the one Tim, thanks. Was it your post or do you have a link to the post?

It was my post, in the What have you done thread.

I made the curtain out of double sided stretchy polyester to get snug and also not let alot of light through. Since I made the curtain I also installed a red led light, so I can at least see at night without turning on the bright white lights.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Julian13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Tim, I'll do a search for that. I believe you said it couldn't be seen from outside and looked like it was all dark inside, is that correct?
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll fool the casual observer, but a cop with a big flashlight will see that it is a curtain.

Of course, one could just put a car cover over the entire bus so nobody can look in! Smile
Julian13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:

Of course, one could just put a car cover over the entire bus so nobody can look in! Smile

Kind of difficult from the inside George! Laughing

And not very stealth either.
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julian13 wrote:
GeorgeL wrote:

Kind of difficult from the inside George! Laughing

And not very stealth either.

Actually, they make covers with access panels so you can get into the vehicle while it is covered. The stealth aspect is that most people don't know that so they will assume that the vehicle is not occupied.

It would be a lot of hassle, though. No free lunch!
Julian13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sure as hell would get noticed doing that more than once.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: