Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flywheel help
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
btleboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Flywheel help Reply with quote

My clutch started slipping so I pulled the motor tonight. My question is what flywheel my car has in it. Its a 1957 beetle with a 1960 36hp and 1960 split case trans. The reason I'm questioning the flywheel is that it has a 12v starter and it appears to have the bell housing ground out on the edge. Is there anyway to measure the flywheel to determine if its a 180 or 200mm? If so where do I take the measurement. Thanks for any help. Id like to try to get it back together for a vw show on sat. -Steve
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The opening where the clutch fits in there, that's the part you measure. Once you've seen a few, you can tell at a glance which one you have.

They've made "conversion" flywheels in the past. And like early 60s Bus and Type 3 models had different configurations stock. You might have one of those in there if yours is 12V now.

The ring gear, the larger diameter 12V that requires clearancing, that one has 130 teeth, and the smaller diameter 6V has 109 teeth. Here's a comparison photo of the two "standard" bug flywheels

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlikely that the flywheel is 200mm if you have a 36hp, due to different crank pin style (smaller on 36hp), but I suppose it is possible to put a 12V ring gear onto a 36hp flywheel, or re-machine the 12V flywheel to fit the 36hp crank. Photo of engine and flywheel would tell the story.
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: flywheel help Reply with quote

can anyone help me with a quick measurement?

I am about to take a 36hp flywheel to the machine shop for resurfacing and lightening. It is rusty, so I know both surfaces need to be taken down equally to keep the step the correct distance.

I just want to be sure my step right now is correct, as I know nothing of the history of the engine or the flywheel that I have and it may have been made incorrect already once in its life...

So... what should the height of the step on the 36hp flywheel be?
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Flywheel help Reply with quote

I believe it is 24mm for 6V and 21mm for 12V. Or most likely 24mm for 180mm clutch and 21mm for 200mm clutch.
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel help Reply with quote

yep, 24mm it is right now. thank you for your quick reply. much appreciated.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: flywheel help Reply with quote

pig-pen wrote:
I know both surfaces need to be taken down equally to keep the step the correct distance.

This is wrong.
The disc surface of the flywheel does wear slightly. By grinding down the same amount each time you surface the flywheel, you preserve this wear for it's next life. Your 60 year old flywheel may have had several grindings, each time the distance gets farther away from spec.
The correct way is to grind the disc surface, then grind the clutch surface to exactly 24.0mm above the disc surface. Usually you end up grinding much more off the clutch surface.
It is likely that your flywheel measures greater than 24.0mm. If so, it contributed to your slipping clutch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Flywheel help Reply with quote

I didn't have a clutch! this flywheel was in my back garden. no slipping there, apart from me harvesting the rhubarb.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: