Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Barn Fresh 57
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim excellent work as always! Nothing like the sound of an original horn. Amazing detail. You really have some serious patience.

Keep em comin! Very Happy

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubjeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The texture looks awesome.
PANZERVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyertim wrote:
thanks again for the compliments everybody!

panzer, i'm not sure what you mean by "specs"???

Apologies, template would of been a better word to describe it. Based on what I read and the pictures you have posted I have been trying to recreate my interpretation for a better word of your "D" lighted sign. I lack a CNC machine or the metal fab skills of may I say Master Craftsman like yourself so I opted out to use carbon fiber and come pre fab aluminum pieces. Again I don't think it will come out like your great work but it is an inspiration to read and follow greats like yourself.
jzjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive appreciated the photograpy and graphics. Especially the sunroof restoration ones.
Skill and artistry.
BDSBSS23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: ragtop restoration...con't Reply with quote

flyertim wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

…and the finished front bow.

remember this?

it’s looking pretty good now.

question, how did you manage to take care of the pitting back to normal? I can see you filled it but with what filler did you use? I bought a ragtop clip as well and will need to tackle few things before installing it on my 58.
Pillar repair with 65 bus
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=530360
oneeyedducky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: bosch horn restoration Reply with quote

flyertim wrote:
i mounted it on the car just to see what it would look like. i hooked it up to a 6-volt battery and after a few adjustments it works just fine.

the horn will get boxed up like everything else and stored away.

for those of you waiting for a metalworking update, i have been doing some rust repair. but, you’ll just have to wait a bit.

looks gorgeous. just one question, did you test it with a strong 6v battery and adjust the points on the horn so it doesnt sound like a dying cow before you put it all together?
flyertim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: ragtop restoration...con't Reply with quote

BDSBSS23 wrote:

question, how did you manage to take care of the pitting back to normal? I can see you filled it but with what filler did you use? I bought a ragtop clip as well and will need to tackle few things before installing it on my 58.

first, i sandblasted the entire header bow...making sure i got into the pits. you want it down to the bare metal.

i TIG-welded the holes with filler rod (of course, a mig welder would work just fine). then i ground the welds.

the pitting that wasn't too bad was filled in with lead.

i used evercoat's z-grip body filler over the whole header bow...working my way down from 36-grit sandpaper, to 80-grit and finally 180-grit.

then i smoothed things over with u-pol's dolphin glaze (which fills in any pinholes) sanding with 180-grit.

i primed with ppg's K-36 high-build primer...then i wet-sanded the entire header bow, top and bottom, with 400-grit sandpaper.

finally, i used my iwata supernova with the gold base-coat cap to paint single stage BASF UNO-HD gloss black.

my '57 rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=369883
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flyertim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: bosch horn restoration Reply with quote

oneeyedducky wrote:
looks gorgeous. just one question, did you test it with a strong 6v battery and adjust the points on the horn so it doesn't sound like a dying cow before you put it all together?

thanks.

yes, i have a new 6-volt battery that's constantly hooked up to a good battery tender.

according to the bentley manual, you adjust it after it's put together. so, i adjusted it per the manual. there's an adjustment screw on the back in the 5-o'clock position. also, there's an adjustment screw under the bosch badge in front.

i'm sure i got it right because i tested it in front of a few friends who owned v-dubs back in the day and the horn brought a smile to everybody's face! Very Happy

my '57 rebuild:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flyertim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: current events Reply with quote

in more recent news, my computer started acting up...all i get is a "disc read error" message.

sooooo...i'm unable to post photos/update this thread. (my ipad won't let me post photos).

i've been doing rust repair, so at least i'm making headway.

my winter daily driver needs some love, so i have been buying parts for a complete front-end job. i just bought new tires yesterday.

it'll be a while before i even think about buying a new computer.

so, hang in there...enjoy the summer.

my '57 rebuild:
Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha trawled though my links to find your thread - always takes me ages to find yours!

(its always nice to know complete strangers are thinking about your project from any corner of the globe - the wonder of thesamba.com)

so whats happening????

WANTED - [WTB] 55-62 Bus Thin Lip Package Tray SWR

Getting Used - SWR 60 westy copy built by vw ( apparently Rolling Eyes )
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320866

Braukuche wrote:
Where did you find the elephant dick?
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burwin wrote:
Ha trawled though my links to find your thread - always takes me ages to find yours!

If you look in the oval sticky's: oval-window projects and builds, you find this thread more easily next time Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=509505

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You certainly are in the right line of work.
flyertim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry fellas...no updates Sad

the bug has been sitting under a cover. i'm anxious to get back on it, but i'm still catching up on neglected projects.

a few weeks ago, a friend of mine gave me a trailer. he sold his warehouse and it was sitting inside for 10+ years. i spent the past couple of weekends getting it roadworthy. i was extrememly excited the first time i saw it because it's the perfect size for the beetle! it's 8' x 11', 3500 lb axle...and it has full-sized tires...not those stupid trailer wheels that spin around 10,000 rpm. now i can haul the bug off to get media blasted and shit!

(oh...i don't want any emails or pm's asking for help moving furniture or something. i don't drink, so you can't tempt me with a 6-pack of beer.)

also, i finally machined the parts i need to repair my winter vehicle (which can also be called my towing vehicle!). so, the next few weeks will be spent tearing apart the front end...replacing bushings, tie rods, bearings, ball joints, etc...

then i need to replace the exhaust, which will be fabricated out of stainless steel. i had to machine some stainless flanges to bolt to the stock cast iron manifolds. that was done yesterday afternoon.

i still don't have a computer...just the ipad. i did find out, however, that my hard drive is okay. i bought a sata-to-usb cable and i can read the hard drive just like a jump drive. so, my photos are okay.

i know, i know...long post and no pictures. and on top of that, i'm bs'ing about everything but the vw. sorry i ruined your morning coffee. hang in there...i should be able to get back on it in a month or so.

my '57 rebuild:
VolkDubz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

absolutely amazing... well done! Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NCdad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any updates?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Osk_Moilahan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading through the post and have to say truly amazing work! Very Happy
lyrikz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im going to try and put this into words as to how im reading this thread.

When i first started this the other day, i saw this rust heap you had and then i see this pretty good writeup on doing a gas tank. I was giggling to myself why would you do the gas tank first? Then i kept reading..
I read all night. Today, im finishing it up. IM sitting on the couch saying out loud "holy shit, are you kidding me?" "is this guy THIS FUCKING GOOD?"

My wife is looking at me wondering what the heck im talking about. So, i sit her down and have her start to read with me. I get to the sliding ragtop and we both are just staring at each other with this WTF look on our face. Unbelievable work.
SOOOOO, i get to your D light....... I stand up, set my laptop down, scream "I QUITTTTT!!!!!" and run upstairs... AMAZING WORK man. ABSOLUTELY amazing. Sorry about the graphic words, i just needed you to really get the jist. UNBELIEVABLE skills. Im still shaking my head....
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: bosch horn restoration Reply with quote

Catching up on the thread again... Absolutely mind blowing work! Applause

Could you go into more detail about your paint "frosting"technique? I have a '66 Chevy C10 that originally had a slight texture finish on the dash, and I haven't seen anything closer than the texture you were able to achieve on the horn parts.

This is the C10's dash texture.

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
Speed-Norway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: WOW Reply with quote

I just finished reading/browsing trough the entire 33 pages. Im stunned about your attension to details - and quite pleased to see that it's not only me spending hours getting it just right. Keep up the good work, a true inspiration! Smile
flyertim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: bosch horn restoration Reply with quote

theastronaut wrote:
Could you go into more detail about your paint "frosting"technique?

pm sent

as for the rest of you, sorry, no updates Sad

but, thanks for the compliments!

other projects are in the way. i hope to get back on it soon.

my '57 rebuild:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
Jump to:
Page 33 of 35

Jump to: