Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

wesalberts Sandrail restoration
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesalbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: wesalberts Sandrail restoration Reply with quote

Hey guys. I'm new to this forum but been keeping an eye out for awhile.
I just picked up this rail and have plans of fixing it up. Currently it runs and all, but needs to be freshened up a bit. I have a few questions being new to the VW thing. With the help of this forum, I think I have alot already figured out.
On with the pics

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I already have few orders of parts being shipped, but still need to figure out brakes, engine, and some electrical.

My first question or main problem I am trying o figure out is, why is the engine crooked? It is sitting lower on the passenger side. Nothing looks bent.
wesalbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on building this mainly for the street since in south FL thats about all thats down here.
So far I am doing coilovers, new chrome steering shaft and bushing, clutch cable, throttle cable, a switch box and redoing wiring, spotlights (for when it does go off road), exhaust, distributor cap, plugs and wires.

Things to do soon are Rims and tires, brakes (currently only has back), rebuild engine (or at least replace gasket between head and cylinder).
For the brakes I am looking at the CNC pedals or similar kit so that I can upgrade to a hydraulic clutch. I have read different posts and am still trying to figure out if I am going to do front brakes. I am leaning toward a wider front tire and puttin brakes back on it.
buzzboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One very important thing is that you're missing your cylinder tin. It's some important stuff. And the reason the engine is sitting crooked is most likely in the frame horns. Make sure they are straight and in good condition.
wesalbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzboy wrote:
One very important thing is that you're missing your cylinder tin. It's some important stuff. And the reason the engine is sitting crooked is most likely in the frame horns. Make sure they are straight and in good condition.

You called that one. There is a hole rusted through on the passenger frame horn. Now the question is what can be done with it.
Has anyone delt with the BerrienBuggy tubular frame horns? Would this be a worthwhile replacment? Are there other ways to fix it?
caromin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Berrin horn kit is a decent setup whe properly welded on. Having grown up in So Florida I know how rust down there can attack a car, I'd be hesitant to repair that horn. It sounds like mousture (or salt water) has gotten to the horn, possibly inside, the other probably has some internal rust also. Fix it right first time
Sandrail
Explorer rail build!

'Rollin Dirt Video!
Pozi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you doing coils right out of the gate? If it were me I'd do that last. You might be surprised what a coil over conversion is going to cost you. Just get it running and driving good and then save your pennies. It's hard to tell but is that a swingaxle?

You mentioned you're doing exhaust too. Good idea. I think the stinger is the worst thing possible for off-roading.

Along with another seat I'd remount the seats to recline much more than they are mounted now. I'm not talking about "barcalounger" reclined just slightly. I have had a rail where the seats were mounted much like yours and I didn't realize that I didn't like it until I had my next rail with the seats reclined.

Good luck. Looks like you have a good platform to start with.
vwrides.com
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes some head tin and fix it right.

btw.. I'd love to see a closeup of your front bumper setup?

FOR SALE www.VWOVAL.com domain name:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1602771

FOR SALE 1968 VW Resto/Parts VAN:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1585662
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wesalbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good suggestions guy.
I hate the seats. I can't seem to get comfortable. I have the second seat also. They were bolted in with 2 bolts in the front. Needless to say, they moved ALOT.
The stinger is gone. Got the new exhaust tonight and bolted it on. New bolts, gaskets. This is just the first sign of things to come. I had to use 4 different wrenches to get nuts off. Shocked I wanted to get the exhaust first because the rear cage (that I need to get made) will need to go through the exhaust. I am thinking of cutting the whole back off behind the rear hoop and extending the rear to behind the engine.
I went ahead and just bought shocks. I need to get rid of the air shocks on the back that have no air line run to them.
I am going to hold off on the tins and anything major engine related and wait until I pull it out for a rebuild or replacment.

I have seen people weld angle iron to the bottom of the frame horns to stregnthen them. I have also seen people run bars to the back of the horns as well. Still thinking of the aftermarket horns. For the price, it doesn't seem like you could go wrong. The trick is finding someone that can get them welded on correctly. I am looking at shops that build cages and getting a few quotes. I am trying to get everything lined up so I can get all the welding done with one trip to the welder. I'm not going to use this stuff to "learn" how to weld.
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a good start to a fun buggy!

Where in South Florida are you at? We've got a group of guys in Central Florida that ride off-road quite a bit up here. Depending how far south you are it may not be too far of a tow for a whole bunch of fun!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wesalbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics of the front bumper.

And the rusted holes in the frame horn. I went beating on it with a hammer a bit. Very Happy

wesalbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florida_Buggy wrote:
looks like a good start to a fun buggy!

Where in South Florida are you at? We've got a group of guys in Central Florida that ride off-road quite a bit up here. Depending how far south you are it may not be too far of a tow for a whole bunch of fun!

Just south of West Palm Beach. My wifes family is in Orlando, Ocala, and Gainesville so I get up there a bit. As you can see from the pics, I have no trouble with trailering.
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well check out www.tampabaybuggyclub.com Its free to join, and we'll let you know when we plan to ride (or you can let us know when you're heading up this way to see if we can schedule a ride). We ride in Ocala forest, or in Inverness (about an hour south of Ocala).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CBDZ_CBDZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am going to hold off on the tins and anything major engine related and wait until I pull it out for a rebuild or replacment.

This is something that you SHOULD NOT wait for. These need to be on to properly cool the engine.

http://www.rentabender.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buzzboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesalbert wrote:

Unless the engine won't be driven, REPLACE them. Having an engine that won't overheat should be a top priority.
wesalbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree his should be a priority. The rail has been driven for years with no tins. The engine leaks oil, has a leak at the head, smokes, and runs rough.
There is no point to me spending any time fixing this until the engine is pulled. Unfortunatly since the horns are rusty, this means it is sooner rather than later. I'm trying to get the rail sound and the way I want it.
I'm working on the small stuff now, then brakes, frame horns, then engine. I am still thinking on buying an engine already built. This will then have the tins. I will then probably keep the old engine to fix up, or sell as is localy. I'm not sure yet.
runslikeapenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesalbert wrote:
I agree his should be a priority. The rail has been driven for years with no tins.

im sure everyone here will agree with me when i say HOLY SHIT!
that's a huge problem dude. there is no way that engine has been run for years with no Tins. seriously if it was run for any period of time without them, then your probably in for some serious trouble internally.

if your planning on running the engine at all those Tins are a Priority. you can find them in the classifieds and you can get them new for pretty dang cheap.
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see it being driven without tins. First, he said the motor leaks oil all over, runs rough, and smokes, so its probably cooked. Second, being in a rail, and having the fan still blowing on the cylinders, I can see the motor staying cool enough to avoid locking up. I've seen trikes with no fan shroud. Harley made a couple of bikes without fans too.
wesalbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really understand everyones concerns. I am spending $0 on the engine right now. No chrome parts, no gaskets, NO TINS. I am really leaning towards a rebuilt engine. There is no reason to spend any money on the old engine right now. When I buy another motor it will come with the tins, chrome stuff and everyting that I would be putting on this old, tired, and probably overheated engine.
It isnt getting driven any distances. Maybe around the neighborhood, or around the corner to the store. Thats about it.
My biggest concern right now that moved to the top of the list is the frame horns. I think everyone would agree this is more important than the tins on the motor. The next priority is the pedals, brakes, and the slave for the clutch. Then I am going to be bending brake and clutch lines.
wesalbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I have made alot of headway since this last post. The frame horns have been reinforced, new engine installed and working, new steering, new brakes, lights, switchbox with ignition key, and other little things. Finally was able to drive it around the block tonight. Next I need to figure out rims. I want to go with something wide on the back and some skinnies on the front. Again, this is going to be built for the street.
I will get some pics over the weekend.
caromin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures...
Sandrail
Explorer rail build!

'Rollin Dirt Video!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: