Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

some questions on turbo set up !
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
viking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: some questions on turbo set up ! Reply with quote

Hi , what would be the set up on a stock 34 PICT carb with a rajay turbo from 70's with a 1600 engine for street application ?
What would be the best cam on the 1600 to use my rajay ? A counterweight crank and waste are recommended ?
Is it possible to use a turbo without waste ?
Thanks for yoour help
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.shoptalkforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=118340&sid=7f014cacafa36801271a684262c402ee

Stock cam.

CW crank and wastegate are always recommended.

Yes, if you want to blow up your motor.
A.J.Sims
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stock cam x2
You can do it with out the use of a wastegate (thats the way they did it) but i would add one!!!! Very Happy
68 drag bug 1915cc 10.50's @130mph
66 fastback 2387cc turbo street car
67 baja 2054cc turbo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
viking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for these informations Smile
What would be the problem if i don't use a wastegaste ? what is its function ? if i must install a wastegaste , what is the best ? What would be the value for the adjustment ?
About the 34 stock carb , must i change its set up ?
Thanks again for your help !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
racerx09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

viking wrote:
Thanks for these informations Smile
What would be the problem if i don't use a wastegaste ? what is its function ? if i must install a wastegaste , what is the best ? What would be the value for the adjustment ?
About the 34 stock carb , must i change its set up ?
Thanks again for your help !

Well a waste gate is pretty important to any turbo setup that isn't built to be used once. Because after the first time, it will probably turn into a very expensive explosive hahah. The way a turbo works is that by using exhaust gasses to spool the fan in the turbocharger to push more air into the cylinder to create a more potent combustion, you are creating more horsepower. But when boost is reduced, to keep the manifold from exploding from pressure, the waste gate releases a portion on the gasses from the set up, allowing the turbo to spool again thought the next acceleration.
MinamiKotaro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wastegate vents a portion of your exhaust gas before it gets to the turbine. It controls the amount of boost by limiting the speed of the turbine and, thus, the compressor.

If you don't have a wastegate, you'll get runaway boost and your pistons will be destroyed by detonation the first time you bring it up on boost. To run without a wastegate, you need an exhaust housing that's so large you can't make too much boost. Then your performance will be less than ideal because the turbo will be oversized.

Quote:
But when boost is reduced, to keep the manifold from exploding from pressure, the waste gate releases a portion on the gasses from the set up, allowing the turbo to spool again thought the next acceleration

I think you're actually describing a blow off valve, there. The blow off valve is located between the compressor discharge and throttle plate(s) of a blow through system. When the throttle plate is closed, the blow off valve vents pressure from the charge pipe to prevent shock damage to the compressor wheel.
Check out my ongoing story.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: