Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ospho?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtixpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Ospho? Reply with quote

Is there anywhere that one can purchase Ospho in a single quart size? I can't seem to find anything online, and I've checked several local stores and no one carries it.

I did find a rust product at Home Depot but it came in a gallon size, but wasn't sure if it was similar. It did have phosphoric acid listed as an ingredient though. I worry about using anything that requires it to be washed away, because I don't want to get water in the car and risk it getting into any hidden areas.

I'm looking for something that I can use on my floor pans and suspension components to convert the rust and provide a protective coating. And not necessarily require painting right away.

Thanks!
2018 VW Atlas SE VR6 4Motion
2019 VW Beetle S Final Edition Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been very successful with DupliColor's Rust Fix. It sprays on clear and converts the rust to black metal with a waterproof coating. No need to paint right away. I just got it at the auto parts store next to the other rattle can paints. Not an HVLP sprayable product but works good to spray on the insides of heater channels and tight areas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gtixpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Many years ago I had tried a rattle-can rust converter. It seemed to work okay, but the protection didn't last very long. A lot of the spots that I had sprayed started to rust through again. So this time I wanted to go a different route.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gtixpress wrote:
Thanks. Many years ago I had tried a rattle-can rust converter. It seemed to work okay, but the protection didn't last very long. A lot of the spots that I had sprayed started to rust through again. So this time I wanted to go a different route.

Search "ospho" and use my name/login for the "author".
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gtixpress wrote:

I can tell you ospho is the real deal and lasts for a long time. We did my rail buggy frame over 2 years ago, and wherever its scratched, its still a dull grey, even after all this time. And its always wet and dirty. The stuff is a miracle!

I get mine from a local auto body supply store.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gtixpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll keep searching. I'm sure it's out there somewhere. Smile
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marine stores usually carry ospho in qts and gals. Not Yacht Boys or Yacht Depot but the industrial/commercial fishing stores

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gtixpress wrote:

Try ACE Hardware in your area...

Or you can order it in quarts for under 15.00 from dozens of places if you google it.

http://www.merrittsupply.com/OSPHO-Metal-Treatment-Quart-SKU-OSP-04-P5776.aspx
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jbreddawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get mine at the local auto parts store called Napa. If you don't have a Napa I would just call all your local auto houses, one of them will carry it.

fred69vert wrote:
Enough torque to pull the panties off a nun.

RCros wrote:
Sometimes I have more balls than talent.
gtixpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to try Napa. I usually don't have good luck finding anything useful at auto parts stores other than usual junk.

I did check two ACE hardware stores and neither carried it. And since I live in Central Illinois, we don't have a lot of marine shops around. Smile

Thanks for the input!
DKS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get OSPHO at my local Sherwin Williams paint store in gallon bottles for about $30.

67 Bug (Ragtop), Black
67 Bug Sedan, Lotus White
VWDruid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ace stopped caring it, In my are any way. try http://www.coastmarineonline.com/

it's under "more..." skybright (Ospho) lower page 3rd collem second from the top.
70 Westy, 2027cc "dual DRLA 40 m140 i55 wjdoc a165 p33 v30 "w100 straight cut 040 polished heads 1.25 rockers 1.5 A1sidewinder supertrapp muffler trans 091 coil SUM-850500 CDI universal svda Pertronix
http://www.storyofstuff.com/
It's not the straight cut gears It's the T.A.R.D.I.S. engine.
wanted Chameleon Circuit
66uno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:41 am    Post subject: naval jelly Reply with quote

I use Naval jelly. I grind the area out, apply the jelly and then wipe it clean witha wet rag. Then, using a wire brush attachment on my power drill, I hit the area again until the friction heats the surface and drives out the remaining water. Then, I use a rattlecan primer with a rust inhibitor in it or, in some areas I POR-15. Don't know if my method will work longterm, but it seems like a bit of overkill and so, I think that it will.

Hell, the navy uses that shit on old rusty buoys and such. . .
VWDruid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have navel jelly because ACE stopped caring Ospho.

I like Ospho ,to me its much more versatile it's in a liquid form so you can use it in a spray bottle and the effect it creates when you hit rust you know it's working.

the coastguard uses some thing else I'll have to ask my neighbor what it was again.
70 Westy, 2027cc "dual DRLA 40 m140 i55 wjdoc a165 p33 v30 "w100 straight cut 040 polished heads 1.25 rockers 1.5 A1sidewinder supertrapp muffler trans 091 coil SUM-850500 CDI universal svda Pertronix
http://www.storyofstuff.com/
It's not the straight cut gears It's the T.A.R.D.I.S. engine.
wanted Chameleon Circuit
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Ospho? Reply with quote

gtixpress
I'm having the same problem. Why use Por15 if you have a 3 step process and you still have to use water which causes rust? So check out Picklex http://picklex.com/home.html I just talked to the company on the phone it sounds like what I am looking for. If this works like they said I will be very happy. Just make sure your primer does not contain any acid. I think I will use this on the chassis of my Splitty too. Although I like the hard finish of the Por15 I will have to use epoxy under there now. I'll post when I get it. BTW they mail out the same day $60. per and they do take paypal.

See my thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3972686#3972686

gtixpress wrote:
Is there anywhere that one can purchase Ospho in a single quart size? I can't seem to find anything online, and I've checked several local stores and no one carries it.

I did find a rust product at Home Depot but it came in a gallon size, but wasn't sure if it was similar. It did have phosphoric acid listed as an ingredient though. I worry about using anything that requires it to be washed away, because I don't want to get water in the car and risk it getting into any hidden areas.

I'm looking for something that I can use on my floor pans and suspension components to convert the rust and provide a protective coating. And not necessarily require painting right away.

Thanks!

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
Miss Bea and Me
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keifernet wrote:
gtixpress wrote:

Try ACE Hardware in your area...

Or you can order it in quarts for under 15.00 from dozens of places if you google it.

http://www.merrittsupply.com/OSPHO-Metal-Treatment-Quart-SKU-OSP-04-P5776.aspx

Merritt is running a special of 40% off the gallon size. You have to add it to your cart to see the discount. Makes it less than $21 for a gallon. Miss Bea is very rusty, so I think the gallon will not go to waste...

http://www.merrittsupply.com/OSPHO-Metal-Treatment-Gallon-SKU-OSP-01-P5777.aspx
gtixpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a bad price, but beware of shipping costs. One place wanted to charge an additional $22 hazardous material shipping fee, on top of the normal shipping cost. And that was just for the small quart size bottle.
gfw1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ospho works! Picklex, Duplicolor not impressed. I have been using Eastwoods Rust Converter which I believe is made by SEM and personally I really like it. By itself is does keep rust at bay since it actually converts the rust to primer. I've been covering that with Rust Encapsulator and have had no problems epoxy priming and painting over them.
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Ospho? Reply with quote

Old topic but I wanted to share that West Marine offers free shipping to any store location near you. I picked up a gallon of Ospho for $45.
Not bad.

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tspot100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Ospho? Reply with quote

i had my local hardware store order me a case about 10 yrs ago. still have 3 gallons left. great stuff as stated. if u cant find ospho, try milk-stone remover from tractor supply warehouse. mostly phosphoric acid and costs 11$ a gallon.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: